Nail extension tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgieanne

Reaction score
When you do nail extensions do you use clear (actually see trough) creamy clear (the type Sally's sell as clear?!) or a "natural" colour tip ? Sometimes I like to leave my nails natural and find the clear Sally's sell as clear shows the extension

Also
How do you buff and blend your nail tips, I am interested to know as I am having problems with this, regarding the nail tip not blending at all or the opposite extreme, peeling of whilst I'm doing this stage
Also
Do you cut a V on your nail tip before gluing or leave it how you have brought it or do you buy a specific shape?

Yes I have passed my course however I am having problems with the products I have brought and getting use to them, also I am intrigue to see what others do to achieve beautiful thin Uv gel enhancements or overlays?!

If you are doing gel enhancements, then you should be using clear tips. Any other color will be opaque and will not let the uv pass through to cure. I use welless or half well tips. I file down the seam and buff the shine from my tips. I usually do p&w and can use an opaque pink to cover the line if necessary. The welless tips I don't blend as they just sit on the very edge of the nail.

For some reason the fingers I have done with tips have stayed on but the Nails I have done with just gel have after a day or two lifted completely of and I notice are a shade of white?

For some reason the fingers I have done with tips have stayed on but the Nails I have done with just gel have after a day or two lifted completely of and I notice are a shade of white?

Can you let us know what Gel system you are using, and what type of training you have done, that will help us to help you without having to keep asking you questions. :)

Also may you could outline your prep, as, if your nail enhancments are coming clean off then they didn't adhere properly in the first place and that could be down to your prep.

I am using ASP soak of UV gel in white and in pink. For enhancements and overlays .
I have competed a manicure and pedicure course and also a UV gel nail extensions and gel polish course.
I am using the creamy clear nail tips not totally clear and have been old to cut a V in these before gluing on.
For prep I :
Sanitise mine and clients hands
Remove cuticle skin from nail plate and sidewalls
Shape free edge and remove shine from natural nail
Use dehydrator on nail plate
Measure tips cut a V and then glue on appropriate size
Trim nail tip and remove shine of it and then remove any dust with ASP finishing wipe
Shape nail tips
Blend using a 250 grit file and then again remove any dust
Then add 3 layers of gel, curing each for 4minutes in between
Then remove the tacky residue left with ASP finishing wipe

I also stay clear of sidewalls and cuticles when applying gel
Any suggestions?
I am also interested as I how you blend your tips as mine are tricky to blend and end up peeling of during blending?!!

I am using ASP soak of UV gel in white and in pink. For enhancements and overlays .
I have competed a manicure and pedicure course and also a UV gel nail extensions and gel polish course.
I am using the creamy clear nail tips not totally clear and have been old to cut a V in these before gluing on.
For prep I :
Sanitise mine and clients hands
Remove cuticle skin from nail plate and sidewalls
Shape free edge and remove shine from natural nail
Use dehydrator on nail plate
Measure tips cut a V and then glue on appropriate size
Trim nail tip and remove shine of it and then remove any dust with ASP finishing wipe
Shape nail tips
Blend using a 250 grit file and then again remove any dust
Then add 3 layers of gel, curing each for 4minutes in between
Then remove the tacky residue left with ASP finishing wipe

I also stay clear of sidewalls and cuticles when applying gel
Any suggestions?
I am also interested as I how you blend your tips as mine are tricky to blend and end up peeling of during blending?!!

ideas? my tutor hasnt got back to me yet

After you have blended your tips, do you resanitize the nail plate and then apply dehydrator/primer (if needed)? Or do you go ahead with gel application? You should recleanse the nail bed, dehydrate and apply primer or base gel if your system requires it.
You really should be using completely clear tips for extensions especially if you are using white gel. When you use a slightly opaque tip with an opaque gel over it, you risk undercuring. The uv light cannot fully penetrate the gel to cure all layers if a non clear tip is used.
You may want to check your bulbs of your lamp and check to make sure your lamp has enough wattage to cure the gel you're using.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

After you have blended your tips, do you resanitize the nail plate and then apply dehydrator/primer (if needed)? Or do you go ahead with gel application? You should recleanse the nail bed, dehydrate and apply primer or base gel if your system requires it.
You really should be using completely clear tips for extensions especially if you are using white gel. When you use a slightly opaque tip with an opaque gel over it, you risk undercuring. The uv light cannot fully penetrate the gel to cure all layers if a non clear tip is used.
You may want to check your bulbs of your lamp and check to make sure your lamp has enough wattage to cure the gel you're using.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Thank you for this,
I was taught to dehydrate and sanitise before gel application and to after this is a very good point also I am looking at buying some clear tips now, I also thought this would be a problem, Thank you all!

Latest posts

Back