Nail polish, 2 hours not dry??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talented talons

Master Artist
Reaction score
I have a nail tech friend who has a light coloured Orly french manicure polish which is quite new. She used it last night and it still hadn't dried after nearly 2 hours, so when she got up in the morning, it was ruined.

Why would this happen? She never has this problem with any other polishes she has?

I couldn'thelp her as this has never happened to me, but can polish go off?

2 hours is a long time, but I don't know why this has only happened with one particular polish ... it may be an obvious question to ask, but does your friend use any kind of quick dry spray or drops at the end of her manicure service?

has she used this same bottle before with good drying results?

I am thinking it is a polish gone bad. Might want to try thinner coats, longer wait time in between and a nailpolish dryer (quick spray) at the end or an oil at the end like Noodle suggested.

Could she have applied the polish a bit thicker than normal?

Even if it had been applied thicker than normal, two hours still seems a long time for enamel to dry.

What was the tempreture like at the time? like any paint its affected by temp.. too cold and it wont cure completely thru and instead it will hiss off anywhere from mins to hours to days later.... it could be a faulty product, it could be application, it could be temp, could be lots of things.

I appreciatte all your input guys.

She was using it on herself and always does thin layers of polish on her natural nails. She always uses a base coat and a topcoat, but not a quick dry one. this has never happened before and re-does her nails every 3-4 days as she is a busy tech with clients.

This is the first time she had used this particular polish and it is an Orly one so expected it to be good. It waa given to her by another tech and it was vitually new.

I wondered if it had gone off or funny for some reason.

i once got my m.i.l a voucher for a "fancy" salon, they did her nails and it still wasnt dry 8 hrs later :eek:,
i am sure i read years ago in one of my beauty books the chemicals (cant remeber what the name of it is ) in the enamel can break down over time , although i think its a matter of if you dont look after your bottles ,if the necks are clogged etc
coz i have some 4 yr old polishes from creative that are still perfect , i have never had the problem happen to me (thankfully , lol )
hth

This is the first time she had used this particular polish and it is an Orly one so expected it to be good. It waa given to her by another tech and it was vitually new.

I wondered if it had gone off or funny for some reason.
It can be virtually new but how long did it sit on the shelf before being bought? How long did this previous tech have it before giving it to your friend?:confused:
Sounds like a bottle gone bad. Ditch it and get a new one.

Orly's are a good rang of nail enamels so suprised this has happened especially after 2hours of drying time i normaly use Sec & Dry Top Coat which is Fantastic to use. But i agree on the fact it could be down to storage of the product and making sure the neck of the bottle is cleaned regularly so that no air can get inside the bottle. Also i find that especially in winter seasons polish does take longer to dry so temperature can be another factor too.

Latest posts

Back