Nail polish with gel overlay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRL4YOU

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I have a client requesting to have nail polish with gel overlay on their set of nails. I'm assuming it's On top of a nail enhancement to add some length to her nails. Can someone please advise what the correct way to go about this? Should i apply a thin layer on the base then apply the nail polish when the gel is still tacky or should it be applied when it's been filed and shaped and coarse?

Sorry If this question has been asked. I tried searching but I couldn't find the answer :)

Thanks ladies

Very confused with both your questions this evening. Are you qualified completed a gel course?

The only way you will be able to offer her a gel overlay is if you have been trained in gels honey, otherwise it won't be a successful treatment. You won't be covered by your insurance either xx

Sorry for the confusion. Yes I am a trained nail technician in gel. I have a client requesting a solid color gel nails. But at the moment, I currently do not have color gels. So she requested to use use nail polish and with gel overlay to prevent the chipping and cracking. Hope that makes some sense? I'm just wondering what the correct way to do this... Thanks and sorry for any confusion :)

You can polish over fully cured, finished gels.

Why does she want gel over her polish? If its hard gel the polish will last well. If its SOG I'm not sure as I don't do SOG.

If you want to put a gel top coat over standard polish you'll have to wait 24 hours for the polish to fully set and this is impractical, plus you can't guarantee the wear of the service.

Hth's xx

I've never tried nail polish under gel. But here are my thoughts.

From my training, a gel system is made to be used with its own components. The reason why it lasts so long without chipping and cracking is because all the products together form a solid product that lasts.

I would think that if you used nail polish under gel, it will eventually lift, peel, crack or chip.

I wouldn't try it on a client before trying it on myself.

Ahhh I see...not sure. Not sure how successful this would be. The only soak off polish I do is Shellac...that would be perfect.
Maybe someone else that does soak off gels can advise you x

Thank you for all your wonderful feedback and advice. I've never tried this before either so I wanted to get some input before I try. Apparently the client has had it done by her previous nail tech before. I have also heard of some nail techs doing gel nails with nail polish for the tips rather than gel color polish... Perhaps it's done in Canada but not anywhere else?

I will definitely try on myself first before client. If anyone has done this before, please share your experience and any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you xxx

Iv done it on my nails and it lasted the same as they normally would, i just do everything as normal then put a couple coats of polish on before the top layer of gel :)

Thank you lilly104! Can I also ask, would you have to remove the tacky layer first before applying the polish or just leave it be? Thanks :)

Hi GRL4U
I have seen this on UTube - in search type "gelli sandwich" and have tried it myself on my natural nails using my gelish foundation and tio. Not really the correct procedure that we should be carrying out and I understand you should use those quick dry, one coat nail polishes. I tried it with a taupe colour; at the time Gelish didn't do a similar colour. It worked, I kept it on for 8 days before soaking off but I wouldn't do this to a paying client.

Ibd do a uv topcoat that cures under a 36watt in 2mins, it does leave them instantly dry and shiny but from what the people I used it on said there's no comparison to using one of the full soak off systems xx I stopped using it as didn't want there to be confusion among my clients between that and gelish x

Ahh I see was slightly confused. I haven't tried it but believe Chroma (I think that name is correct) is designed to go over any polish? X

Ibd do a uv topcoat that cures under a 36watt in 2mins, it does leave them instantly dry and shiny but from what the people I used it on said there's no comparison to using one of the full soak off systems xx I stopped using it as didn't want there to be confusion among my clients between that and gelish x

That top coat does work on polish, how ever it does dent and crack far, to easily.
But yes I agree with some of the other girls I wouldnt do it on a paying client.

It will crack. If it.was that easy why did the world go.crazy wen shellac,gelac, ect ect became available. Polish will last amazingly well just on top with a normal top coat. You should invest in some colours its crazy not to offer this service if you offer gel nails anyway.

I don't get why you can't just simply polish over the gel overlay if you don't have any type of coloured gel yet? In my experience, polishes last longer over enhancements than they do on natural nails anyway.

Naio also do UV gel top coats (which are supposed to be suitable over polish) but I am not sure what they are like - am not convinced about the quality of Naio but others may know better.

I reckon if it worked there would be a product out there just for this purpose.

What about trying out something like ManiQ from Young Nails that's designed to be mixed with normal polish and then cured. Not sure if it's any good though xx

I have applied nsi finish clear over nail polish then without removing the tacky layer I apply the glaze n go topcoat.I have done this on myself so I don't ruin the design I have done when I do other peoples nails & it works fine.
I know that some people mix polish & gel together I'm sure there is a thread on here about it as a lot of gel polishes are made that way there aren't many that are actually 100% gel.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

sorry didn't mean to heart that post, I'm working from a tablet and thumbs get in the way... ;(

Latest posts

Back