Nail question!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizzBehaviour

Reaction score
Hi my friend has a nail that she banged some time ago and now it has a split up the middle and keeps growing like that. I know nothing about nails so thought I would ask the professionals. X

And here's a pic, phew that took a while! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1354465909.538779.jpg

What was the question? X

i guess the question is what can she do to get it growing back normally?

The bit just below the cuticle is called the matrix, this is where nail growth is determined. Chances are if she has banged this bit and it keeps growing then the damage is permanent I'm afraid. She might find going to a manicurist helpful as they'll be able to advise better seeing it in the flesh x

when a upward split happens like this the damage tends to be permanent as the nails grow downwards from the matrix in a tongued and grooved fashion :sad:

Sorry! Yes the question was can she get it back to normal, the split is about half way up the nail and has been like this for a few months now.

Sometimes damage is not permanent. Even if it is, it often helps to have enhancements or gel polish on nail as this stops the splitting (as the gel polish/enhancement doesn't allow the split to open). I have two clients who have this problem and both have gelish on all the time and split has closed up. Would obviously re-open if gelish left off for any length of time while nail grows.

Latest posts

Back