Nail Repair Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunette87

Reaction score
Hi There! I have been wearing false nails for 2 years without a break. Almost over night a month ago my nails look really bad. The top layer of my nail is there but weak, and there seems to be no nail underneath that - giving a whiter look. When i look at my nail straight on, i can see halfway down under my nail, and 'pieces' of nail.

Is there anything someone could recommend that i can put on my nail to protect them, but also continue wearing my false nails.

Something i could consider doing is putting tips on and just having colour on my nails all the time if i knew how long this would take to repair.

Thanks! :)

Are you a trained nail technician, your profile doesn't give any details.

Hi, no im not trained or training to be a nail technician!

Sounds like Onycholysis to me seperation between nail plate and bed. As you are not a trained professional I advise you have your nails removed professionally or shortened. If you continue to wear enhancements the condition can get worse. Keep your nails short and your hands clean.

I had a look on google images for Onycholysis and my nails look similar to some of these so i think it may be that. Thank you :)

I had a look on google images for Onycholysis and my nails look similar to some of these so i think it may be that. Thank you :)

I'm sure it is that and if so, it is caused by over thinning of the nail plate.

What can thin the nail plate?? Bad use of a drill for filing the surface ... over filing the surface with an ordinary file. Improper removal such as prising the nail coating off with a tool or your teeth.

If you have been going to a discount salon for 2 years and they have been doing these things then chances are they have made your nails weak and thin. Only you know the answer to this.

Weak and thin nails can 'derail' from your nail bed and only time and a technician who knows how to take care of your natural nails will help you.

Onycholysis does not need to happen ... it is not a normal part of having our nails done.

Find a salon who cares and give your nails 6 months to grow out and lots of TLC.

Latest posts

Back