Nail shops everywhere!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateeLouise

Reaction score
Hey geeks, just a quick question, do you think I should finally open my shop in a town that already has 2 NSS salons and 4 other salons? My partner thinks I won't do well because I'd be fighting for business and won't be successful, only thing I sai was my nails are different to all the other salons I do different thugs like 3d art and my art is different so no 1 can copy. Advice would be nice please.
Regards
Katie xxx

I've had a look at your album, and I wouldn't say that your nail art is unique to others; many do very much the same type of work.

Why not rent a chair in one of the already established salons in town, where you may stand out amongst the others there? Much less expense and commitment to heavy rents. Dip your toe in the water and with some experience you may then be better convinced that its a good/or bad idea to move and to open your own place.

Good luck in what ever you decide. One good thing about there being so many salons, is that everyone must be very 'nail aware' and this is always a positive thing.

Hey geeks, just a quick question, do you think I should finally open my shop in a town that already has 2 NSS salons and 4 other salons? My partner thinks I won't do well because I'd be fighting for business and won't be successful, only thing I sai was my nails are different to all the other salons I do different thugs like 3d art and my art is different so no 1 can copy. Advice would be nice please.
Regards
Katie xxx
I am not sure how big your town is ? but is there much call for 3d there ?
many nail techs do it but rarely as it is not your average every day client needs .
i just took a look at your photos to, are your 3d bits hand made ie with a brush ? or a mould or bought? I dont mean to sound hard (I personally LOVE nail art inc most things 3d or glittery ) but the 3d in your photos looks quite generic . and sadly very easy to recreate ,
the only reason I am telling you this is that if you think that is your main thing please don't relie on that others will be able to create the same look.
dont get me wrong , like i said Iam a lover of nail art ,and there ARE nail techs who ARE famous for there nail art ! but they worked there way to that it doesn't just happen , they got experince in nails first and built there skills as they went, most do competitions to work there way up , regular nail classes on ALL aspects ,from natural , to new techniques and products, some go on to get PA's and do sessition work , but all that comes with time passion and skill building.

if you feel that nail art is the niche you want to fill ,then go for it , but maybe learn more skils , art techniques and build a bigger portfolio with the basics first to make your work stand out .

I totally agree with Geeg , try to rent a chair in one of your local salons , if nothing else you will learn how they work as a business.
do you have any qualifications or experience in business ? I only ask as i feel that not having any was my biggest mistake when i started out .

if you really want a salon of your own , and if you do want it known for art or what ever take your time , don't rush right in , learn what you can , save what you can , build and work towords it , when you get there you will feel the difference you will know you have put in the ground work ,

good luck hun :)

Thanks for the replys I have salon experience I have worked in salons since I was 16 I am now 21, my photos in my album are quite old I make 3d things and buy them, I also do quite a lot of freehand painting. I have a client base now and they all say I should open up on my own as renting a chair round here is like £75 to £90 a week, and the shop I am looking at is £50.00 a week and I have a hairdresser wanting to rent a chair off me Aswell and a beautician wanting to rent off me aswell, and I am off on a few courses to do one stroke and more 3d art. X

Thanks for the replys I have salon experience I have worked in salons since I was 16 I am now 21, my photos in my album are quite old I make 3d things and buy them, I also do quite a lot of freehand painting. I have a client base now and they all say I should open up on my own as renting a chair round here is like £75 to £90 a week, and the shop I am looking at is £50.00 a week and I have a hairdresser wanting to rent a chair off me Aswell and a beautician wanting to rent off me aswell, and I am off on a few courses to do one stroke and more 3d art. X

If you have a loyal clientèle who are willing to come with you and they will pay the bills, then you are laughing. go for it.

If you have a loyal clientèle who are willing to come with you and they will pay the bills, then you are laughing. go for it.

Thank you, yes there very loyal and always come to me. X

Can I just ask? This question has been bugging me for ages...what is a NSS salon? Many thanks.

Can I just ask? This question has been bugging me for ages...what is a NSS salon? Many thanks.
It stands for Non Standard Salon ... I think it is a stupid term personally .... But it is supposed to indicate salons that use MMA monomer and have low standards of hygiene etc. People use the term NSS these days to describe nail bars and discount salons with foreign workers, use drills and cause horrendous nail damage (none of which really means they use MMA nor have bad hygiene practices ) which is why I think it is a stupid term to apply to salons of this type. Plus the fact that there are many non foreign technicians that cause horrendous damage without using a drill and who also have bad or no hygienic routine.

These days people misuse the term and seem to call any 'foreign run' salon that uses drills, a non standard salon ... Using that definition, I would be a NSS as I do not come from the UK and I frequently use my drill when working :lol: see what I mean? It is a silly term.

It stands for Non Standard Salon ... I think it is a stupid term personally .... But it is supposed to indicate salons that use MMA monomer and have low standards of hygiene etc. People use the term NSS these days to describe nail bars and discount salons with foreign workers, use drills and cause horrendous nail damage (none of which really means they use MMA nor have bad hygiene practices ) which is why I think it is a stupid term to apply to salons of this type. Plus the fact that there are many non foreign technicians that cause horrendous damage without using a drill and who also have bad or no hygienic routine.

These days people misuse the term and seem to call any 'foreign run' salon that uses drills, a non standard salon ... Using that definition, I would be a NSS as I do not come from the UK and I frequently use my drill when working :lol: see what I mean? It is a silly term.

Thank you for clarifying that Geeg. So it's the nail tech's version of what we hairdressers call a 'sweaty Betty' hair salon? Is that right?

Thank you for clarifying that Geeg. So it's the nail tech's version of what we hairdressers call a 'sweaty Betty' hair salon? Is that right?

Lol. Probably!

Sometimes people refer to NSS also as chop shops (which isn't very nice) which is unfair as I know lots of really brilliant nail technicians from South East Asia. Many nail bars are run by South East Asians who do great work and do not deserve to be lumped together under the banner of NSS, which is why I do not like the term.

I've never heard of that expression before PMSL!!:lol:

Good Luck with your venture.

I too luv nail art but I've only just started out in this business (this month) I also love the one stroke I wanted to do one of Jemma Lamberts courses but I am unable to at the moment :(

I might go and see my mum as used to be a narrowboat painter and I'll get her to teach me how to do the roses that she does but in a mini version. x

I had to also ask about NSS as that's what my partners businesses is called.
Neil Simpson security as he is an alarm and camera business.
Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I've never heard of that expression before PMSL!!:lol:
There are some funny ones. In Australia they refer to hobbiest and mobile nail technicians as 'back yard Barbies' here in the UK as the Kitchen Mafia or the 'ironing-board brigade'. I'm sure there are lots more ...Carl (Nailzoo) I'm sure will be good for a few more! Perhaps we should start a new thread?

Like anything, generalisations do not fit all and there are plenty of professional mobile technicians but there must be enough of the other type for these things to get a 'name' in the first place.

Yes good luck with what you decide to do :) xx

Wow some funny names Geeg, you should start a thread, could do with a giggle :) xx

One thing t think about is all that comes with opening your own shop and business, it might be £90 to rent a chair but that's where the costs end.

If your starting your own business and renting a shop you need alot more, business rates/council tax, water rates, electricity and or gas, all testing of premises, council checks, insurance of business and premises, all checks on items, fire checks and renting of fire supplies, health and safety, music licence, business rubbish removal, it's illegal to take rubbish to your home bins and of put in someone's a else's even with an agreement (I now as opticians I used to work for did this with neighbours shop and got caught and even tho both parties had agreed, council fined them both) plus lts more, business account, vat account etc etc its alot more complicated than you think, I now a friend haS just opened a small business and thought it was fab renting the shop cheap, but ouch it's not now so cheap.

Just thought I'd make you think, I'm not saying dont go for it, but you do have to do t right from the start, as all these bill will come in.

One thing t think about is all that comes with opening your own shop and business, it might be £90 to rent a chair but that's where the costs end.

If your starting your own business and renting a shop you need alot more, business rates/council tax, water rates, electricity and or gas, all testing of premises, council checks, insurance of business and premises, all checks on items, fire checks and renting of fire supplies, health and safety, music licence, business rubbish removal, it's illegal to take rubbish to your home bins and of put in someone's a else's even with an agreement (I now as opticians I used to work for did this with neighbours shop and got caught and even tho both parties had agreed, council fined them both) plus lts more, business account, vat account etc etc its alot more complicated than you think, I now a friend haS just opened a small business and thought it was fab renting the shop cheap, but ouch it's not now so cheap.

Just thought I'd make you think, I'm not saying dont go for it, but you do have to do t right from the start, as all these bill will come in.
Thanks for reply, the shop is exempt for business rates and its only electric and water and music licence and all my items have been pay tested and i have got insurance too x

Check the exemption hun as alot of exemptions are only for 3 or 6 months then you have to pay in full.

Wow some funny names Geeg, you should start a thread, could do with a giggle :) xx

In the U.S. we have Kitchen Beautician!

Latest posts

Back