Nail tech Aspirations! Help really appreciated x

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Axl Rose

Reaction score
Hello-My names Julie and I've been reading this site a lot recently- it has been invaluable in helping me make career decisions- I've found out so much from all the professionals here and would like to say a huge thank you! Your knowledge amazes me!
I'm a mother of 2, working part time at the moment in a job I detest and have finally made the decision to change my future by training in nails. I love using good quality products and seeing the improvments from regular manicures. I find it quite theraputic and like the idea of working for myself and pampering others.
I was looking at going mobile/home based eventually even though that is a long way off yet. i have signed up for the VTCT in nail technology/nail art at my local college. i was hoping this would give me an introduction to the world of nails that i could build on by training with CND/S2? I have phoned and spoken to them for some advice also-they sent me a brochure and explained pricing and content.

I have an interest in the natural nail and would like to be able to give a really good quality manicure and offer shellack polishes. Maybe minx. Do you think that a good foundation for me would be to do the CND natural manicure foundation course(1 day) then shellack training -(which i assume is free if you have a CND certificate and purchase the shellack system)?
i am a little overwhelmed -if i am honnest- about the whole enhancement route-it is something i have never done before. Do you think I could have a decent trade from doing the natural nail only?
I am sorry to go on but i am so confused by all the information-my heads in a spin.:confused:
I start college in September if i decide to go ahead with the VTCT which covers mani- acrylics-gels and nail art. OR i could go with the 1 day natural nails course with CND followed by shellack and LOTS of practice!! Opinions on what sounds the best route from others would be a great help!:o

Welcome to the industry!

I had a funny chat with my Shellac trainer today about girls who enter the industry underestimating the talent needed. Don't be one of them!

Natural nail care is a great beginning. But I will note that polishing someone elses nails is very different from your own. And most client's expect top notch polishing. It took me 3 months of 6-8 mani's and pedi's a day, 5 days a week to finally be really good at it. Eventually I could do a french manicure without fixing my whites. Practice, practice, practice.

I personally find acrylic more difficult than gel, but I've been doing gel for 3 years now and only dabbled in acrylic. It also has more of an odour. But I know some tech's who find gel way more difficult.

This is turning into a long-winded post :lol: like usual for me.

I did my first gel training one-on-one and my second gel training in a class-type setting. I was astonished at how the girls expected it to be a breeze and to just be off and running with a business the next week. Uh, no. They don't call it sculpting for nothing. You become an artist. Truly.

Lots of girls break down and give up (which I did during my first go at gels) because they don't look great. But if it was easy, there wouldn't be training. I just started with Shellac though, as I am opening a Spa and think it's fantastic. It's a good medium between gel nails and natural polish. I got the hang of it after my second nail, but I've been in this industry since before I finished high school. So I tend to pick things up quicker.

I'll just point out some things though. Being mobile can be a tough gig. Especially when you're carrying around 20 bottles of nail polish, products, possibly a table, maybe a light, and maybe a UV lamp if you're doing gels. Trust me on this one, it's VERY taxing on your body.

Expect to have your nails look sub-par for months, unless you're that one girl in every training class that picks it up within a few minutes.

Hope this all helps you. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any more advice/info!

Thanks so much for your no nonsense reply-you put into words some of my fears. As i mentionned i have never done enhancements before and after watching some tutorials on here for info I was to put it simply-horrified!! I was wondering what I've let myself in for- I can't imagine ever being able to do it-but then I don't want to start out with a defeatest attitude.i guess if i don't try I'll never know.

I've started looking in more depth into the manicure and polish application since I decided to train- JUST to see if i think I am going to be able to up my standards and i can see that a pro is highly skilled. At least I feel that i could work on my polish skills but enhancments are a different ball game-i was guessing it was a skill you could either do or not.:confused:

I don't want to make the wrong decision as at my age all of these courses at college cost me money and i can't afford to make an expensive mistake. Still-i know noyone can guide me with that-its up to me. I've ordered some of the recommended books and am constantly researching. I think i will switch my tactics after reading your post to practising my polish application -inspiring at least that you were able to improve your skills.
I might keep a photographic record to mark any improvments i make (if any) LOL!!

I am guessing that i will do the course and see just how good or bad i am at different things. At least then i know if its worth me pursuing a CND course. I still think I want to do natural nails though but maybe thats just the fear of the unknown!!

You can learn to create great gel nail enhancements if you want to put in the practice. It takes longer than learning to polish.

You should always start with a manicuring class. Thats your foundation.

They seem to try and cram an awful lot into 1 course- I like the way CND split it up.

Well I did my original mani and pedi course in high school cosmetology and then did my first gel course before i graduated with NSI and did another mani, pedi and LCN gel nails course while becoming an Esthetician so it's kind of in my blood you could say :lol:

Once you learn the process of a mani and pedi, it gets repetitive and you get into the swing of it.

artificial nails can be a different story. took me almost 2 years to finally get it perfect.

Latest posts

Back