Nail trainer help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppy2

Reaction score
Hi Ive bought a nail training hand today and im having trouble gettimg any tips to stick. Ive followed advise about holding 20 seconds or more, putting bowl of water nearby to help moisture in air, im not in too hot or too cold a room ,etc. Tried the glue that came with the hand and also normal tip glue
Tried filing the nail tip to help it bond
Pulling my hair out now
any ideas? anyone else have same trouble. I want to practice my acrylics

Hi Ive bought a nail training hand today and im having trouble gettimg any tips to stick. Ive followed advise about holding 20 seconds or more, putting bowl of water nearby to help moisture in air, im not in too hot or too cold a room ,etc. Tried the glue that came with the hand and also normal tip glue
Tried filing the nail tip to help it bond
Pulling my hair out now
any ideas? anyone else have same trouble. I want to practice my acrylics

Where did you buy it from?

I found that it wasn't the glue that was the problem but the fact that the trainers nails were very flat so the tips didn't sit flush,thus making it difficult to stick.

Try using tips for flat nails,then go up a couple of sizes and cutting into the well,so the tip splays a bit,if you know wht I mean.

The nail trainer is designed for you to be able to fit tips to any nail shape, curvy, flat, nail bitten etc.
You should have a selection of nail plates to work on that you attach to the hand, they all vary in different shapes and sizes.

Basically what you need to do is assess what type of tip needs to be applied to that particular nail plate.
For example:
I use Creative tips - now if I needed to adhere a tip to a nail plate that is flat or has a slightly square-ish "C" curve, then I would either use the Formation or the Eclipse tips. These will adhere to the nail fine because they are made for that particular shape.

What tips are you using?

Before you can tackle any system, be it liquid and powder, gel etc, you really need to master applying tips.

HTH

As has been said making sure you're applying the correct size tip is ultra important.
I use gelbond adhesive with my nail trainer, it's a pressure set adhesive, 10 seconds normally (on a client) but I find 10-15 seconds is usually enough when applying tips to the nail trainer.

Jules, sorry to `but in' but I'm new to nails and have used the nail trainer at college and was thinking of getting one. Would u recommend this? Or is something not used much as my tutor keeps saying its not like real nails u know. Many thanks Deb

Jules, sorry to `but in' but I'm new to nails and have used the nail trainer at college and was thinking of getting one. Would u recommend this? Or is something not used much as my tutor keeps saying its not like real nails u know. Many thanks Deb

You'll be extremely surprised how many of us actually own a nail trainer.
I am one of them. Yes , yes I do recommend having one. It can be the difference between you practicing as much as possible and almost no practice at all.
Your tutor is right in saying, it isn't like a real hand. But the idea of it is to help you to get use to fitting tips to any nail shape going, and once you have mastered that, it is great to use when you are getting to grips with applying your product.
Basically, IMO, it is harder to apply nails to a nail trainer than a real hand. So if you can do it on that, you should be able to tackle your techniques on anyone.
There's nothing like practicing on a live model, but unfortunately they don't grow on trees, which means you don't get your practice as much as you need to.
Over all a good investment.

HTH

Whilst I agree for the most part with Tiger Jay I also agree with babsann because I was unable to fit OPI tips to my nail trainer as they had quite a c curve (even with gelbond!). The nails are quite flat so therefore go for a tip thats not got a deep c curve.
HTH

Essential nails sell tips that are specifically designed to fit the nail trainer. They are not very expensive and it saves you using your more expensive ones. I have a nail trainer and you can use your normal tips, but i too have experienced tips that would'nt stick. As it has been said already, if you use regular tips you need to use the flatter ones otherwise it is very difficult.
I love my nail trainer, but it doesn't compare to a live model (only cos i can't see how long they'll last!)
Good luck XX

April

Thanks for the replies.
The size is fine on the tips im trying to attach so maybe its the flatness of the nails as you suggest so ill try changing tip shape

I knwo i need to master applying tips which is why i want to get using this trainer
I bought it from someone who is not doing nails now and she bought it from essential nails.

Will get some more tips form essential and have a go later
thank everyone

Yes you were all right . It was flat nails on trainer and my tips not suitable for flat nails . Now sorted and practising away like mad
This is such a brilliant site

:)

Latest posts

Back