Nail Zoo's "How to train your brush to be flat' video.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisaowens

Reaction score
click this link Nail Zoo Video Page then click on " how to make a oval brush flat" its the first video in list
what is he doing ?

Most of us like to work with a flattened brush.

He is showing you his method of training the brush to stay in this flat shape.

i diddnt know this i was told to always roll my brush into point after using it should i flatten mine ? sorry a bit confused
thankyou in advance

Well if a round brush with a point works for you then stick with it but as we 99% of the time want our brush to be flat so that it creates a beautiful smooth surface, it makes sense to train it into this shape and keep it in this shape.

BUT each to their own. Can't say I know any nail technicians who don't do this though. It works for me.

When I first saw the video a while back, I wasn't sure whether I would like to work with such a flat brush. However, like geeg says, I now actually prefer working with a flat brush.

Imho it is far easier, as the monomer isn't all in the belly of the brush - more evenly distributed and also when patting and nudging, you are working over a larger span of the L&P and therefore not nudging all to one side iykwim :lol:

Lastly as there is a nice crisp point at the corner of the flag (brush), then it is ideal to swipe/crisp up your smile line :green:

HTHs xxx

ohh maybe it will work for me a flat brush would be be better (im new to this industry as u can tell lol) ?
How do u flatten yous ?
thankyou
Could i ask you a question when i apply my 1st ball nr cuticle im ok with that its the 2nd ball (stress area) even though i push this oin the pull u can see where i placed it a line if you know what i mean ? how can i get round this ?
thankyou once again

I tried his technique on one of my older brushes I was getting ready to throw away, and now said brush has a new lease on life! It was ratty on the ends kept getting dried acrylic chunks stuck on the bristles no matter how long I soaked it. I figured, "What the hey, it's an old brush and destined for brush heaven anyway, give it a whirl...." and Great Googley Moogley! It's now one of 2 most used brushes!

I followed his instructions and I know the family thought I was nuts as they watched me, but after the 2 days I used it on my own nails and was blown away. It keeps its shape now like it never did before and it has just enough firmness to press the l&p ball perfectly on the regrowth area but not so firm that it flattens it too much. And keep in mind that this was not a great brush to begin with; it was one of the first ones I bought after training and was a cheap-o. 3 cheers for the Zoo!:green:

ohh maybe it will work for me a flat brush would be be better (im new to this industry as u can tell lol) ?
How do u flatten yours ?
thankyou
Could i ask you a question when i apply my 1st ball nr cuticle im ok with that its the 2nd ball (stress area) even though i push this oin the pull u can see where i placed it a line if you know what i mean ? how can i get round this ?
thankyou once again

I do not use the method you describe. Although some do it when only using one colour, I think it makes much more sense logically to apply the first white bead at the free edge and then move to zone 2 and then zone 3 ... much more logical in my opinion. It creates better and more consistent balance and NO lines. Give it a try. And maybe buy a copy of 'nailclass' which will help you loads with your technique. You can buy it at mundo

i diddnt know this i was told to always roll my brush into point after using it should i flatten mine ? sorry a bit confused
thankyou in advance

Hi all

I think this is personal preferance (spelling sorry) I used to work with a flat brush, and now roll to a point.

So I agree what ever works for you:hug:

I have clever brushes that flatten out and do their job, then taper up to make the smile then flatten out again to finish the job ;)

I trained my oval brush flat and LOVEIT.. its perfect for me.. Mine has a sharp corner still that i can perfect with and i get much more consistant ratio of product with it flat then tapered.. P.Preference i suppose!
doing zont 3 before zone 2 is where your problem lays.. try doing it zone 2 then placing zone 3 just on top of and before where zone 3 starts.. you will immediatly see a difference as its easier to push pull.. here is Geegs tutorial on making zone 3 dissapear.. it gives a better explanation of what im trying to say.. and its where i learnt it in the first place.. (as before i was placing the ball in zone 3 and running into troble with thickness..)

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9200-product-control-part-4-zone-3-making-disappear.html

and this is a fab tutorial worth looking at too..

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9096-product-control-part-3-zone-2-making-last.html

these two helped me immensley.. good luck!

it's horses for courses really, it's just how i prefer to work, the video was done to answer many questions .... a picture paints a thousand words , well a video says a million.
It's whatever suits you, nobody is right and nobody is wrong.
Some start at zone 1, some start at zone 3, some do 3 applications, some do 4, some do 5, it's whatever it takes.
As you progress you will learn to achieve results in fewer stages and in different ways. Your initial training is merely a starting point.

Latest posts

Back