nailbiters sculpt and pinching "C" curve by tammy taylor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say it looked great - the finished nail, but i'm not very happy about wiping the brush all over the skin as she did, that's a bad over-exposure risk, especially if there's open or broken skin around the cuticles.
I can understand the logic in how & what she did tho & will give it a try, but not touching the skin.
I have done a similar thing, whereby i've made a nail plate & then sunk a tip into it, let it set, applied acrylic into the 3 zones as usual, worked a treat, got it from an american website.
Thanks for the link, i've saved it to look at again.:hug:

Just wanted to throw in my experience. I bought this video and used the technique on a severe nail bitter who was getting married. Her nails stayed on for three weeks w/o lifting or breaking. It also works on a nail that has broken and has no free edge to speak of.

Thanks for sharing, have saved, and will try. xx

many of you guys "geeks" have been taught a specific way or method, ..... anything different will look/feel different ..... but please continue to learn/expand/experience, nothing is gospel, no matter what anyone says, take a little from here, a little from there and more importantly a lot of commonsense from yourself. Nails are learned over many years, not over a few courses, learn to appreciate, yet differentiate from people willing to teach you, no matter what product concerned. Take it all in...... why not ? some of it is for free and some you have to pay for, but it's all education from people who have proven themselves over many years ...... and just when you think it all looks fine, check out a left-hander. That will do your head in all over again.

I have also been told never to let any products touch the skin. The brush was everywhere!

Touching the skin with the brush can lift oil from the skin and that then contaminates the brush and can contribute to lifting. :eek: Also the client is likely to get overexposure problems a little while down the line, just like they can if you take the product right up to the side walls as advised in this video :eek: and this is the case no matter whose product you are applying, this is a general rule not product and manufacturer related....I also thought that the white looked too thick and far too long....nails biters are more likely to break the nails if they are very long as they are not used to them and because there is not enough nails bed to hold the new free edge. To be honest I was not that impressed

VHunter said:
AWESOME!!

Thanks oodles!
Gonna try to save that for future reference when I finally do L&P course.

But.. (and you knew there was a "but", right? ROFL)

how does that work with UV Gel?

LOL

:hug:

Hello Victoria,

It works with gel.

Put base gel on the natural nail, flash cure.

Put a thin layer of a builder gel to extend the nail bed/create a free edge. Warning: although the layer is thin, it can burn, so ask your client to leave the hand 30 secondes in front of the UV lamp before going in. You don't need a very thick gel. I use Akzentz Trilite or French White who are self-leveling but in thin layers, they never run on the form.
Full cure.

I know some people just use the base gel to create/extend the free edge, but it's not very strong.

Then complete your nail as usual, as if you had a non-bitten nail. But don't remove the forms until the next layer of gel has been cured.

However, properly fitting the form is not always possible, especially when people have hard skin in front on the bitten edge. If it happens, you have to thicken the natural nail to level it with the skin first.

Best regards,

Thanks Frank!
I dont have a 'base gel' in my system, we use a liquid bonder.
But I will try that flash cure and pinch business.

My only concern is this:

To 'pinch' the curve, you must touch the product.
My understanding with uv gels is you mustn't touch it if you're going to apply another layer of gel.
Wouldn't I have to buff and dehydrate again before my next layer?

many of you guys "geeks" have been taught a specific way or method, ..... anything different will look/feel different ..... but please continue to learn/expand/experience, nothing is gospel, no matter what anyone says, take a little from here, a little from there and more importantly a lot of commonsense from yourself. Nails are learned over many years, not over a few courses, learn to appreciate, yet differentiate from people willing to teach you, no matter what product concerned. Take it all in...... why not ? some of it is for free and some you have to pay for, but it's all education from people who have proven themselves over many years ...... and just when you think it all looks fine, check out a left-hander. That will do your head in all over again.

Well said Nailzoo!

VHunter said:
To 'pinch' the curve, you must touch the product.
My understanding with uv gels is you mustn't touch it if you're going to apply another layer of gel.
Wouldn't I have to buff and dehydrate again before my next layer?

You can definitely pinch, but don't use your nails. Use a tool.
I use the Young Nails "Magic Wand" to do the trick.

mw1.jpg

VHunter said:
Thanks Frank!
I dont have a 'base gel' in my system, we use a liquid bonder.

"base gel" doesn't mean that "base" is written on the pot. It's the first, thin, layer that you apply onto the natural nail. It can be the same as your builder gel.

axey said:
You can definitely pinch, but don't use your nails. Use a tool.
I use the Young Nails "Magic Wand" to do the trick.

mw1.jpg

Oh:eek: that looks nifty. Kinda like those 'twanging' thingies that musicians or singers use to sing/play "in key" LOL:lol:
I guess ordinary tweezers (if large enough) would do?
Will ask my hubby and show him this pic. he works at a medical supply company and can get me all kinds of toys LOL

Thanks again!!!

i use the magic wand all the time its great!! gives a fantastic C CURVE which gives the strength you need instead of having a flat nail.

Tip: You can also use the other end of your acrylic brush (put it under the nail and gently pinch either side if the acrylic, or use pinch sticks which also go under the nail . :)

sarita said:
i use the magic wand all the time its great, you can also use the other end of your acrylic brush, or pinch sticks also. :)

The Magic Wand is fab to pinch, I love it !

But while the other end is supposed to be a cuticle pusher and dead skin remover, I found it was very bad for that job.

Sure, medical companies have similar tools.

oey said:
Well I am amased as to how much the brush touches the clients skin on her finger! I thought that this was a complete no no!

Looks nice though - and looks so easy - i bet its not that simple!

I was just saying exactly the same thing to my hubby!! LOL Does look nice finished though. But surely you could cause over exposure of product doing that?

VHunter said:
Oh:eek: that looks nifty. Kinda like those 'twanging' thingies that musicians or singers use to sing/play "in key" LOL:lol:
Will ask my hubby and show him this pic. he works at a medical supply company and can get me all kinds of toys LOL

Thanks again!!!

Hi how much was this tool & can you get them other places as well? Seen the tubes used, which come in differnent sizes they look good. Would you recommend using these then or are they not really needed?

Yet another tool/product to buy, try using you thumbnails as shown in many posts, it's like buying aluminium "c" curves, ........it's a bit of round aluminium for gods sake, why not buy bits of wood at 80% of the price from a hardware store, your clients may be impressed by pretty colored bits of aluminium dowel, but they will be more impressed with your common knowledge and "nouse" using a bit of wood, half of them while looking at you with a bit of pretty colored bit of aluminium would be thinking "why doesn't she use a bit of wood" ? I think clients respect you more for commonsense, rather than the gullibility of buying another bit of expensive tripe.

VHunter said:

Thanks again!!!

I use large tweezers (medical ones used to open sterile packs with)that do not have ridges in the inside and they work great and dont cost anywhere near as much as the wand does...I even sold a pair to Mandini and she loves them.

nailzoo said:
Yet another tool/product to buy, try using you thumbnails as shown in many posts, it's like buying aluminium "c" curves, ........it's a bit of round aluminium for gods sake, why not buy bits of wood at 80% of the price from a hardware store, your clients may be impressed by pretty colored bits of aluminium dowel, but they will be more impressed with your common knowledge and "nouse" using a bit of wood, half of them while looking at you with a bit of pretty colored bit of aluminium would be thinking "why doesn't she use a bit of wood" ? I think clients respect you more for commonsense, rather than the gullibility of buying another bit of expensive tripe.

While I agree with you, keep in mind, I do UV Gel and should not touch the gel if I'm putting another layer on top.
I will do as mentioned earlier and show the pic to my hubby and see what he can dig up at work for me. I'm SURE they've got something similar I can use that is FREE (hehe gotta love having the inside track for some supplies LOL)

And yes, my clients LOVE me for my common sense and that I dont try to gouge them because Im spending a fortune on things that I dont need or could get elsewhere for less.

VHunter said:
While I agree with you, keep in mind, I do UV Gel and should not touch the gel if I'm putting another layer on top.
I will do as mentioned earlier and show the pic to my hubby and see what he can dig up at work for me. I'm SURE they've got something similar I can use that is FREE (hehe gotta love having the inside track for some supplies LOL)

And yes, my clients LOVE me for my common sense and that I dont try to gouge them because Im spending a fortune on things that I dont need or could get elsewhere for less.
He will be able to get what I use then...... large tweezers (medical ones used to open sterile packs with) that have NO ridges inside.

well i think Tammy Taylor makes it look so easy! Great nails!

Latest posts

Back