Nails going thin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiG

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know why nails can go thin and weaker when they are never normally like that? My manicure client (male in his 40's) says hes never had that problem before but just that they feel thinner than they used to.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sam
x

off the top of my head changes in the nail are normally associated with health and nutrition. Not sure if age is a factor as many elderly ladies have long, strong nails.

Sometimes if the issue is on one nail it may be associated with damage to the matrix.

Over buffing may cause thinness on the natural nail if repeated too often - do you use a three way buffer?

Hi,

Yes, I do use a 3 way buffer for a shine, every 2 weeks after a manicure.
Shouldn't I be doing this? Oh dear! I hope I haven't caused it.

Sam xx

Do you use all three sides every time or just side that adds shine?

I wouldn't use the first two sides of a three way buffer if the nails remained smooth and ridgeless. My understanding is that the first and second sides are there to 'smooth' the natural nail so to speak. It may not need doing each time the customer has a manicure.

Try laying off until needed, just use the third side and get some solar oil on those thinning nails. It might either find the cause or eliminate one idea.

Good luck

Orin x

Thanks hun,

I was using 3 sides every 2 weeks. It didn't even enter my mind that it might be affecting the nails. I'll try just shining for the next few appts. I'll let you know what happens!

Sam x

Satin buffs gray /white, then shiny gray

I have quite a few male clients for manicures and only ever buff gray/white the new growth (otherwise you will thin the nail). Then use the shiny gray all over.

Better still use a glossing buff.

Keep in mind, if the buff removes ridges, it does remove nail.

So glad I read this thread before I ended up with the same problem :smack:

Latest posts

Back