nails weird colour!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melissaq

Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia,Canada
I have a technical question and thought you fellow geeks may help. My mother lives in the States and I'm here in Canada .....she is having a problem with her nails .....she has recently been sick and she has told me her nails are a weird orange - red colour and the nails on the free edge are very yellow....she has had enhancements in the recent past but none now.....could this be due to dehydration? I have never seen/heard nails like this anyone got any idea what may be the trouble?

It may help if you posted a pic of her nails?
Sorry I couldn't help more

she is in the States.....away from me.....I'm going on what she said....:rolleyes:

ahh I see!
Sorry! I read it wrong when you said "I have never seen nails like this", I presumed you had seen a picture.

I'll do an edit...

just wanted to bump this up I need help...... it's my mommy !

Right oh, without seeing the nails or knowing the condition it's really next to impossible to diagnose properly - best be safe and suggest she visits a doctor if she is concerned.

If the colour is all the way through the nail plate, then it is something effecting the matrix.

Here are some possible causes of nail plate discolouration:

i. Psorisis - can make the nail extremely porous and damaged, leads to salomon patches (sometimes it only exhibits on the nail plate and no where else)

ii. Environmental discolouration - if the nail is in poor condition (possible after severe illness) it may be extremely suseptible to being stained by external sources.

iii. medication - certain types of medication (iodine etc) can cause strange discolouration of all sorts of things.... including the human body.

not much help as I said, but might give some clues.

um... I'm having to agree with the meds issue... if she had a dreaded UTI, one of the pain drugs turns EVERYTHING orangy-red...like your sweat, saliva, urine, generally any bodily fluid you'd ever have....

I've seen sweat from people on this med permanantly turn fingernails wierd shades of orange.

thanks girls I will tell her what you said....most important go to the docs.....

Latest posts

Back