Natural nails (free edge) curving over fingertip but only on one hand?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewNailsbyJulie

Reaction score
I am still at the training stage and I spoke to a lady last night who showed me her nails...on one hand they seemed fine but on the other, all her nails, instead of growing straight they (the free edges) were curving over the end of the actual finger (her nails were a nice length, some fairly long)?

I will see her again soon and ask some more questions as I can't remember whether her nails were particually soft or thin.....I said I would investigate for her...

All I have found out so far is that it could be called Eggshell Nails but it sounds like this type is always thin as well as curving, and there are possible causes (so I have read) for Eggshell Nails such as medication, diet, nervous disorder...

But this lady only has this problem on one hand? It doesn't look very nice so I am keen to help her any way I can (I think she said she worked at a children's nursery) so I am thinking that surely it has to do with something she is doing with just that hand and not the other?

Hi Hun

What course did you decide to do? The only reason i ask is because most courses cover nail disorders and how to treat them, and i for one am not quite sure what it is you're asking.

A couple of books i suggest you get are Marian Newmans 'The Complete Nail Technician' and 'The Encyclopedia of Nails' by Jacqui Jefford and Anne Swain - both have a very detailed chapter on nail conditions (if you don't have them already) xx

Last edited:
I think you're talking about an eggshell nail. If I remember correctly, that kind of condition is caused internally, so it's not something you can get from picking up a child or something.

I never learned how to deal with nails like that either though. My school didn't teach me jack squat. I just know they're fragile

the only things i know about eggshell nails are that they tend to contain a lot more moisture in them which is why they are so fragile, they can be caused by medication, if your client is on any then maybe she should ask the doc for advice.

lastly you can work on them but they are very fragile and prone to breaking very easily.

(am a big swat and have been learning my nail disorders this weekend).

tigi

Latest posts

Back