"Naughty" Clients, how to deal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok, I don't mean they are bad people. I don't mean that they are rude or disrespectful or anything like that.

I mean that no matter what you do, they just don't listen to aftercare advice.... and then get frustrated when things aren't going their way.
Are there some that just can NOT be taught?

What do YOU do? How do you turn "naughty" clients around?

Ok, I have new client.
She's a part time waitress, and does housekeeping on the side.
She's a former client of NSS.

She came to me with nails badly damaged, and one thumb with onycholosis (sp? too early in the morning for me...) up one side and halfway across to the middle with a 'greenie'. I asked about it, and she said it had been like that for months.
So, my advice was: to keep the nail short to prevent it catching and worsening the separation, see a doctor ASAP, use gloves when house keeping because those infections like water and it's important to keep it dry, use tea-tree oil daily until she sees a DR. and/or while getting treated by the doctor. I explained the differences about tea-tree oil, and that not to get the aromatherapy kind, that she needed the pure tea-tree oil. I explained about greenies....
I gave her the full consult and advice about general aftercare.

She won't wear gloves. She won't go see the doctor. She won't keep it short. Insists on dark colours over it (although I explained that can worsen it, greenies likeing dark places...). She did buy the tea-tree oil, but bought the aromatherapy kind WHICH had colorant in it, and further stained the underside of her nail :rolleyes: even though I had told her which store and which kind.
Oh, and she's complaining about her top-gloss turning yellow WHICH I explained repeatedly that if she's using harsh cleaners without wearing gloves, that they could cause the yellowing.

How would you turn her around and what could I have done differently?
I feel like telling her that until she has a note from the doctor, I'd rather not do her nails anymore. BUT she's the kind, I 'think', that would head right back to the NSS if I did that.

UGH.....frustrated :irked:

Unfortunately, some people will never do what they are supposed to do, no matter what you say. That ol', 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' saying comes to mind.

I guess you can keep doing what you're doing OR don't accept her as a client.

I hate to be blunt, but...

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

As same as my mechanic would if I were pouring kerosine in my car and then wondering why my opel has dropped dead, or took me to heaven to play harph with it :green:

Ok, the comparison might be harsh, but I'm trying to cheer you up a bit :green:

You did everything right, Victoria. Acts have consequences, and you made her aware of it. If you made it clear, 'this will cause that and I can't make it prettier', then what more? It's up to her. And even if she goes back to NSS, that's not your responsibility too. As my nana said, you cannot bake enough cake for everyone in the willage, and everyone won't like it. You cannot 'save' someone who does not want to be saved. I know you are a great tech, but also, don't lose your sleep if you don't have to...

Or maybe, in time, she comes around... you know, when she sees for herself... if you don't push, just from time to time, you look at her with the 'I told you so' look. I've had clients like that. And I was gently, not pushy, repeating myself. And they begin to trust me and accepted new, better ways.

Last edited:
If it was too bad - needing medical treatment - I'd tell them I will book your next appointment AFTER they see a doctor. You are putting yourself into a position of legal liability.

Sorry but I just wouldn't keep treating her! You have given your advice and she won't follow it so tell her that you have checked with your insurance and they advise to no longer treat her until she seeks medical attention and the problem is alleviated. You sound like a good, experienced and knowlegable nail tech don't let her lower those standards. If your seeing the natural nail deteriorating we cannot as therapists keep hiding this and have to advise the client accordingly. If she dosn't listen - let her trot right back over to the NSS salon where in three years time she will cry because her natural nails would have dropped off and then what will she still her pretty nails extensions too!

I would also say though if your giving your clients advise 'keep it simple stupid' always applys. Not because I think my clients are stupid, but they don't have the training we have and what you tell them that you took years to remember is forgotten in seconds.

As a rule I tell my clients 3 pieces of important info each time I see them. 3 bits of info is more easier to remember than 10!. Also write it down for her. Busy people, busy lives we want our nails done - not a lecture, harsh but true hence why these NSS salons still exist. No idle chatter, nothing to remember advise wise, cheap and quick just the way people these days like it! That is until they have virtually no nail left.

I refuse to treat anyone who has been to these salons as I took a set off once being young and naive and I have never in my life seen such a mess. I refused to put the nails back on and the girl was off to a wedding that weekend. She cried her heart out but thats the price some people pay for saving a bit of money. Shouldnt be allowed to happen but it does. Her nails had holes in the middle that were bleeding and they had been drilled so thinly they were like tissue paper. I realised then I could never put them back on and she did become a client for like after that.

Ok, I don't mean they are bad people. I don't mean that they are rude or disrespectful or anything like that.

I mean that no matter what you do, they just don't listen to aftercare advice.... and then get frustrated when things aren't going their way.
Are there some that just can NOT be taught?

What do YOU do? How do you turn "naughty" clients around?

Ok, I have new client.
She's a part time waitress, and does housekeeping on the side.
She's a former client of NSS.

She came to me with nails badly damaged, and one thumb with onycholosis (sp? too early in the morning for me...) up one side and halfway across to the middle with a 'greenie'. I asked about it, and she said it had been like that for months.
So, my advice was: to keep the nail short to prevent it catching and worsening the separation, see a doctor ASAP, use gloves when house keeping because those infections like water and it's important to keep it dry, use tea-tree oil daily until she sees a DR. and/or while getting treated by the doctor. I explained the differences about tea-tree oil, and that not to get the aromatherapy kind, that she needed the pure tea-tree oil. I explained about greenies....
I gave her the full consult and advice about general aftercare.

She won't wear gloves. She won't go see the doctor. She won't keep it short. Insists on dark colours over it (although I explained that can worsen it, greenies likeing dark places...). She did buy the tea-tree oil, but bought the aromatherapy kind WHICH had colorant in it, and further stained the underside of her nail :rolleyes: even though I had told her which store and which kind.
Oh, and she's complaining about her top-gloss turning yellow WHICH I explained repeatedly that if she's using harsh cleaners without wearing gloves, that they could cause the yellowing.

I'm sorry to say this V but at this point I would be booked up for evermore and lose the plot.
THIS is the type of client who is liable to claim YOU have caused the damage....would you like that gem adding to your reputation?
She's already saying YOUR top coat turns yellow...

I feel like telling her that until she has a note from the doctor, I'd rather not do her nails anymore. BUT she's the kind, I 'think', that would head right back to the NSS if I did that.

UGH.....frustrated :irked:

Good luck hun whatever you decide x:hug:

Latest posts

Back