Need a bit of advice regarding the room I'm renting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meme1234

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I've done a search but can't quite find the answer/ advice I need

I renting a room a few days a week in a salon, everything was going great (haven't been here very long) when I first started I was asked to bring in some price lists and business cards which I did and they have my mobile number on. The salon owner has been promoting me and I have been doing the same for her to my mobile clients. I received an email from her saying she doesn't think I'm 100% about her business and she thinks that I should be taking her bookings as well....this is quite hard to explain on here as I think she may also be a geek and I don't want to offend her. Anyway her email, the way it was worded has upset me and caused me to lose sleep over it (I'm a worrier anyway) so I come in today and have a chat and she tells me she doesn't want my business cards handed out to HER clients, she doesn't want me to take my kit when I have a mobile client as the room looks bare (she doesn't have the money to invest in equipment for me to use and nor do I to have two lots of everything) she wants her branding on everything that I have eg price lists etc as she wants everything to come under her salon. She wants me to drop prices as she wants cheap but classy treatments! There are other things to but I can't mention on a public forum. I've only worked 3 days so very very new and she is expecting it to be really busy, I've told her I don't think this will work but we will have a chat a bit later. Please is there any advice or opinions that someone could give me x

I'd be happy to pm someone and explain in full about the whole situation x

Hi,
I'm mobile so cannot comment fully, but do you have a contract with the salon owner? You haven't said but I'm assuming you are self employed? If you are the salon owner CANNOT dictate your hours, prices, branding and more importantly what you do with your own equipment. A geek with far more experience in room renting will be along soon and will be able to assist more I'm sure. xx

Hi no no contract as yet, I was aware of all you have pointed out I just really needed it confirming to me. I thought maybe I was just being a bit narked by her email and not giving it a chance. As it is the salon is very very quite and i
Although I pay a % of my takings instead of rent per week I I'm not really making enough.....I don't no weather to stay or go to be honest x

OK, if you don't have a contract yet to not enter into any further verbal contracts with her. Were you advised when you would receive your contract as really you should have agreed and signed before you rented the room.

I think the salon owner is taking the mick to be honest hun, in regards to you no taking your kit with you when you are mobile and also about having a say in the price of your treatments and having her details on your price lists. You are self employed and only rent the room, therefore she has no say in this.

Did you ask what she ment about you not promoting her and about you taking her appointments? I didn't really understand that bit. I think it's fair that if you both answer the salon phone you make bookings for both her and yourself.

I rent a room within a salon and the owner can be a bit finicky over certain things, so i understand. Talk over everything with her asap so you know where you stand and then you can make a decision xx

TBH I think this is where a lot of courses let students down in terms of business management and I think at least should be made mandatory to do some studying in the subject. My other pet peeve is business owners taking advantage of young people :evil: I do hope you get this sorted, but get everything in writing from now on x

Hi geeks, I've done a search but can't quite find the answer/ advice I need

I renting a room a few days a week in a salon, everything was going great (haven't been here very long) when I first started I was asked to bring in some price lists and business cards which I did and they have my mobile number on. The salon owner has been promoting me and I have been doing the same for her to my mobile clients. I received an email from her saying she doesn't think I'm 100% about her business and she thinks that I should be taking her bookings as well....this is quite hard to explain on here as I think she may also be a geek and I don't want to offend her. Anyway her email, the way it was worded has upset me and caused me to lose sleep over it (I'm a worrier anyway) so I come in today and have a chat and she tells me she doesn't want my business cards handed out to HER clients, she doesn't want me to take my kit when I have a mobile client as the room looks bare (she doesn't have the money to invest in equipment for me to use and nor do I to have two lots of everything) she wants her branding on everything that I have eg price lists etc as she wants everything to come under her salon. She wants me to drop prices as she wants cheap but classy treatments! There are other things to but I can't mention on a public forum. I've only worked 3 days so very very new and she is expecting it to be really busy, I've told her I don't think this will work but we will have a chat a bit later. Please is there any advice or opinions that someone could give me x

This sounds like yet another example of someone calling someone self employed whilst intending to treat them as an employee.

She can't tell you not to advertise or where and when to take your kit because as a self employed person this should be your business.

I would stop renting there and move somewhere else.

Thanks for all your replies, we sat down this afternoon and had a very long chat....me mostly doing the talking! I have insisted on a contract being drawn up ASAP, I have also told her that she's not my boss and I will set my hours, prices and design my own marketing material and that I don't want her branding on it but I will put the salons name and address on my price lists and include her phone number for the salon on my business cards. I said if this wasn't good enough then I would walk, I also said that my kit is my kit and unless she was going to invest in furniture for the room then she can't tell me what to do with it.

It turns out a lot of friends of hers having been saying things to her about how she should run her salon, she has no experience at all of the beauty industry so thought they were correct in what they were saying. So I'm staying there at least till February when I will review the situation, I knew I was right in my thinking so thank geeks for all your advice!

P.s I forgot to say about the booking of clients......she said all clients who come to the salon are hers and that I'm not to offer mobile appointments (I wasn't and I wouldn't do that anyway) but I did say they weren't just hers but mine also.

I think we have cleared a lot up today I just hope she has taken everything I have said on board, I've listened to her so fingers crossed x

I'm so glad you got it sorted and stood your ground......very worrying that she listens to other people about how to run her business though :eek: x

you can pm meif u need further help! x

That's great. So often i think a conflict could be resolved just by sitting down and discussing it.

Well down for standing your ground and getting to the bottom of things, so hopefully you will both have a happy working relationship.

All the best for your new venture xx

Latest posts

Back