Need advice - salon to mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon1408

Reaction score
Hi geeks, get a cuppa this is a long one.

Basically I went self employed back in July last year. I'm in a room above a hairdressers doing all things beauty.

I started out paying £75 a week but by October I had a chat with the land lady and said I was struggling. She suggested that I went rent free until I could afford to pay something.

During the time of me paying her no rent I have been giving her treatments free of charge; spray tans, brow treatments, nail repairs etc. I have also given her friends and her partner free treatments (this has been on a weekly basis not just one offs). I answer the salon phone and take bookings on the hairdressers behalf, I man reception, I make tea and coffee, I sweep etc etc, basically the juniors job.

From the 1st of April she has asked for £50 a week which she messaged me about on Facebook. I think it's very unprofessional to talk about business issues via Facebook but obviously I don't have a problem with paying.

A few days later I received a nasty Facebook message from her saying how dare I do freelance work after her generosity (I do make up for photoshoots but most have been on a TFP basis - no payment) I said we would have a chat in the salon. She refused to listen to what I was saying and shouted at me in front of clients.

The first weeks rent was due on Saturday just gone, she had a spray tan so I said shall I take this off the rent I owe you for this week, to which she replied 'oh er ok'. She then disappeared before I came out of my treatment and she's got this week off, so her boyfriend has just come in to pick it up and I made him sign for it.

I received another nasty message via facebook this morning saying that her boyfriend will be collecting my rent for the month of April today and she's disappointed I'm charging her for her spray tan after her grace over the last few months and I should re think charging her.

I have also heard her on many occasions slagging me off to the hairdressers downstairs. When the hairdresser girls have text her asking her to have a meeting with them she's gone ballistic and told them its unprofessional to do things via text and they have to speak to her face.

There is no way I can afford to pay her rent and give her free treatments. She has absolutely taken the p*** out of me whilst I haven't been paying rent and I have lost a lot of money by giving out these free treatments.

My question is do I jack it all in and go mobile? I am fed up of her attitude towards me, she has had me in tears on numerous occasions and I dread coming in when I know she's here.

Help geeks! I'm one short straw away from telling her to f*** off and ripping up the flooring I had laid.
Rhiannon x

Last edited:
Personally I would message her on FB and say "Whilst you have been very good to me with regards to the rent, I have also been helping you/your business out by doing salon tasks when it is not my place to, so I think we have helped each other during this difficult time, with that in mind- I will do you any treatments at 25% off but you have to bare in mond that when I do treatments it does cost me money... I feel I hvae been fare by giving u/ur boyfriend weekly free treatments when I was not paying rent, but unfortunatly that can not continue if I want to run a business"

See what her reaction is, and if she is a k**b then go with ur stick ur job n take ur floor up. And go for it mobile. She can't tell u u can't work mobile she does not employ u-you are not doing profit share so as long as she gets her rent its no skin off her nose! Xx

Hey hun

Id call a face to face meeting all this ping pong facebook messaging is getting you know where.

If you dont want to do it in the salon find another location on more mutual ground away from anyone else or after the salon closes.

The free treatments now need to stop and explain whilst she has greatly helped you by paying no rent you have taken on other tasks and given free treatments to try and redress the balance where you can. Maybe im wrong but youve both helped each other out it seems.

Rent is now due and you need to stop the free treatments or if you want at a small discounted rate for her and the hairdressers only so they can point their clients in your direction iykwim.

With regards to payment i would personally pay her only if the boyf has nothing to do with the business.

I would also look at drawing up a new contract or amend the existing one reflecting rent change and duties etc, working outside the salon.

I wouldnt advise ripping the floor up if the meeting doesnt go well the last thing you need is that kind of trouble.

Good luck hun xxx

Ha ha sorry neutral not mutual. X x x sorry steph repeated a lot of what you said there hun x x x

Thank you both for your advice.

I have only ever responded to her Facebook messages by saying I would speak to her about it in the salon. When I have tried to talk to her before about various things she has stormed off in a huff and I've been left feeling upset.

How can she expect a new business like me to pay her rent whilst continuing to give away free treatments. I gave her a 10% discount which only my very close friends and family receive, my prices are also very reasonable (I charge £20 for a tan and a salon 8 doors down charges £35) and I didn't charge her for sorting her eyebrows out.

I don't know the first thing about being mobile so that really scares me. Also I'm going through an emotional time with my boyfriend at the moment so I don't currently have his support.

I feel really down. Why does everything have to happen at once?!

Rhiannon x

awww big huggs to you hun,:hug:
It sounds like a nightmare,like a previous poster said,i could not work where someone talked behind my back either.
you both helped each other out and it sounds like she took advantage.
I work mobile and i absolutely love being my own boss,so from my point of view i would say definatly go mobile.
I would ask to meet the salon owner on neutral ground and tell her that you have decided to go it alone,i would cut my losses and be glad to be out of there.
feel free to message me with any mobile questions you may have :)

Aww i feel really sorry for you Rhiannon and i'm sorry to hear things with your bf aren't sorted either way.

The way i see it, you have two options.
If you want to stay in your room and feel that you have spent enough time/money advertising and can put up with her, then i would stay. Contact her, preferably by phone and ask for a meeting outside of work hours, either before or after work. Tell her that you appreciate that she assisted your start up with your rent, and you're sure she appreciated you assisting her hair staff by doing their junior and receptionist jobs, as well as giving her and her friends free treatments. However, this is costing you money and you can't afford to pay for her treatments any longer, as she would not be able to afford you, your other half and friends having your hair coloured for free every week. All staff may have x% discounted treatments during off-peak hours or at full price during peak hours. This is for staff only. Be professional. You are a bussinesswoman and you don't want to get into petty arguements.

I might be tempted to ask her if she has had a problem with any of her treatments as you heard her mention something to a client and would hate for anyone to be less than satisfied. I would ask her to speak with you directly if she is unhappy about something as a bad reputation for either of you affects both of you, as well as it being unprofessional. But you must remain completely calm. Don't act in anger or upset.

The other option is to keep your cool, but explain that it simply isn't working out and you are giving in your however long notice. You could find another room or go mobile.

I've worked for someone who made my life hell. I couldn't handle it, i was in tears, anxious when i wasn't at work waiting for her call to complain about something and i left within 6 months, so i do understand that there are some people you just can't live with.

Either way, have a completely chilled night. Do something nice for yourself, like take a long relaxing bath, get a take away and some chocolate, have a good chat with a friend or watch a film/read a book. Then make your decision tomorrow. It's always better to sleep on it and once you've made your mind up, you'll feel the relief pretty much instantly xxx

Thank you for your replies.

After sleeping on it I have decided that I definitely want out. I seem to be positively thinking that although I may lose some clients through this transitional period I may gain more by being mobile.

How do you work out how much time you need for packing up/setting up? I am worried as I'm a bit rubbish with directions etc but I guess I'll get used to it. What do you do if you have to pay for parking? Do you charge your clients this on top of their treatments?

Ahhh so many questions I need to ask!

Rhiannon x

Ps - for those that know the story, my boyfriend and I are giving things another go :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you have made the right decision, it's bad enough to work for someone you don't get on with and dread going to work but when it's your own business it's totally unacceptable.freelance sounds like the best move for now.buy a sat nav it will save you so much time and worry ! Wish I done this when I was freelance but I don't think they made them them lol !!! Good luck and leave the floor, I you will only get slagged off for it.

Ps- I only said contact her via FB as she has done that to u (so tit for tat-then she may realise how unprofessional it is)

I have a satnav hun, so I get where I need to (without it I would be useless) and they aren't too expensive now days.

As for parking. I have been doing it 6 months and not yet hhad to pay for parking (although I don't know what parking is like where u are) I practised on friends n family with regards to my time-so I know roughly how long set up and treatment will take-and if u go on aa route planner u can see roughly how long ur trip from appt to appt should take, when I have appts around the rush hour wherre poss I set off early/leave extra time and say "I aim to be there for around 5.30pm depending on traffic" which all my clients are fine with...

Good luck xx

I also state the areas I that are in my catchment areas, and state that anyone outside this may incur a fuel charge... And to be honest I would only take that client if it was 1-worth while (more than 1 treatment), 2 I was quiet, and they was happy to pay the fuel charge... Xx

mobile costs are not as much and whilst its good its also v annoying at the same time packing and unpacking (doesnt help as i still work full time)

like u were im in the process just waiting to hear from the hair salon, they havent utilised there advertising or internet possibilities so offered to help them out with that as non of them are very good with computers in return for help myside with first few months and helping me build up the beauty salon, i will only be looking at saturdays for now to see how they go (but still doing mobile during week evenings)

I personally think if u work it well u can hit a wider market mobile u've just got a be savvy in the way that you do it and judging from previsou posts i followed you on Rhiannon i dont think u will have any problems keep ur chin up girl! u'll do amazing!

If u need any advice/help you know where i am x

Thank all so much for your advice and support, don't know what I would do without this site :)

I have started to pack my things and brought a car load home today. I don't have a contract and to be honest even if I gave her notice she would tell me to get out as soon as I told her I was leaving (she has a history of doing this with ex staff members).

I have told my clients that were in today that I'm going mobile and they were more than happy with it :) and both the hairdressers are being really supportive of me leaving and have already booked in for their Shellac next week.

I'm super excited now! Just need to head to the shops to get a few boxes for towels and equipment and I'm good to go!

Rhiannon x

Good for you Rhiannon. I always feel better when i've made a decision and it sounds like you'll be happier out of there.

Glad to hear about your bf too, i hope he realises what he has and holds onto it tight this time.

Good luck with your mobile business xx

Good for you Rhiannon. I always feel better when i've made a decision and it sounds like you'll be happier out of there.

Glad to hear about your bf too, i hope he realises what he has and holds onto it tight this time.

Good luck with your mobile business xx

Thank you! :)
Rhiannon x

Good luck! Sometimes we need to be forced into making a decision, but once its made, it feels odd that we ever doubted making it.

Thank you :)

I have a few questions for those of you that are mobile....

How do you do your pedicures? In the salon I used to get the client to sit on my couch and I would then be at the right height for seeing to their tootsies. Can I still do this or will it be too much to take mobile?

Do you have a 'kit' for each treatment that you do? Ie a manicure kit, a pedicure kit, a wax kit? That's what I'm currently organising but then there's equipment that I'll need for most treatments (like couch roll, cotton pads, gloves) do you keep a few of these in each kit or do you leave then in your car so they're there if you need them?

Am I making any sense here?

What is sensible for a minimum call out charge? I was thinking £15. Do you charge petrol after a certain mile radius?

Rhiannon x

Latest posts

Back