Need help choosing Shellac colours please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heather78

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm putting together my order for shellac & would like some advice on colour choice! As I'm starting from scratch I am just starting with 6-8 colours this is my choice so far:

Cream puff for french
Negligee for over french or just on its own as a sheer colour
Rosebud
Cocoa
Masquerade
Hot pop pink
Wildfire
Tropix

If I can get it down to 6 that would be great! I'm wandering if I can get away with one pink maybe just rose bud or getting Gotcha instead of rose bud & hot pop?? & is wildfire a good choice for a red or is Hollywood better?? Argh decisions, wish they were a little cheaper & I'd have the lot :p Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Heather x

if it was me id get rid of the cocoa, i regret buying it cause not one person has got it! i love the rest though :D

The two colours I get the most people going for are Blackpool and Stawberry Smoothie. Remember you can make other colours by layering, Blackpool and Iced Coral makes a stunning emreald green. Might be worth checking out the Shellac lovers group's pictures before you decide of which colours to buy to get you started.

Sam xx

Sorry I know you want less but mother of pearl is a must in my opinion as it goes over all colours. Tutti frutti has as so been popular as well as tropix.

Sorry I know you want less but mother of pearl is a must in my opinion as it goes over all colours. Tutti frutti has as so been popular as well as tropix.

Mother of pearl is the only one I dont have, is it really a must? What colour does it come out on its own or would you even use it on its own?

Thanks ladies! I can imagine tropix and tutti frutti being popular I was just wandering whether to go for more autumnal colours as it'll be another month before I start doing them, hoping to do 1on1 training on the 13th sept! Funny the comment about cocoa, the training lady I spoke to said that was one of her faves :lick: x

Fedora is a popular one! It's a gorgeous plum colour that ALOT of people like

Re cocoa i have quite a few ladies who like this and some have iced coral over it.

Maybe consider getting negligee, cream puff and salon rack b which has 6 set colours masquerade, gotcha, hollywood, Blackpool, clearly pink and iced coral.

Hmmmm personally I wouldn't get cocoa or rosebud. I don't like either of them very much but that's my personal opinion, having said that they are my least used colours. The colour I use the most is tutti frutti so I would say get that!

I'm getting closer to making a decision!! However just been reading peoples experiences in the shellac lovers group! Its making me a little nervous reading about some of the problems people are having! I offer a real basic range of treatments Mani's/pedi's, waxing, facials, swedish massage, lash & brow tinting and body wraps all things that my clients are very happy with & I never have any problems! I'm a little nervous this may subject me to un-satisfied customers & cause me problems!! I was sooo excited by it all earlier now I'm confused!!!

sorry if last post was a little negative, I can see that most of you are very enthusiastic about shellac & that's how I want to be once I start doing it!! It's just a big outlay & I want to be sure its right for me & my clients! I have a habit of over thinking :D

Hi Heather
I am new to Shellac too, this is my 12th week and I was asking all the same questions as you were, and I was keeping myself up at night and on SalonGeek at all times of the night searching for an answer!
I started off with 10 colours and have slowly added now I have them all! You just need to make the decision on your base colours and watch your client base grow and honestly your clients will come back again and again! I am still shocked that people come back if you know what I mean....they all LOVE it and its right what the marketing says its truly addictive!!
Its a big step I know and ALOT of money but truly worth it!
SS:lick:

Smiley shellac-thanks so much for your post! I am proper stressing about this! And it is keeping me awake to!!!! Mad!! I'm glad its not just me. I think if I were a bigger business & my bank balance was bigger than it was I'd probably not be worrying about it so much but being a small business I have just enough to get started & it will nearly wipe me out :p But if it brings more customers in & gets my existing ones having it done as well as there normal treatments then I'm sure I'll soon get my money back! I could wait a bit longer & save some more but I want to get going with it now!!!

Shellac has made my business. I offer a full range of beauty treatments and Shellac is up there with eyebrow shaping as the most requested treatment. Don't worry. I'm sure you will do well with it. It's amazing. Just to confuse you a little more with colours my most popular are Romantique and Gotcha! :D

Ha ha I really am getting confused with what colours to get now LOL!! How funny everyone's faves are different! I have been thinking that the salon rack plus cream puff & negligee for french! Having said that would clearly pink work over/under french? If so I could then get another strong colour like tutti frutti!

You'll never look back once you have shellac

Clearly pink is like clear varnish with a hint of pink, not enough coverage for a French. If you go with the rack, cp and neg you'll be good to start, and quite quickly you will start to purchase the other colours. Also remember there are so many layering combos with shellac so you have much more than just 8 colours.

As for problems with shellac 99% of the probs I have read on here are not because of the product but to do with the application. Just remember preparation is the key and don't apply it too thick, you'll be fine. :hug:

Pampered 1- Thanks so much for your replies! I'm going to go with salon rack although I don't think I'll have a lot of call for blackpool!! Might be wrong though! I'm gonna order 6 more colours as well so I have 12, decided if I'm gonna do it I want to do it properly!

Just wandered If any of you use the magis foil wraps? I was thinking of using shellac removal wraps for fingers & magis for toes?

Also what do you use for cuticle removal, I'm old school as far as nails are concerned, cuticle remover cream, soaking pushing back with hoof stick, knife & nippers but I know I must do this dry with shellac & see on the training video they use a metal pusher something else for removal!!!!

xxxx

I think this is my final plan:

Salon rack B plus:

Strawberry smoothie
Fedora (or rock royality!!)
Mother of pearl
Tropix
Negligee
Cream puff

& still thinking I might need either cocoa or iced cap for a neutral colour!!
I'm getting closer!! :lick:

I might need either cocoa or iced cap for a neutral colour!!
I'm getting closer!! :lick:
I have a young'ish clientele and use Cocoa more than the Iced Capp :) Cocoa is pretty popular and when I wore it myself, people commented on it far more than any other colour I've worn.

Latest posts

Back