Needing help with boss buying product.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtickledpink

Reaction score
Hello!

I am seeking advice on how trying to get the owner of my salon to buy quality acrylic product for us. When I first started working there we were using CND Retention and our nail business was doing fairly well. Well, when the container was empty it was thrown out. My boss still to this day, believes it was a full container and that someone stole it, therefore he refuses to buy anything "decent". He bought Aspire (you can get it at Sally's) and I found the product to be extremely faulty, it peeled off the next day, it was too gooey, and it seemed to never dry. I was not the only tech who had this problem.

When we ran out of the powder (so much liquid came with so little powder?!?!?!) he just threw all these half used containers of powders at me (all different brands, he claimed he bought it from an asian nail tech and therefore its good stuff, it was stairnail, creative, and some other off brands I never heard of) and told me use that. I tried to explain to him how you can't mix brands of liquid and powder. He doesn't believe it.

Also, when applying a fullset I can never use the same brand/shape of tips because we have literally have 5 different brands of tips but not enough of the same shape.

Because of our faulty product and poor quantity of tips, I feel this is coming back on me, personally. A lot of people have complained about the nails not staying on, lifting, etc. I am VERY careful with my prep to ensure a strong foundation. I feel because I don't have what I need that I am not being able to do my job as well as I can or produce the best results.

Our salon is kind of slow right now but I think he should start us off with a smaller kit of something that has a good reputation.

I have worked with the same owner for 3 years now. He only does hair, and has never done anything more than a pedicure and does not know a lot about nails.

What is the best way to be tactful about this? :rolleyes:

Sorry for the long post but it was the easiest way for me to explain my position. Thank you in advance.

xoxo.

hi

What a terrible situation for you to be in!

Could you maybe give him an estimate of how may sets you could get done from a tub (depending on the gram tub) of CND powder/liquid (or ask him just to buy it for you see how long it lasts/how may sets you do with it, so he is only monitoring one employee?) then surely he would know from the appointment book how many clients you had done and that would prove you have not stolen it?

To be honest it doesn't sound like he will change and maybe you would be best looking for somewhere else as like you say it is your reputation.

x

I would maybe get all the techs together and have a mini meeting with him. Try to explain what's happening with the clients and that you stand to waste more money redoing them, or worse, they find somewhere else to go. Surely he doesn't buy his hair color from Sally's as well? I hope he pulls his head out of his butt soon! Is there any reason he should think the last container was stolen? Perhaps he could provide a date when he bought it or it was opened, and then look at the books to see where it went. Any new container could have a date written on the bottom and then returned to him when empty to show him it's not being stolen. Seems like a lot of rigamarow, but perhaps the best option. Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Would it be easier to just find some where else to work - or even work for yourself????????
Its the age old saying - you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink....
Is he qualified in nails????????? If he is where was he trained?????? if hes not (which Im sure this would be the case) why are you even working there? giving yourself a bad name along with his salon !!!!!!!

Kerry's Nails- He has not had any nail training what so ever. I have been looking to get into other salons since this past summer. I am waiting for several others to pick up so I could possibly get hired. Thank you very much for your advice and imput

Perfected- We had a woman working with us in the salon who was just strictly a nail tech and customers were coming back complaining about their sets not staying. The owner then proceeded to blame her. I had her repair one of my nails for me and there was nothing wrong with her prep/method and he disregarded what he said. And sadly, he does buy all our color from Sally's as well. He mostly uses the Miss Clairol in the bottle and thats another pandora's box to get into. The reason I think he believes it was stolen is because the batch of employees that was there before I started I guess was known for stealing product and getting into things they probably shouldn't have. I thank you very much as well for your imput.

Rebecca J- None of us are being strictly monitored per say, BUT he does keep all our color, developer, bleach, and perm solutions all under lock and key. As I said to the previous post, the batch of employees that worked there before me was known for stealing product in the past. I have been looking since this summer for another salon but I am waiting on several places to pick up before they hire. Thank you very much for your advice!!!

Latest posts

Back