Needing some advice/words of wisdom/bum kicked!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pretty Geeky

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

In 2009 my OH and I came back to the UK from living abroad. We quickly bought a house and a car but to get the mortgage I had to get a job, quick! Anyway the first job I was offered was a part time job as a secretary. I took it and loved it. Whilst working part time I went to college to study beauty therapy part time as I didn't get the chance to do this when I left school many moons ago. My plan was always to have my own business. During the last 3 years however we have gotten more and more into debt partly due to me working part time and setting up my business. Anyway I decided to get myself a full time job which I started about a month ago. Also during this time my very skilled OH helped turn our spare bedroom into a home salon for me, helped me get set-up and print off leaflets to advertise. This was about a year ago. I've got a client base of around 10 which I do evenings and weekends but in between them I can go a good few weeks with no-one. I really feel responsible for this situation. Despite working hard (my husband really hard at his own business) we can't afford holidays, weekends away and, heartbreakingly, we can't afford to have a baby. We shop in Aldi, have two ten year old cars, we don't drink or smoke and when I do buy clothes it's Tesco, Asda, Primark so we're not living some wild life. I've cut back on everything I can without making ourselves totally miserable.

I want to really make a go of my business and work hard to make a good sideline for me, possibly making it my full time job in good time. However, I can't afford to advertise again and none of my friends are really into having their nails etc done so can't even get recommendations from them.

Another part of the problem is the possibility of moving abroad again. Our visa for Australia runs out in May and if we don't use it then that's it gone forever with no chance of another due to my OHs age. I don't know if this is subconsciously making me hold back on the business thing.

With my new job, wanting but being unable to afford a baby, having the possiblity of moving to Australia again and trying to make a success of my little business my head is not playing ball. I realise I'm really lucky to have some of these "problems" but I'm so confused and there are so many clocks ticking I can't decide which avenue is right for me/us.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice, words of wisdom, previous experience etc. I don't really have anyone to talk about these things with apart from OH and we've been round and round in circles discussing it!

Thanks geeks!

PG x

Not much help but you can get signage on the back window of your car to advertise. It cost me £13 off Ebay and I've had loads of clients from this. This way you can build up your clients whilst doing your full time job, eventually moving your business to full time.

Also, is it wise going back to Oz? There must've been a reason why you came back home so do you really want to go back there? :)

personally Id take off and go to australia:) sorry cant help much other than that make up ur mind about where u want to be (which country) and then concentrate on building up u business x

In my experience, we tend to play self defeating games that keep us from getting what we really want. Identify what your fears are, tell yourself the truth about why you aren't moving forward, and then light a fire under your butt to get going. Social media is a great way to advertise, Facebook for one. Make a page for yourself. Commit to doing x number of sets a week to keep up your skill, and then go to hair salons and offer to put nails on the hairdressers for free if they will advertise your work. There are ways of advertising that is affordable, cause it only costs you product. Tell your present clients that for every five clients they send you they will get a set for free. Get into grocery stores and offer to put nails on cashiers for half price so that the word gets out about your fabulous services. You have the skill, and you can do this! Start posting on free advertisement sites. Here in Canada we have OLX, and Kijiji. Use whatever is available to you. If you move to australia or decide to have a baby, you working in your own business will only have gotten you further ahead and make those things more financially possible. Don't let not knowing where you are going to be in five years stop you from pursuing your dreams now. :p

personally Id take off and go to australia:) sorry cant help much other than that make up ur mind about where u want to be (which country) and then concentrate on building up u business x

I agree! Your first priority is to decide if you want to go back to Australia - pronto! Once you know for sure 'Where' you're going to live, that's the time to put your other plans into operation.

You need to establish a firm foundation before you can build your business/get jobs/have a secure income etc before you can plan a family with peace of mind.

Just my two cents' worth and good luck! :biggrin:

I say you both quit your jobs. and get welfare and foodstamps! j/k

I agree with everyone else about deciding which country to stay in.. once thats done.. maybe look to a relative to borrow a little extra cash.. do some minimal advertising... get some car magnets you gotta have some friends who will let you stick em on their car... there are a zillion things that you can do to promote ... to top it all off... having a baby is not cheap... but neither is running a business ... so just kick around ideas... make a facebook page... add every friggin person you know.. lol things will fall into play! businesses are hard to kick off but once your there ... word of mouth! I swear by it!

Ok so we are in a similar, ish, situation in regards to being totally skint due to my quitting and trying to make a go of it. My OH said while I was working p/t that I wasn't really bringing much cash in, nor was I building the business up, sort of coasting along. He said if I quit, I'll have so much time to put all the ideas into practice. (That's the simplified version).

Not that I'm suggesting you do that, but, if you've no cash to go away on hols anyway (like us, sad face) why not take some annual leave from your day job, give yourself say a week and work your way through every single advertising idea on SG, of which, there are millions, and over half of them cost no money! Check out Lynne's marketing thread, send out all the emails, make all the phone calls etc and really give it a go of drumming up business. It doesn't sound to me like you've had a major push in your advertising, I may be wrong, but there are always more things we could do to advertise.

Or...go to Oz, but I agree with the above poster, you need to think about why you want to go, and why you left before (if I've understood correctly!) xxx

I would suggest if you are thinking of setting up a business then you should write yourself a business plan....simple as that really....then you'll find out if your business is viable or not.

Latest posts

Back