Nervous newbie seeks advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. Having spent hours/weeks lurking about on this site reading very interesting and great advice, I've finally plucked up the courage to register. I'm very new to the world of forums and industry so please be gentle.
I have a couple of questions please...
1. Electric files/drills or manual filing?
I did my nail course a couple of months ago with a private beauty academy. During my course, I was told that I could use an electric file if I wanted to provided I had training. I would like to know how many of you professionals use an electric file/drill or is it considered a real 'no no', because I have seen on some website of techs advertising themselves as using no drills - is this a selling point? Also, if you use an e-file, how much time do you gain over manual filing?

2. Suppliers
I have seen there are a lot of suppliers online and wondered which one is prefered by you pros. Do you only buy/order from UK suppliers or do you source overseas suppliers?
I have been buying my stuff from Sallys to pratice because they're local to me but have not found them to be amazing.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Sorry if I've waffled on to much.

hi there, cant say im a fan of electric files untill you have a few years experiance, ive been doing nails over 12 years and have training in them but still choose not to use them, plus if you apply your product well enough then filing should be nice and short.
i have personally worked with alot of different products over the years, my favs are, entity, odyssey and ezflow.
hope you get a few more reply's
dont hesitate to pm me!
gem xx

I have not been in the industry long but I agree with gemma, I am not a fan of electric files but there are some that love them. If you apply the product well then there is minmal filing require.
I love love using Ezflow and CND, I get my produces from sweet squared and from capital they only sell to trade. I get my ezflow products from an ezflow supplier in the uk. Sorry I cant remember the name of the ezflow supplier. Hope this helps and if you need any help pm me. xxxx

Thank you ladies for your replies. I was under the impression that it was more professional to be able to offer/use an e-file but it seems that's its the other way round! Saved myself a few bob for not having to get one lol. As you say, the more experience you get the less filing you need to do and I can definitely see the difference in the last couple of weeks.

Hi Sledge

I'm also fairly new to the nail industry- just completed my VTCT Nail Tech qualification in the summer. Glad you asked the question about the e-file as it was something I was contemplating too!

I have to say, now I am getting (slightly) better with lots of practice it seems to be taking me less time on the filing side, just looking forward to the day when I can get a set done a little bit quicker!

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the site.

Jenni
x

Hi I agree E-files if not used correctly will cause a lot off damage to the nail bed, I do-not use them for that reason. I use CND products and love them. but everyone has there own product they love to work with. hth xx

Hi and welcome to the site..
I use CND at the moment and I do use an efile.... only to cut a nice crisp smile line with doing a frech white infill... and i also use them when i change colours on toe nail enhancements..I would NEVER use them on the natural nail or to speed the filing time down.. as the girls have already said when you get better at your application you wont need to file much at all...
Now most of the time i just need a quick buff with the snow block and i am ready to cap in clear gel..

hope that helps you a little
Mel

I'm so glad you decided to register for the forums. I've asked my fair share of questions that I thought were going to make me look like a total moron but this group of ladies (and gents) don't make you feel like that at all!!!

I am also fairly new to the industry but I'm learning alot and I am starting to spend quite a bit of time here. I currently use CND Retention for my acrylic, and for some strange reason, gels just aren't popular down here so I'm holding off on those for the moment. I'd like to try Brisa by CND but the light is expensive (Until January 1st) and I'm told that is the only light that will cure Brisa properly, or I'd like to try a brand called Gelousy.

I would like to get an e-file for backfills and fillins, but that is really the only thing i would use it for except for cleaning up any leakage under the nail enchancement.

Hi and welcome to the site. This site is absolutely fab, it has helped me soooo much. I have only been doing nails for 2 years but have come a long way since joining this group as everyone is so helpful and have answered my questions on problems that i have.

I have been using CND for the last 8 months and i love it, and addicted to trainning. I get my CND products from Sweet Squared x

Hope this site helps you as much as it has helped me x

E-files- yes you need to be trainined as you could cause serious damage, but you can cause just as much damage with a hand file if you for example use too harsh a grit on the natural nail.

Alot of people choose to use the e-file, I find this depends on the company you first trained with and if they sell and train in them.

If you do use an e-file always keep your hand filing skills up to time/date as you never know when you may require them (comps, session work etc).

Good training is essential. Lysa Comfort of Charisma Nail Innovations is the master of the e-file and early next year her new e-file training will be hitting the UK, from beginners to masters. Also Kupa have a great resorce area on there website.

As for products, there are so many great products now its actually getting hard to choose, but there are three things that are essential. Quality products, training and customer service. Talk to product houses and as about training and product support, go to shows, open days anything to get to see the products inaction and learn to use them well.

Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back