Never too old to have your nails done!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAILZTONES

Reaction score
This brought a smile to my face this afternoon and I had to share it with you.

I have a client who is 104 years old, yes honestly!

Just to tell you first a bit about this client...........

I have been doing a Spa Manicure (and hand massage) for this lady now for the last few months. Her 75 year old daughter rang me to ask me to go to the old peoples home where she lives to give her a birthday treat. This is not what I expected to be doing but hey..... I didn't want to turn away business and there are always the carers who work there to hand out my details to, and I didn't want to disappoint this dear old lady who is bedridden. Anyway I won't go into details, and you will just have to use your imagination but the first visit and manicure wasn't very pleasant, needless to say that I wear gloves, disinfect everything and throw away files, you can't be too careful in these place with MRSA Sarah is a lovely old lady, a little deaf but all about and knows whats what, she is unable to move about so unfortunately confined to hers bed. To do a manicure under these circumstances is not easy, the bed has bars either side and its very awkward to say the least, but I seem to manage, allbeit my back is aching when I leave. I spend alot of time massaging her athritic hands and she seems to love this pampering treatment. I cut and file her nails which on the first appointment were in a terrible state. Apparently her daughter told me that she has never had her nails done in her lifetime.

Her daughter tells me that she has worked very hard all her life, lost her husband in her 40's, travelled the world at 60 and looked after and been nanny to many a family. She lived alone until age 99 when she had a fall and had to go into a home.

Anyway to get to the point and stop rambling as I do (sorry).......today her daughter rang me and told me that one of the carer's at the home had tried to cut her nails yesterday and she threw a wobbly and told them that under no circumstances were they allowed to touch her nails as she has a lady who specially comes in to do them, apparently she then sat on her hands LOL!!!
icon_lol.gif

Love her !!!

To be honest its a bit out of my way to go there and its not an ideal situation, but I haven't the heart to stop doing her nails. It obviously is making her happy and maybe even something she looks forward to! Then again I'm not sure if its the nail pampering she likes or the company for an hour and me shouting at her LOL! Poor old dear, not much of a life nowadays for her I suppose!

Hayley

When a lady is so fond of you and no one else is aloud to do her nails is the best compliment you can get, it is an honour to give her a mani.
You go girl.

Minette

:hug: Oh that is just Too Cute!! Brings back memories of when I took care of my elderly mother the last year of her life (God Bless her dear soul), she passed it will be 3-yrs. this coming Valentine's day :cry: She would only let me especially do her hair & nails (she had lovely long ones) wish I had inherited that - But as stated, sounds like this little lady feels comfortable with you and trusts you. What a great Blessing :Love:

:hug:

God Bless you, for spending time with that wonderful old lady...Obviously you have a kind heart and it shows..
You make her nails lovely, and she has a friend !!!

Sincerely;
Janet
the nail fairy:Love:

Ah bless her and bless you this is the sort of job that doesnt pay money but satisfaction adn bless her daughter for thinking of it for her.

Have to say though did make me laugh at the thought of her sitting on her hands lol
x

aww i think your brilliant.i know it might not pay you to do her nails but she sounds like she really likes and trusts you.i love talking to my older clients and hearing all their tales of what they did in their lives..plus i think of my nan i would like someone to be nice to her.i think your a star babe xxx:hug:

:hug: Bless her. theres good money in care homes if you can bear it.
like you said not always very clean.

What a LOVELY compliment! And how humorous too :lol:

I have a client who had an aneurysm back in the 80's. She has an arm that is always bent at her midsection and the hand is twisted at the rist, with fingers stuck 'curled'. She can't straighten her arm, wrist or fingers.
YET I do manage to get a UV Gel overlay on them (to match the other hand that is just fine) and do nail art on them. I am most satisfied when I've done her nails because I know how it makes her feel. She can't talk because the message gets lost between her mind and mouth. She gets frustrated and it's a lot of guessing games and "cant get the word, you know?" is uttered often by her. I show her my 'sample' nails and she picks what she wants or points to my polish rack and figure which she wants. She almost always wants nail art and has huge smiles when leaving.

I always wind up with an aching back because to do the bent arm, I have to go beside her and stand, leaning over.. it's tricky. I use toe-seperators to keep her fingers seperated with a small bottle under her fingers to open her fist a bit more so they can dry better. It's quite a trick...

The story of my ramble is this:
Nothing makes a tech feel better than a client that is made to feel great:!:

Ok, now where is that bubble bath? My back is killing me ROFL:lol:
(lucky for me, her daughter is also my friend and she has a spa open year around I can use literally anytime I like and ooooohhh that always feels nice on the aching back haha)

aawwrhh thats lovely xx well done you for making a little old lady very happy xx

What a lovely story! Well done you for making someone feel so happy and cared for after a hard life!!
It's such a joy to treat people who are so appriciative of you.
Keep up the good work!!

My oldest client was ninty four and blind, she used to get a taxi to my salon and talk me through her days as a manicurist. she was a star!!!:lol:

Lov Lisa xxx

Thanks guys for all your replies, its great to hear your stories too. It just made my day and thought I'd share it with you. I'm going to start doing her daughters nails soon too, so hopefully another regular client!

Hayley x

thats such a lovely story...

for me, i would go out of my way to give this lady her manicure, it just goes to show ur never too old to take a pride in yourself..

I have two ladies one at 84 and a 92 year old,who are regular clients, i go now to both of their houses to do them regularly..

I love to hear their tales, and love making them feel special and that its perfectly alright to be getting manicures at their age..and as a result of me doing these ladies has resulted in both their daughters becoming clients also

my 92 year old client has fantastic nails and nailbeds to die for...

Awwww, I just love that!! I'm sure she really enjoys your company and the treatments...that is just beautiful!!

Awwww! Thats so lovely. Its just great that you feel good about making your client feel good! I bet she really enjoys your company. Its fantastic that you can make a difference to someones life isnt it? You should feel really proud of yourself hun! xx

kudos to you!
my oldest client was "only" 95!
the wisdom and knowledge they can let you in on for the time you have their hands in yours! (and some "things" you never knew really went on way back when!!! (it openend my eyes!)

you're an angel!

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com

Latest posts

Back