Never underestimate the power of social networking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
I had a shared link come up on my facebook page today from a friend who lives miles away about a salon which is actually quite near me.
The gist of it is that this salon for whatever reason refused to honour an out of date gift voucher.The lady who had been given the voucher had been unable to use it because of the death of her toddler son.
The outcome of this and the rapid way the news has spread since yesterday is outstanding and a warning to us all.
Obviously the strength of feeling and emotions attached are very high and comments are vicious with calls to boycot and people have gone to the press.I can actually see the salon going out of business because of it.

Last edited:
That'll teach them to be compassionate.

Oh my word some people do not have a heart,

Well they deserve it. Unless of course they had no idea why the voucher was late being presented. Even so, they've had the money they should have at least discussed the reasons. Some people!

I know.For the sake of company policy whatever was someone thinking.You would have thought they would have given her a few free treatments for what she has been through.

Well they deserve it. Unless of course they had no idea why the voucher was late being presented. Even so, they've had the money they should have at least discussed the reasons. Some people!

No they knew.They have now apologised on the page but obviously its a little too late.

I know.For the sake of company policy whatever was someone thinking.You would have thought they would have given her a few free treatments for what she has been through.

I was just going to say that you'd bloody double it,

How awful. There are a lot of questions on here about honouring out of date vouchers.

This is a lesson to us all about how considerate and compassionate we are as people and the power of social networking!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I hope they weren't so cruel as to refuse to honour the voucher knowing the circumstances but if they did ...........

brings that other thread to mind...what goes around, comes around.

First of all, was it a member of staff who did this or was it the salon owner? If it were a member of staff then that would be terrible for the owner! If however the owner knew and didn't honour the voucher then they deserve what they get! Terrible situation!

I find this a bit scary tbh. I know what this salon did is wrong, but are the circumstances so clear? Was it just an error of judgement, a mistake?

Have they been given the chance to rectify the mistake that they have made? Is there any room or time for an apology?

Surely this cant be the way to deal with things?

First of all, was it a member of staff who did this or was it the salon owner? If it were a member of staff then that would be terrible for the owner! If however the owner knew and didn't honour the voucher then they deserve what they get! Terrible situation!

It was a member of staff at first and then the lady asked to speak to the manager who then still refused.Of course her friends then shared the outcome with everyone else and its gone on from there and become huge.
Other therapists and salons in the area have offered the lady free treatments now.
It must be awful if you work for the company and were an innocent party.I think they must be worried about their jobs.
They have apologised now and they have given the gift voucher money to charity but of course for most people this has been seen as damage limitation.

If I was you I would honour the voucher in my salon, it will be the best publicity you will ever, ever have, plus this lady will tell a lot of people that you had the compassion and understanding to help her, even if you didn't have to.

A good example to demonstrate that the power of social media is enormous, be it positive or negative. I always try to put myself in the clients' shoes during difficult situations to imagine the emotions I would feel and then think what would I want to hear and happen and find an appropriate balance. I'm a big believer in not judging without hearing the full story from both sides. I'm not doubting that the voucher was refused, but like someone said was it the salon owner, or an employee acting independently without conferring first? What if it was an employee acting without the owners consent? That would be horrendous from the owners angle if their choice of action was the polar opposite to what has happened. All round a very sad situation, and my feelings ultimately go out to the poor mum xxx

It was a member of staff at first and then the lady asked to speak to the manager who then still refused.Of course her friends then shared the outcome with everyone else and its gone on from there and become huge.
Other therapists and salons in the area have offered the lady free treatments now.
It must be awful if you work for the company and were an innocent party.I think they must be worried about their jobs.
They have apologised and they have given the gift voucher money to charity but of course for most people this has been seen as damage limitation.

In that case I agree, it must be very scary now for the innocent parties in the salon. Dreadful!

Frightening to think your business could go down the pan in one fell swoop.

Last edited:
Yes if it was me I would have let her use it...... However if she had a voucher for tesco and went in and told them her story they wouldn't have let her off! So I can see both sides! I can't imagine how the salon is coping! I feel that this is slightly harsh to 'run them out of busines' like this its a gift voucher for a salon surely she's got better things to worry about

Yes if it was me I would have let her use it...... However if she had a voucher for tesco and went in and told them her story they wouldn't have let her off! So I can see both sides! I can't imagine how the salon is coping! I feel that this is slightly harsh to 'run them out of busines' like this its a gift voucher for a salon surely she's got better things to worry about

I don't think that was at all what was intended its just been passed on social media and under the circumstances a lot of people have commented.Its run away with itself.
The companies own facebook page is now inundated with comments of disgust now as well.

The lady in question will be going through the grieving process and will be extremely sensitive and emotionally vulnerable! By trying to use the voucher she was probably trying to move on at her pace. Surely the voucher could have been honoured as an act of human kindness!

Do you know how out of date the voucher was Gillian?

Latest posts

Back