New car?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TweezerHappy

Reaction score
I need a new car. I've had my wee Clio for 5 years now. In the past year I've had quite a few things going wrong with it so time for something new.

I have no idea what I want though. Hubby doesn't drive so this will be the only car. I like BMW 1 Series, Honda Civic and Audi A4. Hubby likes VW Golf and BMW 3 Series.

We're quite flexible with budget. Going to start test driving soon. Can you recommend anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

During all that snow there, which I do think will be a regular feature in the West of Scotland winters from now on, BMWs were the ones skidding all over the road, when they did actually get any traction, has totally put me off them.

I know it could be a big jump from a Clio but I love my Toyota Rav4 I changed to it after I came off second best in a crash in my wee Vauxhall Corsa and I would never go back to a wee car now.
MY hubby loves his VW Golf though and its road handling was pretty good during the snow too, but not as good as the Rav lol :lol:

During all that snow there, which I do think will be a regular feature in the West of Scotland winters from now on, BMWs were the ones skidding all over the road, when they did actually get any traction, has totally put me off them.

I know it could be a big jump from a Clio but I love my Toyota Rav4 I changed to it after I came off second best in a crash in my wee Vauxhall Corsa and I would never go back to a wee car now.
MY hubby loves his VW Golf though and its road handling was pretty good during the snow too, but not as good as the Rav lol :lol:

My sister suggested a Rav 4. Think I'll give it a test drive. :green: She has an X5 and had no bother during the snow. Been thinking about a Jeep of some sort, they're just so much bigger than a Clio :lol: I quite like the Nissan Qashqai. Seen they have a smaller version.

Forgot to say I need something that has decent fuel consumption too. I will be using the car for my day job which will involve going to Edinburgh once or twice a week.

When I first got my Rav I too was travelling to Edinburgh twice a week and found it was OK on fuel, but that was before it was 26.9p a litre :eek:

Get a bike lol!!!

I've got a BMW and it's a Rear Wheel Drive and a nightmare in the snow!! Sliding all over the place, skidding at junctions into the path of oncoming cars! Definitely not recommended!

The new Kia Sportage is supposed to be a really good car and value for money!

I'd go for an Audi any day. Not flash cars but my goodness they hold their value and just don't seem to go wrong. We had one for 10 years and it wasn't new when we bought it. It had over 200,000 miles on the clock when it finally went to the scrap heap in the sky and that was a petrol engine. If you go for a diesel engine you will get even more. Never a problem in dodgy road conditions either.

I need a new car. I've had my wee Clio for 5 years now. In the past year I've had quite a few things going wrong with it so time for something new.

I have no idea what I want though. Hubby doesn't drive so this will be the only car. I like BMW 1 Series, Honda Civic and Audi A4. Hubby likes VW Golf and BMW 3 Series.

We're quite flexible with budget. Going to start test driving soon. Can you recommend anything else?

BMW are rear wheel drive and they don't like the snow or ice. I've a mercedes (actually this is my second one, had a c class then bought the e class) lovely car, well built, but terrible in bad weather again because it is rear wheel drive! It didn't go out the garage for 4 and a half weeks over christmas so had to share my hubby's 4 wheel drive volvo.

VW are good to drive, I've had a golf and passat although the golf needed a new engine at 8 months and the passat had intermittant problems that they couldn't diagnose for 3 years until it was a week out of it's warranty, cue large bill from VW that I refused to pay lol.

Don't know Honda but Audi are quite good from what I've heard although they do go through a lot of oil. Why not look at the car reviews on top gear site, that's very good as is the what car site. Combine test drives with reading reviews on these sites and I'm sure you'll find hte best one for you.

If we did get a BMW I think I would be sh!tting myself driving in the snow. Although, have you seen the X1? It looks so cute!

I've always been kinda "meh" about Golfs but the more I think about them I think they might be best for me, going from a Clio. Not too much bigger.

Busy this weekend so next weekend I'm going to go check out some dealerships.

Latest posts

Back