New client-reassurance in doing them!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struckbyastar

Reaction score
So I've had a spate of people messaging me wanting acrylics with nails so small and/or damaged or with unrealistic ideas that I can't change so I thought I'd get some advice with the lady that's just messaged me. She's had acrylics on for quite a while from an NSS salon and its weakened her nails so they're thin and brittle. I'm hazarding a guess from my own NSS experiences in the past that her nails will also be ridged. She's saying maybe overlays would be better for her than extensions, but wondering if that's because she thinks they'll be less damaging to her nails?! I have explained that how I trained to do acrylics should cause no damage to the natural nail. I currently only offer acrylics, although I'm doing the shellac course in a few weeks time, as although I've used brands of gel polish that currently don't offer training (on friends and family only of course) I want to be qualified and insured!

I'm wondering if, as her nails are weak and look quite flat, as I'm not the most experienced with acrylics, if I should offer her shellac, explaining I will be doing the course, nstead of acrylics, to help her grow her own nails back, and if that will be kinder to her nails? Whilst I want clients and experience I don't want to offer anyone a service that doesn't benefit them!
She sent me a photo of her nails..
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1464603648.407384.jpg

... I just feel a bit like I've lost my nerve when it comes to getting new clients and if I'm experienced enough to offer them a service that's good enough!!

Happy bank holiday Monday lovelies :) x

I think her suggestion of overlays is perfect, it's certainly what I would do in this situation. 'Natural nail overlays' are simply a layer of L&P/gel over the existing nail (no matter what length) - so exactly what is needed in this situation... protection for the existing nail, coverage of the damage, no extra length to potentially break and make things worse.

I'd NNO for the next couple of months, encourage plenty of solar oil use and review in 2/3
appointments

Eta - you can polish over the top is she wants colour and to disguise the damage underneath

If her nails are very weak they probably won't be suited to shellac.

If she's asked for overlays then I'd do that or short extensions. They don't look too short and I'd sell her a solar oil [emoji4]

Do you sculpt? X

If her nails are very weak they probably won't be suited to shellac.

If she's asked for overlays then I'd do that or short extensions. They don't look too short and I'd sell her a solar oil [emoji4]

Do you sculpt? X
No, not on clients only on myself, and her nail beds look quite flat hence why I was a bit worried about extending them. But if she's happy with overlays then I'm okay with that; I just don't want to give her the wrong advice or not advise her correctly! As a newbie, I would rather pass a prospective client onto someone else if I can't achieve the nails they're looking for rather than leave them unhappy!

Would a product like rescue rxx be good to recommend her? obviously not for straight away as I know you need to have natural nails? Or is there another kind of strengthening product I could recommend that could be used under acrylic? Also, do you think cuticle removal on her will be ok with Cuticle Away or will I need Cuticle Eraser? x

I don't use cnd so can't really advise.
Sculpting would've been good just to even out the free edge so it looked better.
I'd do an overlay, give her a solar oil and rebook her every 2 weeks for infills. She'll have a bit more length on them after a couple of appointments and they'll look much better X

Latest posts

Back