New John Lewis Xmas advert

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too initially thought I must actually be a really hard cow as everyone was saying how emotional they were getting at watching and I was like really??????

But then on reflection and really looking at what was going on I too smiled to myself got emotional and thought what a lovely advert lol....

The tale opens as winter is starting to draw in and the fun and excitement of preparing for Christmas begins.....

As the first snowflake falls and lands on the bear’s nose, the hare starts to feel sad because he realises his friend will soon go off to hibernate, so – as usual - missing Christmas......

While the bear is keen to join in, eventually he finds he cannot hold off his winter sleep any longer and disappears into his cave.....

Viewers see the bear fast asleep while all the other woodland creatures become excited about the big day to come......

The sad bit..... The hare fears that the bear is missing out, so he comes up with a bright idea

The Best friend bit.....Carrying a gift, the hare follows the bear into the wilderness where he is in hibernation....

However, the hare is missing his friend and finds it increasingly difficult to join in the preparations until the moment he has a great idea for a very special present.....

He disappears off in to the wilderness to return with the gift – an alarm clock – which wakes the bear just in time to gather around a beautifully decorated tree to celebrate with all his friends.....

The commercial, carries the strapline ‘Give someone a Christmas they’ll never forget’......

The story evokes the excitement of a first Christmas and the importance of friendship and thoughtfulness.’

The Tearjerker bit ....The alarm clock means that for the very first time the bear is awake for Christmas

Call me sentimental but I shed a little tear too x

Your description has started me off again! x

So let me get this right, you both believe that no companies should spend on advertising? We should collapse the advertising industry and distribute the money usually spent on telly adverts on homeless people?
If companies are trading ethically, paying their corp tax, and paying their staff a living wage, then surely their continued success prevents their thousands of staff from becoming homeless????
Oh god, this is a whole other argument, and if can see yet another thread becoming derailed.

Personally, I'm with the Bear and the Hare here.

And all the people that work in advertising. What happens to them if companies stop advertising lol
And by their standards does this mean that I cant advertise my business because I may become successful and my £3000 advertising budget should go to a homeless charity, maybe even one that caters for homeless advertising guys?
Why do we hate on anyone who is successful. Their spend is relative to their success and earnings

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I thought it was an interesting comment and something a little different and thought provoking. It doesn't need to turn into a war or become derailed at any point. We all have views and opinions it doesn't make it right or wrong. It was just something a little different to the usual repetitive threads that's all.

I know charities are personal to individuals but I wondered if knowing that from the advert/shop a portion went to a charity would it make people shop there more, would it have an influence on consumers? You could say the same for all the big stores but I've chosen John Lewis purely because the thread is about them.

Is the advert money will spent? They are extremely well known do they need to advertise on this scale would the money be better off going to a charity instead (I only mentioned the homeless as they are generally thought of at Christmas).

Personally, I love John Lewis as a shop and often purchase from there, however I wouldn't entertain primark for few reasons... but this is purely through choice, not because of affordability. In this world there will always be a divide. Being successful will always cause jealousy. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer as the saying goes.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Fortnum and Mason are owned by a charitable trust, so by buying my pud and other Christmas goodies in there, I'm doing my bit!!!
John Lewis also is structured as a charitable trust in it's articles of association, and makes a substantial donation every year. It just doesn't brag about it. Using a charity as a marketing ploy would be particularly odious cynicism. If you do your research, it's quite easy to find out which companies trade ethically, and which don't. For instance I never shop at Tesco, avoid Starbucks, and never buy from Primark, amongst others.
I won't apologise for buying all big purchases from John Lewis. Like I said, their customer service and guarantees are superb.

Nor should you Persianista, and I don't think anyone even hinted that you should :confused:
I also buy large items from John Lewis as they do price match and are ethical.

Anyway have now seen the advert....very quaint, but actually I think the M&S advert is better this year! Ha Ha....:wink2:

And all the people that work in advertising. What happens to them if companies stop advertising lol
And by their standards does this mean that I cant advertise my business because I may become successful and my £3000 advertising budget should go to a homeless charity, maybe even one that caters for homeless advertising guys?
Why do we hate on anyone who is successful. Their spend is relative to their success and earnings

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow just wow......to quote yourself!
Nobody is 'hating' anything least of all success, and no one wants to ban advertising, where did that come from......that's a rhetorical question by the way ;) no answer required.

No need to overreact, or read something into posts that isn't there.
Intelligent debate, looking at things from other viewpoints, that's what's makes this site..and life more interesting!

Maybe my vision of a Utopian society won't happen anytime soon, but maybe we could make a little start on here :Love:

Watched the advert today and the song used is the Keane song we chose for my mums funeral, so was in tears for different reasons. Will dread that advert coming on now :(

Watched the advert today and the song used is the Keane song we chose for my mums funeral, so was in tears for different reasons. Will dread that advert coming on now :(

Oh Natalie :( xxxxx (((hug))))

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow just wow......to quote yourself!
Nobody is 'hating' anything least of all success, and no one wants to ban advertising, where did that come from......that's a rhetorical question by the way ;) no answer required.

No need to overreact, or read something into posts that isn't there.
Intelligent debate, looking at things from other viewpoints, that's what's makes this site..and life more interesting!

Maybe my vision of a Utopian society won't happen anytime soon, but maybe we could make a little start on here :Love:

Actually, it was said a few pages back that rather than spending millions on an advert, they should donate the money to a homeless charity, and broadcast that.

I pointed out that if a company did that, they'd get slated for being cynical.

Your Utopian society did exist at one point. During the Russian revolution, all the rich people were got rid of, ownership of everything was given to the 'people' via the state, and companies as we know them ceased to exist.
We all know how that turned out.

The story of the Oligarch is on it's way!!!!:D

Oh that is sad. It is a sad song regardless of what emotional attachment it brings with it. Xxxxx

Oh that is sad. It is a sad song regardless of what emotional attachment it brings with it. Xxxxx

It is a moving song and the words mean a lot to me xx

Yesterday I wrote the above but the analytical person I am has just realised that.........

Bears spend the winter in hibernation because the food is scarce .....By going into hibernation the bear bypasses winter when their food supply, nuts and berries, are few and far between....

During hibernation the bear cuddles up in a cave or in a hollowed out tree, safe from the dangers of winter. In order to survive this long period of inactivity the bear must build up its body weight by accumulating fat...... While in hibernation the bear uses the stored energy it accumulated as fat to survive.....

So actually the hare who we were all saying aww what a lovely friend to give a gift so he sees Xmas .....is now actually gonna kill the blooming bear.....what kinda blooming friend is he ......happy blooming Christmas haha

So we can all stop being sentimental....the bear will see Christmas this year but definitely won't see anymore lol .....

Sorry for spoiling lol xx

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one thinking this lol
My first thought was that bear isn't going to be best pleased at being woken up! I half expected him to run amock and eat all the cute furry animals. I guess I just have a really warped sense of humour :0/

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back