New John Lewis Xmas advert

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally overthinking hence I said my analytical thinking lol..... And yep it was only meant to be light hearted hence the haha's and lol's in the post.....but I know by posting anything I will always come across negativity hence I don't post really .....( this wasn't aimed at you ) x

Don't you worry. ..I laughed at your post. .you want to read some of mine! I watched the advert. .I like Keane so was singing at the top of my voice. ..as for crying. ..No. The day an advert brings me (personally) to tears I'll be straight to the doctors. Lovely advert all the same and clever marketing and brings warmth to our judgement. .

However, the only thing that makes me cry about John Lewis are the prices. ...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It cost a million to make? Are you serious?
You're all gonna pay for it with their hiked up prices. Im not shopping there for Xmas :)

Virtues2011....you are so right.....i do read your posts and they have me crying more so than the John Lewis advert but In laughter .....thankyou :)

....I love keane too so don't understand why they don't use the original instead of using lily Allen to cover but again my opinion please don't shoot me down people just my humble opinion..

....I think it was more like 7million to make ....but again could be hearsay.....

god it's hard work posting I've spent more time justifying why I'm writing something than actually getting my opinion across but hey ho lol .....

Last edited:
It's the same animators that worked on the Lion King... Plus Lily Allen's wage... Maybe that's why it cost them a million to make it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It cost a million to make? Are you serious?
You're all gonna pay for it with their hiked up prices. Im not shopping there for Xmas :)

Now there Missymuffin . . . a million you say. . Not too bad considering animation is cheaper than actors. ..so I would leave out shopping at marks and Spencer, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl (where good second hand food costs less) co-op (where you can buy one joint of meat that contains a duck, a pig, a chicken, a cow and a lamb) ..... looks like a Turkey pasty from Gregs is your Christmas dinner with tune of "it'll be lonely this Christmas" playing in the background...... ha ha ha :)

I loved it. It had me and the other half welling up which is shocking for him lol.

I loved last years also. They always pull it out of the bag.

Such a lovely advert.

Ok here's a thought for the John Lewis advert. .....

Do you belive they have targeted the privileged and as a result we see hope, what about the underprivileged? they don't even see a future how do we help them?

Last edited:

My belief is they have targeted the privileged and as a result we see hope, what about the underprivileged? they don't even see a future how do we help them?

I agree......The blooming 7 million they spent making the advert would help the under privileged as a start? .....not that would ever happen ....lol

My belief is they have targeted the privileged and as a result we see hope, what about the underprivileged? they don't even see a future how do we help them?

....seriously

....seriously

It's generally the most ignorant or the most blissful that would come out with this sort of comment.

Would you feel any different if the advert followed on with a statement of "supporting the homeless" would it make you spend more money there? Or do we all go all gooey because the advert depicts ' giving a Christmas to remember" when half the country probably isn't having a Christmas. .. unless this is where primark flourish and target the poverty stricken where John Lewis target the priviledged.

Last edited:
It's generally the most ignorant or the most blissful that would come out with this sort of comment.

Would you feel any different if the advert followed on with a statement of "supporting the homeless" would it make you spend more money there? Or do we all go all gooey because the advert depicts ' giving a Christmas to remember" when half the country probably isn't having a Christmas. .. unless this is where primark flourish and target the poverty stricken where John Lewis target the priviledged.

You came to the conclusion that I was ignorant or blissful from the word "seriously".... Wow

Wow...just Wow.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes probably, but I did say one or the other! ...well if anyone took an interest it would be worth a good debate to be fair, providing it was understood in the first place....I suppose I just have to resign myself to the endless threads of " I have no clients or she sells Shellac for £3.50.!" Jeeezzzz....Oh well to bed it is....

Apologies for the sarcasm..but sometimes it is necessary. :eek:

I cried and I never cry 😂 it's cute but not a patch on the snowmen from last year my god I'm welling up just thinking about it haha x

John Lewis slogan is 'Never knowingly undersold' so they refund the difference if you find the same product cheaper within a certain radius. Hardly scammers or profiteers.
I like the company, and shop there a lot, partly because it's a great shop, and has a unique structure that gives ownership to its staff, the 'partners', ensuring superb customer service, and it has the best guarantee policy of all the major retailers.
It pays it's staff well, has good quality merchandise, and while I agree that it doesn't target the same customers as Lidl or Primark, it is the fastest growing of all the retailers.
They're doing it right, and teaches us all a lesson in staying true to the target market.

I also think their marketing is genius. We're all talking about their ad, even the Primark shopper on here, who would never shop in there.

I still haven't seen the Advert I'm waiting for it to just appear during the actual adverts whilst watching TV. Might take a while as I tend to watch everything these days by recording it to I can fast forward the adverts...but I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

I agree with both virtues2011 and Persianista here though ;)

It certainly doesn't do any harm to discuss the relevance of producing a marketing campaign like this when so many people this particular Christmas will be wondering if they can heat their home never mind go Christmas Shopping.

However as stores go as persianista said John Lewis is up there as one of the best for quality and price, and they don't have employees but partners in the business. I love to shop there, and would do so whether they had a good advertising campaign or not.

So let me get this right, you both believe that no companies should spend on advertising? We should collapse the advertising industry and distribute the money usually spent on telly adverts on homeless people?
If companies are trading ethically, paying their corp tax, and paying their staff a living wage, then surely their continued success prevents their thousands of staff from becoming homeless????
Oh god, this is a whole other argument, and if can see yet another thread becoming derailed.

Personally, I'm with the Bear and the Hare here.

Being able to discuss something and see it from another viewpoint does not mean you are against it, and saying we should think about people struggling financially this year does not mean stop all advertising. There are shades of grey, not everything in life is black and white.

John Lewis leads the way, and their advertising is genuinely groundbreaking.
So many other companies now are copying their previous adverts.
Personally I don't think they will ever surpass the one with the wee boy 2 years ago, and how can it be wrong to give out the message it is better to give than to receive?

As they are the leaders, how refreshing would it be if one year when we are all discussing what the John Lewis Christmas Advert will be if they did something totally different and charity based?
I'm not talking totally mad like Kris Kringle in Miracle on 34th St telling people people to shop somewhere else for some items, but something that will make their shoppers even more loyal to them attract new idealistic customers and maybe make everyone dig deep for others less fortunate too.

I know it is probably me hoping for a nice Utopian Christmas, but I can dream can't I?

I wasn't keen on the little boy ad, thought it was twee, and would only appeal to parents.

If people want to support charities, they can, and it should be a private decision, made with a view to ones conscience and personal life experience, my personal choice isn't a homeless charity, but I support my local hospice as they looked after my father during his death.

There are some terrible injustices in this world, including poverty, homelessness and exploitation, but demanding that an ethical company doesn't advertise at Christmas due to the money spent employing creatives, artists, musicians etc is a bit daft.
The vast majority still enjoy the Christmas traditions, and the continued erosion of the celebration on the premise that those that can't afford it will suffer is a rather disingenuous argument. Other religions don't celebrate it either, but that's no reason that we shouldn't.
My family don't do Xmas gifts, so 'affording' isn't really an issue. If I personally knew a family or person who couldn't afford a Christmas dinner, I would buy them the necessary items, or invite them to mine. What I won't do is eat dust on Xmas day in a hair shirt just to appease a politically correct point of view.

I agree, and I know that even if something like I suggested was done, there would be an outcry from other cross sections of our society that messages like that shouldn't be forced upon us, and maybe if I hadn't had the year I've just had I would be one of them ;)

Of course giving to charity is a personal thing, and whether or not you celebrate Christmas, I do think we have to accept that the Christian message has been diluted , and consumerism has taken over.
I say that as an Agnostic who is only too aware that consumerism is what drives our economy and the Christmas season this year will be make or break for many shops and businesses.

A lot of food for thought from discussing an advert.......thanks geeks.

Maybe I will go watch it now :)

Latest posts

Back