New lash client - advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

There are a gazillion threads all about cluster lashes already I know, I have read nearly all of them this morning :zzz: :lol:

However, my questions remain unanswered so wondered if you could help me out.

I have a new client that has emailed to ask for Eyelash Extensions. I have made sure that she is aware that it is only clusters that I do and NOT the semi permanent ones.

She is coming Thursday evening and wants them as she is a Bridesmaid on Saturday. I have explained to her that I cannot guarantee they will still be in place by then, as their longevity depends on her aftercare and how much she moves about in her sleep. I said they can last between 1 day and 2 weeks but ideally need to be removed after 3-5 days.

I will be using the Ardell Duralash ones that are knot free with Ardell Lash glue in Black. I also have a few mini short SS ones but they have bulbs on the ends, so probably won't use them and have been told they are a nightmare to get out of the packaging as they're so tiny.

As she is going to be a Bridesmaid, then she will be having her make up done on the day. In my training I was told no mascara should be worn with cluster lashes and I just want to double check on this with you guys, as she is saying that she wants to wear it.

Also, when applying clusters, do you all curl the clients lashes first at all?

Other than telling her to be careful, using oil free make up remover for eye make up, is there any other aftercare I should give to her?

Many thanks :hug:

If they are done on Thursday, I'm afraid they won't look their best on Saturday. She will have been sleeping on them for 2 nights.

Usually make up artists will apply these on the day.

She shouldn't really need mascara but it can help blend them. As long as she isn't wearing mascara before the big day because they will be awful and clumpy come Saturday.

You can trim the Duralash ones with cuticle scissors. Just trim each hair individually to get slightly different lengths is this will look more natural than cutting straight across.

I wouldn't curl them unless her lashes are downward facing. Clusters are quick application treatment so I wouldn't give myself any extra work if unnecessary.

Your aftercare advice is perfect.

It's up to you of course but I would be discouraging her from getting them done a few days in advance.

Last edited:
Hi Planky :)

I never curl the eyelashes before application, I've never really thought about it but the curl will drop and maybe leave the lashes a bit wonky? Maybe not but just a thought I had lol

Do you tint eyelashes, if so you could up sell to her to have them tinted before application.
Personally when I apply clusters to myself I wear mascara also, but I am super careful not to pull the lashes.
If she is adamant that she wants to wear mascara on the Saturday then tell her you don't advise it as it may pull out the lashes but if she decides to go ahead to be really gentle.

Also, forgot to add that it would be best if she could come to on the Friday evening or even better the Saturday morning.

Really you've covered the aftercare, avoiding oil based eye make up removers, trying not to rub the eyes and ensuring that she knows that she needs to return for removal :) x

Thanks ladies. I am trying to put her off :lol: unfortunately I don't have any appointments available on the Friday or Saturday, so have said about they probably won't last, that usually a few come out after a nights sleep and won't look as good as freshly done but have also said it's obviously up to her. I've been honest and told her the truth, up to her now I guess.

Yes I do tinting, so if she decides to go ahead then I'll speak to her about getting them tinted as well when she comes in for her patch test. Then I can do both glue and tint patch test at the same time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thanks ladies. I am trying to put her off :lol: unfortunately I don't have any appointments available on the Friday or Saturday, so have said about they probably won't last, that usually a few come out after a nights sleep and won't look as good as freshly done but have also said it's obviously up to her. I've been honest and told her the truth, up to her now I guess.

Yes I do tinting, so if she decides to go ahead then I'll speak to her about getting them tinted as well when she comes in for her patch test. Then I can do both glue and tint patch test at the same time.

It's hard trying to fit people in before an event sometimes but you've given her the facts and it's now up to her.

I hate losing potential clients when there are time constraints and sometimes end up working later or earlier, trying to accommodate them, then I end up stressed or having to cancel plans. Sorry went on a bit of a ramble there lol x

It's hard trying to fit people in before an event sometimes but you've given her the facts and it's now up to her.

I hate losing potential clients when there are time constraints and sometimes end up working later or earlier, trying to accommodate them, then I end up stressed or having to cancel plans. Sorry went on a bit of a ramble there lol x

I've been doing the same and have already packed in 2 clients on Friday night probably resulting in a very late finish as they are both for lots of treatments, about 3 hours worth each :eek: Just hate not being able to fit people in!

I've been doing the same and have already packed in 2 clients on Friday night probably resulting in a very late finish as they are both for lots of treatments, about 3 hours worth each :eek: Just hate not being able to fit people in!

You're the same as me, trying to fit clients around children and childcare, it's not easy!
Its great that we have the problem of not bring able to fit people in, but it's stressful when we can't do it lol!

I've just had a message from a bride to be asking if I can do a set of gel enhancements tomorrow morning but I'd planned to take my kids to a dinosaur exhibition 40 miles away and I'm now frantically trying to work out where I can fit her in lol! X

You're the same as me, trying to fit clients around children and childcare, it's not easy!
Its great that we have the problem of not bring able to fit people in, but it's stressful when we can't do it lol!

I've just had a message from a bride to be asking if I can do a set of gel enhancements tomorrow morning but I'd planned to take my kids to a dinosaur exhibition 40 miles away and I'm now frantically trying to work out where I can fit her in lol! X

What are we like?! :D I said I wouldn't do this too :rolleyes: Loving it but yes, feeling a bit swamped already!! Trying to remember I'm blessed though and not moan, just wish I could have a few more hours in the day!! Doesn't help that most of my clients are LOVING the fact I work every evening and all want to come then, I only have a few that like daytime when I can actually fit them in no problem :lol:

I know, my clients are the same, they love that I work til 9pm or later sometimes but it's hard juggling appointments round the boys.
Hopefully once we build up our client lists we can do full days instead...

Are you doing the lashes tonight? x

Glad I came across this thread!

I am due to do some clusters in September and haven't done ANY since I left college.

Really nervous about doing them so will be practising in the mean time. Can I ask why you would trim them with scissors? Surely you have the choice of a few different lengths? Or do the Ardell ones only come in one size?

Could you tell me where you order the knot free ones from? I cant seem to find any!

Also as part of the consultation I take it this is where you establish what kind of look they are going for?

Sorry to jump on your thread Planky :(

I know, my clients are the same, they love that I work til 9pm or later sometimes but it's hard juggling appointments round the boys.
Hopefully once we build up our client lists we can do full days instead...

Are you doing the lashes tonight? x

No, next week :wink2: If she decides to go ahead that is....

Glad I came across this thread!

I am due to do some clusters in September and haven't done ANY since I left college.

Really nervous about doing them so will be practising in the mean time. Can I ask why you would trim them with scissors? Surely you have the choice of a few different lengths? Or do the Ardell ones only come in one size?

Could you tell me where you order the knot free ones from? I cant seem to find any!

Also as part of the consultation I take it this is where you establish what kind of look they are going for?

Sorry to jump on your thread Planky :(

No worries :hug: I personally wouldn't trim them if I can avoid it as they are produced to look a certain way, so I always try and stick with the sizes as they are. elliebee was just meaning I could do that if I need some tiny ones for the inner corners, as the ones that are sold for that purpose are notoriously difficult to get out of the packaging still in one piece :wink2:

I just got my knot free ones from Ellisons or Sally's, no special ordering but you could do this online if you wanted to. And yes, during consultation, I usually give the client a mirror to hold and we'll talk about how they want them to look etc.

And don't be nervous, you'll be fine. I haven't done any for a while either but I LOVE lashes so much, so can't wait to do them again (if she goes ahead!) Try not to think it over too much, you have a while yet. get some friends or family in for some practice :hug:

Thankyou Planky

I shall get ordering and practising.

Can I ask a very simple/stupid question? When you dip the lash in the glue do you stroke up the lashes fist to get a slight coating and then attach, or are you purely working on attaching that bulb to the base of the lash? (obviously not toughing the skin!)

I was taught in college and to be honest it was seriously rushed through.

Do you tend to stick to the basic principle of med most of the way through and a few longer ones on the outer edges?

Thankyou

Thankyou Planky

I shall get ordering and practising.

Can I ask a very simple/stupid question? When you dip the lash in the glue do you stroke up the lashes fist to get a slight coating and then attach, or are you purely working on attaching that bulb to the base of the lash? (obviously not toughing the skin!)

I was taught in college and to be honest it was seriously rushed through.

Do you tend to stick to the basic principle of med most of the way through and a few longer ones on the outer edges?

Thankyou

I always just attach the lashes to the lash root, as close as possible without touching the skin but having read many threads on here yesterday, I noted that a lot of other geeks do the stroking down the lash then attaching so I might give it a go and see if it makes a difference.

And I have never used the long ones, I always just use medium and short. The long ones look very spider leg looking, so wouldn't use them unless someone was adamant they wanted them but I would always give my advice and try to dissuade them from having the long ones, unless for a fancy dress party or something. If they want a natural look then medium is plenty long enough IMO

Ok, seems I didn't put her off, she has emailed back to say she really wants them done and they sound great :irked: Oh well, I've warned her and it's all in writing, so she can't come back complaining if they look rubbish by Saturday. Let's hope they last and do look ok then......:eek:

She's popping in Wednesday for the patch test, we'll talk it over some more just to make sure she really understands

Well you've explained to her and given her your professional opinion and she obviously really wants them done so I hope they last for her.
Just be aware that a lot of girls do want the long lashes as they want that full, fake look, so best to have the long lengths in stock just incase :)

You'll have to let us know how you get on and if she gives you any feedback from after the wedding :) x

Well you've explained to her and given her your professional opinion and she obviously really wants them done so I hope they last for her.
Just be aware that a lot of girls do want the long lashes as they want that full, fake look, so best to have the long lengths in stock just incase :)

You'll have to let us know how you get on and if she gives you any feedback from after the wedding :) x

I always have them in stock, just try and persuade them that the medium looks much nicer but yes, you always get a few that one them as long as possible!

I will take before and after photos and will update definitely. Not done a set for ages, so hope it goes ok :eek: I love lashes so much though, I don't feel nervous, just want them to last for her at least until Saturday! Think I'll try the stroking the lash with the lash glue like some have mentioned on here to see if that helps them last longer, do you do that Pinkfairy?

Nestle them right down into the natural lashes. I kind of shimmy and shake them as I do this and snuggle them in.

This ensures maximum contact between the natural lashes and the clusters and blends them in much better.

Nestle them right down into the natural lashes. I kind of shimmy and shake them as I do this and snuggle them in.

This ensures maximum contact between the natural lashes and the clusters and blends them in much better.

Great, thanks elliebee. I shall shimmy and shake :)

So my lady came for her patch test last night and she is about 7ft tall!!!!! :eek: She is also quite well built shall we say and so I don't think lying on my couch is going to be very comfortable for her?! Would you still ask your client to lie down, not sure how else I can do this, as she'll also be too tall to sit in a chair and me be able to do the treatment effectively, as I usually work from behind.

My couch is a portable one so not sure how sturdy they are?!

I do them with their eyes open looking slightly down and client sitting in a chair! i stand slightly behind them facing the direction they are facing iykwim... :biggrin: x

Back