new salon, so confused where to start!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachirv

Reaction score
hi there geeks!

i have been working in a 5 star spa for 5 years now and have been qualified for 3! after having my little girl nearly a year ago i have decided to take the plunge and buy my own salon with the help of my parents!

however, i really do not have any idea where to start! i know what treatments i want to offer manis, pedis, enhancements, facials, massage, spray tans, body treatments, eyelash extentions, hopi ear candles, eye treatments. i am just stuck on which products to choose! as i have not worked on my own yet, having been in a spa, i am not a member of babtac or such so i am finding it hard to register with the professional areas of some skincare websites! i really dont know how to get hold of information or samples etc..

also, i am looking to have shabby chic furniture to be a bit different, can anybody reccomend a good website...
sorry to babble on, i just need all the advice i can, about how to get set u,
any advice or info anybody has on the above, or just generally about oening my own salon would be much much apreciated!!! thanks geeks!

love rachel!!!!

Hi

well you have come to the best place for help and advice, there is plenty on here (too much sometimes though, gets a bit mind boggling!).

From my experience, I have looked at what I have used and taken bits of what I liked and what I foresee my clients enjoying. this is probably a good time to do a Business Plan etc.

Get as much information as you can from suppliers, ring them if possible and explain what you want. A few brands used by peeps on here are Dermalogica, Decleor (why not try them if you know it already), Eve Taylor, Environ, SwissDermyl, Germaine De Cappacino, Gerards, Proto-col, (sorry if I have left any out!)ok now brain has died.......

Insurance wise, there are plenty out there - i.e Salon Gold, BABTAC, The Guild, ABT all good but again it has to be preference of what suits you and your budget and needs, get details from them all and weigh up.

Furniture wise, you could try second hand furniture places too and maybe have to do a bit of DIY by painting. Otherwise some furniture that i am looking into for my new Beauty Room when I move is to use a range called Corona which is a mexican style.

For Mani and Peds, if you are used to Leyton Denny why not speak to them to see if they will allow you to use them, but there are many good brands out there. For massage oils and that spa feel I use Spa Journey products, they are really helpful and the smells are fab and add a bit of luxury.

I could go on all day - general bits and bobs such as Eyelash tint, hopi ear, oils etc can be started off using the wholesaler like Capital, Sallys, Salonserve etc.

Not sure this helps you at all but maybe a bit of a start, don't hesitate to ask if you need any more ideas.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
thank you so much for the advice! it has really helped my thank you. first thing tomorrow i will start ringing around places.
i just really want to make sure i do things right, so that i dont regret any desicions later on :lol:
thank u x if you think of any other useful info, please let me know! x

Hi where do you get the spa journey products from?

Hi

Is a company called Spa Journey - they are based near Portsmouth - go to www.spajourney.co.uk and click on the picture with Professional products.

Is very reasonable prices and lovely oils, they are fab at sending samples.

:)

hi there geeks!

i have been working in a 5 star spa for 5 years now and have been qualified for 3! after having my little girl nearly a year ago i have decided to take the plunge and buy my own salon with the help of my parents!

however, i really do not have any idea where to start! i know what treatments i want to offer manis, pedis, enhancements, facials, massage, spray tans, body treatments, eyelash extentions, hopi ear candles, eye treatments. i am just stuck on which products to choose! as i have not worked on my own yet, having been in a spa, i am not a member of babtac or such so i am finding it hard to register with the professional areas of some skincare websites! i really dont know how to get hold of information or samples etc..

also, i am looking to have shabby chic furniture to be a bit different, can anybody reccomend a good website...
sorry to babble on, i just need all the advice i can, about how to get set u,
any advice or info anybody has on the above, or just generally about oening my own salon would be much much apreciated!!! thanks geeks!

love rachel!!!!

Do you have your own qualifications hun or did the spa train you in each treatment,
you will need a certificate in every treatment you intend to offer, hth

oh cool just emailed them thanks x

Latest posts

Back