New software help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharE

Reaction score
Hi I've been looking 4 some software 4 my salon. They all seem 2 be expensive! I own a small business and only employ one girlie at the moment so i dont need anything thats offers lots of programs.

Mainly I need it 4: salon managment, stock control and tacking, barcode scanning, gift vouchers and appointments.

Please help have no idea. When I googled "salon software" so many different software's came up that it has made me more confused! :grr:

Thanks

There seem to be two main types of salon software on the market at the moment - standalone systems and online systems.

In general, the standalone systems will be more expensive, as there are often associated hardware requirements, e.g. barcode scanners, tills, touchscreens, etc. This will normally mean more initial capital outlay, or committing yourself to a hire purchase/finance agreement.

Online systems are a relatively new arrival on the salon software market, and are normally Web applications (that run in a bog standard web browser, e.g. Internet Explorer or Google Chrome) that provide salon management features such as appointment booking, stock control, marketing, etc. Often they also allow integration with a salon's website, so a client could make a booking online via the salon's website.

The business model for most online salon software is usually on a rental basis, often a monthly or annual fee, and no long contracts or tie-ins.

The main advantages of online salon software would be a generally far lower start-up cost - you would only need a bog standard computer (PC, laptop, Mac, etc) with a broadband connection and a web browser - and however much the monthly rental fee for using the software is.

Probably the main disadvantage of online salon software (to date) is that because it's predominantly web-based, it would not be so easy to integrate with hardware such as a barcode scanner - unless there was a special client application to interface with the barcode scanner that could communicate with the online software provider's server using a web service or whatever.

So I guess the main question is if the barcode scanner is 100% essential, as an online solution would probably be by far the cheaper option, at least initially.

That's about spot on, if you are small is bar code technology really required for all the expence? Online systems will give you flexibilty and can do all the rest at a far lower cost.

Try one and see how you get on, they are cheap enough with no long contracts and if you don't like them, spend the money then.

Hi, not all software prices are really high, the high cost comes in when you are wanting the hardware such as touch screens and cash drawers aswel. Most companies just do software packages that can be used on a standard laptop and then you could integrate which ever hardware you wanted after for example the bar code scanner. This way it wont cost the earth and later down the line if you want to upgrade to a touch screen adn other hardware you can. Most software companies also have a free trial to allow you to see whether the price is resaonable for your needs, having a salon software system can save you costs through reduce no shows, marketing and time, which can be spent more on clients therefore the benefits should outway the cots in the long run!

Hi, being a numbers geek I think a good salon management system is a great investment, especially if you are looking to grow.

We have just opening a second salon in Basingstoke and I went back to the people we bought the first system from.

Salon Active is quite expensive (we paid around £4k) but paid over three years at around £120 per month, which made it easier. That said, if you have some money, they do have special offers. We just bought a six month old repossession system from them for less than half price for the second salon.

Hope this helps.

Craig

SalonActive - Salon Software by Salon Advance

I take my last post back... A supposed recent upgrade to Salon Active turned out to be a cross-grade over to a new in-house piece of software Salon Advanced.

The computer I was given with the purchase in 2007 blew-up and despite me buying a new one, they couldn't give me a copy of the software because they couldn't support it (even though I've paid for it).

Having broached this with the supplier I have effectively been told the 'upgrade' which I had to pay for is the same and does not lack features. Aren't I the stupid one then.

I had also bought a second version but for our new salon but I can't have a refund as I have 'used' it... ie. put it on a computer in the staff room to try to understand how the 'upgrade' works. The supplier knows because he logged on, without my permission!

I'm a little angry right now - with myself, for not being more thorough. People... don't make the same mistake.

I take my last post back... A supposed recent upgrade to Salon Active turned out to be a cross-grade over to a new in-house piece of software Salon Advanced.

The computer I was given with the purchase in 2007 blew-up and despite me buying a new one, they couldn't give me a copy of the software because they couldn't support it (even though I've paid for it).

Having broached this with the supplier I have effectively been told the 'upgrade' which I had to pay for is the same and does not lack features. Aren't I the stupid one then.

I had also bought a second version but for our new salon but I can't have a refund as I have 'used' it... ie. put it on a computer in the staff room to try to understand how the 'upgrade' works. The supplier knows because he logged on, without my permission!

I'm a little angry right now - with myself, for not being more thorough. People... don't make the same mistake.

That is so annoying! Why do so many of these companies have such unfair terms and conditions that seem totally biased in their favour?

And isn't that just a bit naughty that your supplier was able to log on without your permission like that?

That is so annoying! Why do so many of these companies have such unfair terms and conditions that seem totally biased in their favour?

And isn't that just a bit naughty that your supplier was able to log on without your permission like that?

Yes, I am seeking legal advice on that one as it sounds quite a serious breach to me.

Yes, I am seeking legal advice on that one as it sounds quite a serious breach to me.

Yes - you'll need to check up on the data protection act, and see if they are allowed to do that in the small print - it still sounds dodgy though...

Hi, Sorry for butting in, but I to have purchased the software from Salon Advance and can safely say that if I knew of the problems I was going to have I would have happily given my money to someone else. I have been in contact with my solicitor.

I have been looking at salon Genius, does cost around 2k, but does everything and the support is really good, compared to the above. The annoying thing is, if I had gone to Salon Genius at the start, I wouldn't be in the situation I am today.....

Anyway, sorry for the whinge, but wish you the best of luck.

I feel the same way sedgecl. I had a demo of i-salon yesterday and have plumped to go down that road. It's so much better that Salon Advanced and does online booking so although I am gutted that I have just wasted 3 years and many thousands with Salon Advanced, I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope your dilemma works out well too.

Having spoken to my solicitors, I half wonder if it's even worth pursuing with the added hassle factor and potential costs. It just riles me that Salon Advanced seemed so blasé as to my position. Really don't want other people to make the same mistake.

I guess the more people on Salon Geek talk about the pros and cons of their systems, the better.

Hi
We use Essentials from DWB Solutions, They have been great, the software is very good and simple to use.
You can do all sorts of things appointment book, client records, retail stock control, staff commissions, SMS Text to client's mobile phone and lots of management reports for accounting. The system can be password protected, so you know who did what.
I have been with over a year now and have great support from them and would recommend them to anyone, their web site is Spa Software and Salon Software for Spa's, Day Spa's, Hotel Spa's Beauty Salon's and Clinics from DWB Solutions Ltd
Or phone 01626 830455
Hope this helps
EmzLou

21 posts and every one of them mentions the same software.....hmmmm

:)

I feel the same way sedgecl. I had a demo of i-salon yesterday and have plumped to go down that road. It's so much better that Salon Advanced and does online booking so although I am gutted that I have just wasted 3 years and many thousands with Salon Advanced, I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope your dilemma works out well too.

Having spoken to my solicitors, I half wonder if it's even worth pursuing with the added hassle factor and potential costs. It just riles me that Salon Advanced seemed so blasé as to my position. Really don't want other people to make the same mistake.

I guess the more people on Salon Geek talk about the pros and cons of their systems, the better.
Hi Craig

When I spoke to my solicitor he mentioned about small claims court. He also believes that it is a family business and after something that I received the other day I do tend to believe this. Not that the family business is a problem, the problem is the company, well lack off......Customer service is not their best forte.....

isalon is very good, it is used at the salon I worked at, but when I spoke to my old boss about it, she did mention that the monthly fee were quite expensive. I would recommend you ringing Dean at salon Genius, the software package they offer is very good and is half the cost. It wouldn't harm checking out another system before you buy a new one.

Good luck, would love to hear who you go with.

I opted for i-Salon.

Looking at their user base and track record as a company, and having been bitten by the Salon Advance crew, the monthly fee for support is a small price to pay in comparison for the peace-of-mind.

So. If there are any fans of Salon Advance out there, I am prepared to sell my systems - Salon Advance for £500 each. This includes the computer, display, keyboard and mouse, software, till, barcode scanner and receipt printer.

You would probably need to speak to them about support and training but seeing as the RRP is over £4k it could be a bargain as a starter.

Im a small salon too, 2 employees and myself, and i bought a software off ebay (dont scream at me!!!!) but it was really good, and the company is now online - they're calle d Alexandria Computers and the software is called Salon Maid.
Its been fantastic for me, keeps stock check, use it to calculate clients bills, its shows me daily, weekly, monthly takings, i can give refunds, etc etc etc! xx

Hi,

You might like to try us out - http://www.salonswift.com

We're fully-featured and ideal for smaller salons or those just starting out.

We charge no up-front costs and supply all hardware you want at cost price (yep we don't mark it up at all!).

Basically we charge just £20 a week for everything, online backups, support, training, the lot. You get a month's free trial and there's no lock-in contract at all (after all if our software's good why would we have to lock you in ;))

Just check out our website and contact us if you think you might be interested.

Hope this is useful to you!

Guy

There are loads of threads on here about salon software, I guess we could do with one 'essential guide' really!!?"

I've posted here in the past about who we went with, the Platinum Salon Software,
and we have now used it for some years so have had the full experience of their service.

Pros: I guess it cost a lot less than some of the bigger names but we found in demo that it did everything the other systems did, there is also a free download of the full system so you can see and use it, giving you an idea if it works for you.

Cons: You have to call a few times to get through, but if you leave a message they get back quickly.

We also we had to use there emergency recovery when the older computer packed up, they have a priority for if your computer fails so they get to you ahead of anything else but also the backup on our pendive has a list of your appointments and customer names so as someone said here "its not as worrying because everything is on the backup stick if it goes wrong"

We really love this software in our salon, it does all we will ever need it to do to enhance our business and save me valuable time! but we also know they are continually developing it to improve or add new features.

If you are looking into getting a software system software, there is also a really helpful report you can download from their website with tips that you could never possibly think of asking about. Worth a few minutes to have a look, I know it helped me when I was looking.....

You can call on 0845 680 0019 or their website is www.salonsoftwaresystem.com

SalonBabe...just a thought- by why do you mention the same software in every one of your posts on here?

And the only "con" is that they might not answer the phone straight away?

SalonBabe...just a thought- by why do you mention the same software in every one of your posts on here?

And the only "con" is that they might not answer the phone straight away?

I mention the same software as it's what we use in my salon and people on here have asked for thoughts and any recommendations??!!

I have to say the 'con' mentioned is the only one that I have come across, Platinum has been in our salon now for around 7 years and has always been an excellent product, for us.

Latest posts

Back