Newbie? And finding it difficult!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indigo1

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm currently attending CND 5 day foundation course. I go back this Saturday for day 4. I have enjoyed it so much and have learnt so much. However I have done my mums nails twice and sisters and they were not too good, bumpy, smile lines were terrible and just not good enough, I was supposed to do someones nails I know last week but I cancelled as I just felt like i couldn't do them. I also have two friends who want theirs done this week but I don't feel confident enough, but I know I need real life hands to practice on. When I do them on the trainer they come out a lot better. There has been
times I have felt I'm not cut out for this.

Has anyone else felt the same at the beginning? Sorry if my paragraphs don't come out, I'm using my phone.

Faye

Hi everyone

I'm currently attending CND 5 day foundation course. I go back this Saturday for day 4. I have enjoyed it so much and have learnt so much. However I have done my mums nails twice and sisters and they were not too good, bumpy, smile lines were terrible and just not good enough, I was supposed to do someones nails I know last week but I cancelled as I just felt like i couldn't do them. I also have two friends who want theirs done this week but I don't feel confident enough, but I know I need real life hands to practice on. When I do them on the trainer they come out a lot better. There has been
times I have felt I'm not cut out for this.

Has anyone else felt the same at the beginning? Sorry if my paragraphs don't come out, I'm using my phone.

Faye

Ok, you are being too hard on yourself!! You are learning a skill that your educator has been doing for years, and if it were that easy everyone would be doing it!!

You should do your friends nails but you should also make it clear that at this stage of your training they cannot expect slaon quality or salon timing. At this point as long as you are working safely (following the process you have been taught) and work on the things you noticed in your last set you will on your way to an improvement.

I did a thread on this a while ago, http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/51418-those-newbies-who-lack-confidence-their-nails.html. Take a look and read what others have to say and you'll see you're not alone.

Following on from theat thread I an now a CND Master Tech but just after my Foundation I truely thought I also wasn't sut out to be a nail tech. I am so glad I persevered though because I now have a successful business doing a job I love.

hth's

People only think doing nails is easy ............. no one has ever said it was.

I think you are being unrealistic to think that you will be doing great nails before you have even finished your Foundation course and even then realistically it will take you at leasst a year before you feel confident I would say along with skill building classes..

You know, in the old days when a person had to acquire a skill .. they had to do apprenticeships for years and to day many expect great results in mere days ... it really is a silly expectation to have.

Yes you must get the practice .. yes you must tell your friends they will not be perfect nails, and if you expect too much too soon, then you will be bound for disappointment and perhaps think you are not 'cut out' for nails.

Get your working head on and give it all you've got (which you will want to do if you are 'cut out' to do nails and if you give up easily then you are definitely not). There is plenty of help to hand .... one thing being the book 'nailclass' by gigi rouse. It will help you with your technique when your educator is not there.

If you can do nice nails on the nail trainer then you can do real people. Just work with much smaller amounts of product.

I have to say, the nail class book is vital! I bought it a month ago and my clients have ALL commented on my huge improvement in nails. (I also attended a CND course in leeds and am certain that the extra practise, the book and the tutition have helped to push me on).

You are in good hands with CND, the educators all hav ethe passion and commitment to help you through. You need to take baby steps now, break down the whole process of doing a set of nails, go over each part until you feel competent.

Can I suggest that you slow down a bit, do nails on friends that are understanding, make it clear to them that the nails you are doing on them are for practise only.

you have done the hard work, you are on the rocky road to being a nail tech. there are lots of bumps in the road (believe me!) but with dedication, practise and desire , you will succeed.

Best of luck chick!

tigi
xxxxx

Thanks for your replies, I realise my expectations are far too high and I need to slow down. I have just called my friend and said I'll do her nails Thursday,
scared!!:Grope: there is no way I will give up!

Thanks for the advice

when i started doing nails, they were like horses hooves and it took me ages to feel like i was doing an ok job. A few years down the line and im still learning loads. Make the most of all the information on offer here and by watching tutorials and videos you will improve quickly. I find that watching is a quicker way to learn than by reading tutorials as you can see whats going on. :)

Latest posts

Back