Newbie in need

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink Pink Pink

Reaction score
Hi geeks.
I am studyuing beauty therapy and nail enhancements at college at the mo with a seperate certificate in nail art.
My nail teacher is, for want of a better word, useless. I have done my nail art portfolio and handed it in 3 weeks ago (although deadline is easter). I have asked her for more things to do other than the basics (so far I have covered hand paint, rhinestones, flatstones, opalescent paint, glitter mixing, jewellery, striping tape, foils, self adhesive transfers, water release transfers, and marbling). Now I just sit in the class with nothing to do apart from play with acrylic build up - although she isn't actually telling me how to do it!!
This has turned into more of a moan than a question! LOL.
Any ideas of what to ask for and how to ask her for it??????
Oh, and I did a set of gels on my Mam and 4 tips snapped off within 24hrs? Why could this happen? I'm pretty sure I put them on right. They weren't perfect obviously but surely they should last longer than that?!?!?!?!?!?!!?:confused:

Oh, and I did a set of gels on my Mam and 4 tips snapped off within 24hrs? Why could this happen? I'm pretty sure I put them on right. They weren't perfect obviously but surely they should last longer than that?!?!?!?!?!?!!?:confused:

Have you covered this on your course yet?

Were they too long possibly for her lifestyle? Did you charge her LOL? Did you build the apex correctly?

Sorry to answer a question with a question but these are possible reasons.

Now I just sit in the class with nothing to do apart from play with acrylic build up - although she isn't actually telling me how to do it!!

Any ideas of what to ask for and how to ask her for it??????

:confused:

I have no idea what acrylic build up is...but it does sound intriguing:)

I think you have to take your teacher/Educator aside and have a chat with her....and ask her what else you are expected to cover in this course and how and when you are going to do it.

If she isn't able to answer your questions maybe you will need to go to the Head of Department.

You sound so keen and enthusiastic and I hope you don't lose that through being bored in your class.

Have you been taught Gel enhancements in this course...if so then the problems you have had, you should be going over with your teacher.
I think you need to write a list before you go speak to her.

Good Luck

Maybe it isnt called acrylic build up then??? I've been given l&p and a greased, laminated sheet of paper and then making different things/shapes/patterns. I did a bow which turned out really well but that was a bit of a fluke as, as I say, i havent actually been taught how to do it!!

And for my Mam's nails. The nails came off at the tip. I thought maybe I didnt apply enough glue or maybe the well wasnt big enough. My tips are the ones with the smile line shape (sorry for being v. un-technical). I made the tips really short - just passed fingertip.

And for my Mam's nails. The nails came off at the tip. I thought maybe I didnt apply enough glue or maybe the well wasnt big enough. My tips are the ones with the smile line shape (sorry for being v. un-technical). I made the tips really short - just passed fingertip.

It sounds like you didn't build the apex correctly - the strength is in the overlay and not the tip.

Check out the articles/tutorials forum for loads of information.

Have you had this kind of problem with any other sets? Did the rest of the gel come off or just where the tip was attached to the nail?

No gel came off - just tip. Not happened before but she was only my 6th ever set! Plenty of time for more mistakes!! LOL x
Definitley will pay more attention to apex. seems the best answer.

Def sounds like apex/length chuck.

Latest posts

Back