Newbie tanner! Advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amy886

Reaction score
First off I'd just like to say I found this site last week and have been addicted ever since, so much advice!!

I've bought my HVLP5008, and I am going do do the LA tanning online course as I have to young boys of which I am a full time mum, would you recommend this? And will I make a decent living out of it if I put the effort in to advertising, promotions etc?? What type of offers do you recommend I do once up and running? There is not alot of tanning salons or mobile tanners around my area so think (hope) I'll do pretty well. But the one in my local tan offers tans for £10 which being mobile is obviously too cheap, what prices do you charge.

I have got quite a few samples to test whichI'm so excited to try as soon as I've done my course, lots of models have offered so I'm doing that for free. But when I've used salons local myself, it's always orange so I guess they aren't using a very good solution, I want to offer totally the opposite, so I get repeat buisness, from reading through the forums I'm favouring Brown Bitz and Nouvatan what do you think of the 2? But am I right in thinking I'll get more by using a more well known brand like st tropez, fake bake or Sienna x? As it's not used around my area.

I want one that had good marketing products I can buy as I feel it would look more professional?? I know Sienna x have alot of material to purchase but find it a tad expensive, as at the end of the day we are promoting their buisness so feel it should be a little cheaper?

Last question lol.. Does anyone rent a room at a salon? How much would I be looking at and is it worth maybe looking into that also??

Sorry this is bit long winded lol, but just want to be going into this with my eyes wide open and knowing what to expect

Thanks in advance
Amy xxx

First off I'd just like to say I found this site last week and have been addicted ever since, so much advice!!

I've bought my HVLP5008, and I am going do do the LA tanning online course as I have to young boys of which I am a full time mum, would you recommend this? And will I make a decent living out of it if I put the effort in to advertising, promotions etc?? What type of offers do you recommend I do once up and running? There is not alot of tanning salons or mobile tanners around my area so think (hope) I'll do pretty well. But the one in my local tan offers tans for £10 which being mobile is obviously too cheap, what prices do you charge.

I have got quite a few samples to test whichI'm so excited to try as soon as I've done my course, lots of models have offered so I'm doing that for free. But when I've used salons local myself, it's always orange so I guess they aren't using a very good solution, I want to offer totally the opposite, so I get repeat buisness, from reading through the forums I'm favouring Brown Bitz and Nouvatan what do you think of the 2? But am I right in thinking I'll get more by using a more well known brand like st tropez, fake bake or Sienna x? As it's not used around my area.

I want one that had good marketing products I can buy as I feel it would look more professional?? I know Sienna x have alot of material to purchase but find it a tad expensive, as at the end of the day we are promoting their buisness so feel it should be a little cheaper?

Last question lol.. Does anyone rent a room at a salon? How much would I be looking at and is it worth maybe looking into that also??

Sorry this is bit long winded lol, but just want to be going into this with my eyes wide open and knowing what to expect

Thanks in advance
Amy xxx

hi Amy, la tanning are a good company, I've read that there online training is thorough too, you have to read all the information, sit a mini test & upload photos of your tans before you are certified. I'm not entirely sure I'd be brave enough to sit an online training programme though! only because i like someone there to tell me if & were I'm going wrong.

as for nouvatan, I use this brand & it's great. many geeks will agree with me too.

It's just a case of sampling a load of different tans, & making your decision at the end of the trial.

Yes you can earn a good income from tanning but it's not a get rich quick scheme (sadly lol) you do have to put the effort in advertising, sounds like your willing to commit though from your post above.

I personally wouldn't rent a room just for tanning, you'll get charged a fair whack & you have to solely rely on people wanting JUST a tan. spray tanning also has quieter periods, winter/after xmas, so if you rented a room & had no customers when you were quiet you'd be seriously out of pocket.

I'd go mobile or work from your home.

good luck x

Thankyou lush-lash for your words of wisdom haha!!

Totally understand I'm not going to be rich from it, it's either going to work in my area or not work. Looking to do it on evenings and weekends and day's when I'm able too!

The only thing With nouvatan that I've read is that it's golden rather than brown? Is this right as I want a more brown tan. Do your customers like it?, Bit of a silly question really. Have you always used it? And what price do you charge if you don't mind me asking?

Thinking of maybe stocking 2 different brands, ie. 1 for special occasions like brides etc. is this a good idea or shall I order the other in as I need it? Have you tried the fast tanner's are they more popular? 2 of my guinea pigs are red heads do you recommend 8 or 10%? they don't tan easily at all.

Thanks again lush lash seen many of your post's on here very helpful!! xx

I cant speak for the online course as I havent seen it but once you are trained the key is practice & believe in yourself!

Dont be put off my using tans that you think maybe less well known than others! You need a tan that you are happy with and your clients will be too then! I have used a few different brands over the years some that clients havent heard of but as long as they trust you & you believe in your tanning then thats fine! I work for Sunless Solutions now and whilst it may not be a brand that everyone is familiar with the clients I have all love it! Many of the TOWIE girls have been sprayed or trained with it which also helps! Take a look at our website and you'll see it is reasonable priced & there is many support materials too.

As for pricing dont price yourself down just because others are! I have a lady near me does tanning for £9, it hasnt affected me at all! People don't always want to go to the cheapest person as they are often wondering why they are so cheap! As long as your tans are good and so is your customer service people will come back to you and recommend you! Word of mouth is your best advertising tool!

Lastly good luck! :D

Thanks nat nat. Totally agree with what you say, I myself would definitely not go for a £9 spray tan, going to practice on my fiancé Friday after watching some you tube videos and the advice from here, as I can't wait much longer :D sooo excited to be set up and running but I understand it's going to be quite some time before I can start charging!!

Would you say £10 offer when I start for the 1st month say and £15 after? Will clients pay much more than that? Cheers xx

Thankyou lush-lash for your words of wisdom haha!!

Totally understand I'm not going to be rich from it, it's either going to work in my area or not work. Looking to do it on evenings and weekends and day's when I'm able too!

The only thing With nouvatan that I've read is that it's golden rather than brown? Is this right as I want a more brown tan. Do your customers like it?, Bit of a silly question really. Have you always used it? And what price do you charge if you don't mind me asking?

Thinking of maybe stocking 2 different brands, ie. 1 for special occasions like brides etc. is this a good idea or shall I order the other in as I need it? Have you tried the fast tanner's are they more popular? 2 of my guinea pigs are red heads do you recommend 8 or 10%? they don't tan easily at all.

Thanks again lush lash seen many of your post's on here very helpful!! xx

Hi, I think nouvatans a more golden brown colour but it's a really nice natural looking colour & not hey look I've had a spray tan colour.

My customers love nouvatan. my sister has me spray her most weeks... She works in retail & wears short sleeved tops for work, her customers are always asking if she had a nice holiday she's like it's a spray tan & they don't believe her lol

I haven't always used nouvatan, I've trialled a good few. Including fakebake, omg, la tan, tantrick, I also used Suntana for a while but i didn't like the fade off & sometimes it could be quite orangey looking, the last one I trialled was nouvatan & I've stayed with this brand, no more changing for me.

I charge £15 but very occasionally I'll do £10 offers. I work from home at the minute but when I'm mobile I'll charge a little bit more than £15.

For a pale red head I'd use 8% to start with & you won't go wrong, but if your red head/pale client wants a little darker then bump up to 10% I personally wouldn't risk anything darker than a 10% on a pale person though. (saying that though I sprayed my sister with nouvatan 12% & she's pale, I did it because she insisted & it went a lovely colour! Not sure I'd do that on Joe public though incase they looked like they'd been tangooooed lol) x

Oooo sounds just like the one I'm looking for will get some samples ASAP!! Thanks lush lash. I had a little go of sienna X sample last night on my tanning mitt, quite like it I used 12% on my face smells gorgeous. (and no I'm not walking around with a Keith Lemon tan, the rest of my bod is tanned:) )

Do your clients seem to prefer fast tanners to normal ones? Think I'll charge around the same as you seem's reasonable unless I choose a more expensive tan.

Going to spray tan the Mr tomorrow haaaa, can't wait although he's not looking forward to it that much lol. I can see him being every colour going over the next few weeks as he'll be my main guinea pig so I can see the results every day fade off etc!! Oh yeah an I just ask what moisturisers are good for after care as I know your not supposed to wear ones with AHA's) I don't know what that is though.

Thanks again lush lash much appreciated xxx

Latest posts

Back