Newbie to eyelash extensions , need help ASAP please x

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x-blush

Reaction score
Hi everyone ! I completed my training for eyelash extensions last week and couldn't of been happier with it however I've done two sets of lashes since this and I'm feeling really disheartened and need help.

The two individuals that I did the full sets on didn't have the best eyelashes to begin with very short patchy straight ones however I've found that both the sets that I've done have appeared to me very clumpy and sort of spidery and I'm just not happy with them even tho the clients were - basically I'm trying to build a business so have offered them at an intro price while i build up speed .
I've had loads of people book in but now don't want them to look rubbish and have them thinking that's why I did them discounted because I want them to come back.

When I see pictures of other people's lashes they've done they look so full and nice how do I make them more like this ? (see pic not my work but absolutely amazing set done)
Any tips are appreciated !
Help me please xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 867
It really does take practice and patience - Keep with it and take photographs, you'll soon see a difference as each set will get better x

Buy some fake Natural lashes,and get a training head...then Its just about to practise,practice and more practice,all up to you..like that you can practice whenever you want or have time for...I'm sure after about 10 sets of these practicing application,your speed and understanding of the technique will improve a lot. Good luck,and keep your mind open for any opportunity that might come along with this amazing job;)

Do as many sets as you can and get guinea pigs with different types of lashes too. Don't be disheartened. Your picture is ok. I've seen worse being advertised at £40 a set in my area xx

As the others say it does take a bit of practice, some find it easier and some others find it more difficult to get the hang of it but you will see, soon you will be fully into it! There is quite a few students who struggle at the beginning and are ready to throw the tweezers away but practice is the key and you will soon find it easy.

I know that models with difficult lashes are not easy but once you start charging you cant choose your clients either so its a good practice and in reality most lashes are not ideal and will have some challenge for you.

Make sure you use the correct length and thickness, especially for short and sparse lashes - if your extensions are too long you will get a funny spider look as you are accentuating the lashes even further which means the lashes look thinner and the extensions stand out more. Its better to work with the clients lashes and enhance the look by making the lash line look fuller which will also help to appear longer!

Keep practicing. The picture you posted above seem lovely! Dont be worrying yourself! x

The picture she has posted is someone else's work.
She did say that and that's what she wants them to look like.
Most people struggle with isolation so see if you can get people to let you practice on their lashes.
You can use your husband, brother, anyone really. Just practise separating the lashes. You don't have to apply any lashes just isolating. At least you can get people to volunteer quite easily for that.
When I first started, I did people for free. They all gave me some money bless them and they knew I was practising.
I look back at them now and they were horrendous but they still loved them.
It is all about practice, practice and more practice.
I know everyone keeps saying it, but it's true. One day something will just suddenly click and you will speed up as you go along.
Have you got any pics of your own work so we could maybe give you some pointers?

Hey thank you all for your help so far it's really appreciated!
I know people do them and they look so good that pic is just an example of how I want them to be really full and set out individually , here's a pic of some that I have done so far - they are not good - I know that myself but only just started.
Is there anything you girlies can spot on my picture that looks like I've done wrong ? Xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 859
Ok there is too much glue and we were all guilty of doing this when we first started. Obviously there aren't enough lashes applied but you will get more on the more sets you do.
I used to limit myself to how long I would do them for as I'd get a headache!
The lashes look too close to the lash line and some lashes are stuck together, this is because there is too much glue.
Which glue are you using? Also do you wear magnifying glasses when lashing?

I'm using pro blend plus - AH Francis , I am finding that it takes ages to dry and that it means some are bonding onto the one next to them, this client had really light eyelashes so think I should of tinted first ? What are the rules with tinting first - I am a hairdresser now branching out into beauty , because the tint isn't on the skin do I still need to patch test ? Or can I just go for it ? And no didn't wear magnifying glasses , would u recommend them ? Xx

Magnifying glasses - great idea? anyone know where to get them?

Thanks

Yes always patch test for an eyelash tint. You need to have a qualification to do it though.
I never tint their lashes as you can't see them when you've put the lashes on anyway. Unless you are struggling to see the lashes because they are so fair then I don't see the point in tinting.
I'd definitely get magnifying lashes. I never lash without mine.
I get mine from Nouveau and they are a bit pricey but I had my 1st pair for 3 years and only had to replace them cos the screw came out of the arm and they fell off my face on to the floor-lol
If you are finding the glue too slow, get a quicker setting one.
I know a lot of companies say that you should stay with a slower setting one for a while but if you're ready then move on. I wish I had gone on to a quicker setting glue sooner as my times picked up a lot once I did.

I'm using pro blend plus - AH Francis , I am finding that it takes ages to dry and that it means some are bonding onto the one next to them, this client had really light eyelashes so think I should of tinted first ? What are the rules with tinting first - I am a hairdresser now branching out into beauty , because the tint isn't on the skin do I still need to patch test ? Or can I just go for it ? And no didn't wear magnifying glasses , would u recommend them ? Xx

Yes make sure u patch test, the tint goes very close to the eyes, and when taking the tint of some can go in the eye causing a very nasty reaction if no test is done, re-do patch test every 12 weeks same with brows. Id say try a few glues out on some guinea pigs and see which one u feel comfortable with and gives u the result u want, same as all the other geeks, practice makes perfect :) xx

Yes too much glue. Yyou could move down a size in diameter. When I first started, it was easier for me to work with the .15 lashes vs. the .20. They didn’t pick up as much glue and they were easier to keep separate from neighboring lashes. Now I use from a .10 to a .20 depending on the size of the natural lash. It just takes a lot of practice. I also agree with the positing about using a little faster setting glue. Remember that the glue cures with moisture. A room with low humidity can also make the glue cure at a slower rate. Don’t give up, you can do it.

Instead of dipping the extension into the glue bubble, just come at the glue bubble with the lash at a horizontal angle. Lower the base of the eyelash extension, and let the glue bubble almost rise up to meet the extension as you approach it. This will get enough glue on the back side of the extension without getting too much glue all the way around the base, which will make less stickies. Also it was mentioned to use .15 thickness to start as they are easier to attach with less stickies.

Don't give up you will get better!! We all went through this after training. I was miserable when I first began but after practicing and working on friends and taking an advance class I got better and now love to lash!
I agree you should use less adhesive. Get a good isolation on the nl before placing the extension. You can cause a lot of damage to the natural lash if you allow clumping.
.15mm thickness would be great on this particular client as she has thin short natural lashes.
I personally practiced on fake strip lashes every day for 2 weeks before I worked on my first friend. It also took me 4 hours to complete my first full set. Now it takes at most 90 min to attach an extension to every NL!
Did your trainer go over proper amount of glue use, how to pick the proper extension for each client the damaging effects of not isolating properly? If they should have!
Don't give up you will be fine!

Hi I'm just reading your post.

I currently do Hollywood lashes in my salon and I totally believe that the glue makes all the difference to help with clumping!
Do you start your lashes by doing a "frame" first then fill in all the gaps? And ..
Do you also dry them using a device that allows you to blow a small amount of air after every eyelash applied?
All these make a difference to stop your lashes from clumping.
But also don't panic! It will take more than two sets before you get your perfect set! It just takes a lot of time and patience! But when you get that perfect set it will feel great!
I think it took me a lot more than 10 sets before I got them perfect!

If anyone was doing lashes like this straight out of training - in my opinion, you werent trained properly. You cant learn all you need to know about eyeash extensions in a one day course!

You need to make sure you are isolating properly and use less glue for sure. Place the lash and if there is still too much glue, keep it isolated and use a micro brush to soak up the excess glue.

Get a faster drying glue straight away - I personally think its harder to practice on a glue that takes forever to dry.

A lot of people dont practice on people they want as clients in the future. Just do them for free or a small fee to cover costs and do family and friends and then when you are more confident and have them looking good - start marketing yourself an offering a cheap start up deal.

Latest posts

Back