Newly qualified and opening up a business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMK

Reaction score
I have started a beauty course in the evenings. Our class is around 12 people and 3/4 of us want to start a business when we are all qualified. Do you know anyone newly qualified who has opened up a salon? I know just one lady who has a salon is a lady who began beauty much later in life and had alot of life experience before hand. I'd like to be optimistic, but am wondering if it's realistic to aim for this once qualified?

I have started a beauty course in the evenings. Our class is around 12 people and 3/4 of us want to start a business when we are all qualified. Do you know anyone newly qualified who has opened up a salon? I know just one lady who has a salon is a lady who began beauty much later in life and had alot of life experience before hand. I'd like to be optimistic, but am wondering if it's realistic to aim for this once qualified?

Practice, practice and practice. Then practise some more.

Training in college then passing your exams does not make you a great therapist. I've learnt MORE about nail prep by reading stuff on here than I had in a year at college. In fact in college, if the nail was dry the tutor would yell at us!

Once you are fully qualified, you still have to stay abreast with what's going on in the areas of services you provide.

For example, when I qualified in eye treatments, semi-permanent mascara didn't exist. I found out about it because my ear was to the ground, I try to get to Trade Shows etc

I would consider some business course even if it's a day one run by the Tax Office.

Use Business Link and be aware of what is offered in terms of help and advice for various age groups by your local council.

Don't rush in is all I'm saying.

H x

I personally found working in a salon invaluable and i would really recommend it before starting up on your own...even if just for 6-12 months.

You don't realise until then, how little you actually know on a practical level.

It would be a great base for you to learn how to work quickly and efficiently, what kind of things you would need in your own salon, what you like and dislike, booking systems, client management and quite a few quick fixes and trouble solving tips.

I know it can be difficult getting into a salon job, but i really would try if at all possible.

I started doing work experience, then i switched to a salon that wanted a receptionist and wanted to nurture me by letting me practice on the other therapists and watch their treatments, moved to part time work in the treatments i was qualified in and then full time, afterwhich i started renting a room on my own.

There were 28 girls that started when i did in two classes, 8 had dropped out by the time we finished first year and only a few of us still wanted to do beauty at the end of it all, so i wonder of you classmates will still want this later on.

I think you are doing really well to get all the information ahead of you before you get started and the hmrc courses for new, sole traders and business owners are free and a great start for you.

Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back