No sink/water in treatment room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrymarie

Reaction score
Ok so im looking at renting my room in a hair dressers, they need to 'build it' (put a partition with a door in). i was near enough set to go and really excited, however, i've just spoke to the owner and they can't put a sink or running water in the room because of pipe troubles. This means i would have to get a big bowl of water to take in the room before treatments and use sponges to remove makeup for facials etc.

What do you think of this? It's not professional and reminds me of being at college as this is what we did, but it would still work?!

How would you feel if it was you working in the room, or being a client in the room?

I do have running water in my treatment room but I rarely get up and use the sink as I have everything ready to hand at the start of the treatment. Would you have to go far to get water if you did need it? What about one of those thermos type jugs for warm water?

Why don't you go through each treatment you do in your head and decide whether you need water or not. Are there any alternatives in some cases? To remove products during a facial, pedicure etc I use hot towels that are heated in a special towel heater - that would do away with the need for water for sponges.

Hope you find a way round it!

I have a rather lovely beauty and tanning studio at the bottom of my garden and i too don't have water! When i need water for a pedi or mani for example, i just run down the garden path to the french doors which lead into my kitchen and get water - several times i've sloshed it nearly all over me on my way back up to the studio! For facials i have a pretty cut glass jug already filled up ready to use and i also have a steamer. I was wondering about a sort of "urn" thing that you could plug in rather like you might find at catering events to make teas and coffees! Any ideas?!

thanks guys!! this has made me feel a lot better :)

I don't think the sink is a problem but you do mention that they are building you a partition for the beauty room.
Please let me give you the benefit of my experience - I've had a room in a hairdressers built for me recently, no sound proof and right off of the back of the hairdressers and I'm experiencing a real problem with the noise, hairdryers are loud and people talking over them are even louder!! I did a facial for the first time Friday and it was embarassing, I don't think there is anyway I can do facials or massage in that room.

Just thought I would let you know what I am experiencing as it really is something to consider.

I rent a beauty room & dont have running water in the room but have a shower room behind so I get my water from there which I fill up with a large jug then pour into facial/pedicure bowl.

I have rented a room before which didnt have any running water & it was not a problem at all.

You can either get water before the treatment or tell you client to get unchanged/ up on the couch, then whilst you leave her, get your water then take in in when you start the treatment.

A little tip that I do for eyelash/brow tint removal, is pre-dampen lots of cotton pads, then put them in a circle tub with a lid, then that way I have enough already done for that day, sometimes a few days, & the pads stay damp as the pot is airtight.
Regarding washing your hands, I have a tub of ani-bac gel.

Dont let this issue, put you off, it is a totally workable situation, you just need to be as organised as you can. However, maybe you can try & work on knocking the rent down a little for this inconvience :wink2:

I dont think clients would really notice the lack of a sink to be honest with you.

A hot towel caddy is a great idea, you can also keep a bowl of water warm in it or pre-warm massage oil etc, a very handy gadget!! x

My old salon never used there sink in the room, just at the start of the treatment tell them that you will have to get fresh water, I had treatments where the lady had to leave and get water.

Iv just now built my beauty room and it has no sink in it....i don't find it much of a problem x

I don't think the sink is a problem but you do mention that they are building you a partition for the beauty room.
Please let me give you the benefit of my experience - I've had a room in a hairdressers built for me recently, no sound proof and right off of the back of the hairdressers and I'm experiencing a real problem with the noise, hairdryers are loud and people talking over them are even louder!! I did a facial for the first time Friday and it was embarassing, I don't think there is anyway I can do facials or massage in that room.

Just thought I would let you know what I am experiencing as it really is something to consider.
oh i see! i never really thought of that! oops!! so how are you going to deal with that? Not do facials/massage?

oh i see! i never really thought of that! oops!! so how are you going to deal with that? Not do facials/massage?

Honestly - I really don't know, I love the people I work with (the stylists)but I'm never going to be able to offer the level of service I feel my clients deserve.

Beauty in this present climate is a discretionary spend and people want to feel relaxed and pampered, thats not going to happen in the room I have so unfortunately I'm going to have to find somewhere more appropriate.:cry:

hmm, i've decided to still go with my room as i feel its a good starting point, however, i might only offer mani/pedi, waxing and brow/lash tinting to start with, because they're not required to be so relaxing such as facials and massages. however, i love facials and massages, they're my fav treatments to do, so im a bit stuck too! :(

These are exactly my thoughts to.

When I rented in a hair salon my room was actually in the building next door and accessed by a door between them and even with the door shut there was always background noise so I practically had my music on full blast. I also felt I had to charge less than my competitors due to the noise. As Carla said above it is embarrassing, there is only so loud you can have your music to block out the noise.

I did have one client once who stopped coming to me after I moved to this salon as she just couldn't bear the constant hairdryers, laughing, screeching etc from the hair salon.

I was approached to rent a room in a salon that like yours would be having a custom built treatment room built within the existing shop but the cost of sound proofing a room was mega bucks and I knew I already had problems with a proper brick wall let alone a flimsy partition wall so I never took it any further.

If you want to do facials and massage longterm then I would say get another room. Another issue is clients do not like stepping out of a room onto a busy salon floor with no make up on and oil in their hair.

This makes I interesting reading as I to will not have running water but will have the use of communal kitchen. I will probably use some sort of urn type thing but in no rush as I will be just offering extensions, manicure, pedicure Minx & spray tans until my daughter is in full time school in september. X

Just read this post....have you thought about using sound-proofed plaster board? It's not overly expensive and might fix your problem before it's even begun if you see what I mean?

I too rented a room in a hairdressing salon and it was very noisy...especially as we were parked right next to the toilet!

yeah thats a good idea, i've never thought of this, i'll look into it! :)

Yes, take a look. My Brother in Law renovates houses for a living and he's used it for partition walls in houses before and it's worked brilliantly.

HTH

xx

Ok so im looking at renting my room in a hair dressers, they need to 'build it' (put a partition with a door in). i was near enough set to go and really excited, however, i've just spoke to the owner and they can't put a sink or running water in the room because of pipe troubles. This means i would have to get a big bowl of water to take in the room before treatments and use sponges to remove makeup for facials etc.

What do you think of this? It's not professional and reminds me of being at college as this is what we did, but it would still work?!

How would you feel if it was you working in the room, or being a client in the room?

Hi, I rent a room in a hair salon and don't have a sink. I prepare everything before hand and remove it after client has left. Never had a problem. HTH.:| x

Latest posts

Back