No soak gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnalm

Reaction score
Hiya,
I have a client due in today whos had her nails done elsewhere and is wanting them removed and re-done. Shes told me she has gel polish on but 2 fingers have had a tip applied (im guessing a gel overlay to hold this then) but she wrote to me asking whay method we use to remove the gel and I have told her we soak it off, she's replied saying that the type she has cannot be soaked it has to be filed off.

I thought any nail products can be soaked off? Has anyone heard of this?

Hiya,
I have a client due in today whos had her nails done elsewhere and is wanting them removed and re-done. Shes told me she has gel polish on but 2 fingers have had a tip applied (im guessing a gel overlay to hold this then) but she wrote to me asking whay method we use to remove the gel and I have told her we soak it off, she's replied saying that the type she has cannot be soaked it has to be filed off.

I thought any nail products can be soaked off? Has anyone heard of this?

There are “soft gels” which can be soaked off, and “hard gels” which need to be filed off.

Did you cover not cover the differences in your training?

Either way, if she’s had her nails done at a discount salon, then I’d suggest whatever it is, it’ll more than likely need to be filed off.

There are “soft gels” which can be soaked off, and “hard gels” which need to be filed off.

Did you cover not cover the differences in your training?

Either way, if she’s had her nails done at a discount salon, then I’d suggest whatever it is, it’ll more than likely need to be filed off.
We were told to file off the top layer then soak the rest for any application

We were told to file off the top layer then soak the rest for any application

Thats for hard gel topcoat over either gel polish or soak off gel. It's rare to find a soak off Gel strong enough to create extensions, they tend to be too soft, hence the term 'hard gels'. Most builder gels are file off

It's a hard gel, actually most builder gels are file off only. A soak off gel would generally not create a strong enough enhancement for longer extensions.

Some soak-off gels are available to create long extensions - but they are rare.

It wont take much filing. Use a 100 grit

Soak the gel polish off first.

Funnily enough i was going to create a post to ask about this, as i havent dont it before my daughter has been experimenting with fake nails applied from Poundland but they are uncomfortable for her so i was thinking if there was a way to get the length but without putting hard gel or acrylic on her,

I thought of tips and soft gel?.... only problem is not getting the connection line.... they would only need to last 2 week's and be short squoval as she has bitten down nails at the moment...

How would I make them smooth??? Filing the false tip will make it really weak and the soft gel are to thin to cover it?

Funnily enough i was going to create a post to ask about this, as i havent dont it before my daughter has been experimenting with fake nails applied from Poundland but they are uncomfortable for her so i was thinking if there was a way to get the length but without putting hard gel or acrylic on her,

I thought of tips and soft gel?.... only problem is not getting the connection line.... they would only need to last 2 week's and be short squoval as she has bitten down nails at the moment...

How would I make them smooth??? Filing the false tip will make it really weak and the soft gel are to thin to cover it?

A majority of my customers are/were nail biters and to get a nice enhancement that looks nice and natural I use forms and make sure to cut the corners of the forms to make them fit the fingers because biters often have swollen skin around their tiny nail plate. If she's an extreme nail biter even a good set of gel/acrylic/acrylgel enhancements will only last 2-3 weeks anyway (and would need an infill around this time) because of the bad conditions of their nails. Incidentally acrylgel is a good alternative for a nail biter if you were on the lookout for something new.
I'm also unsure what you mean with the false tip becoming weak? It's not like the tip is supposed to add any strength whatsoever, so it should be as thin as possible.

A majority of my customers are/were nail biters and to get a nice enhancement that looks nice and natural I use forms and make sure to cut the corners of the forms to make them fit the fingers because biters often have swollen skin around their tiny nail plate. If she's an extreme nail biter even a good set of gel/acrylic/acrylgel enhancements will only last 2-3 weeks anyway (and would need an infill around this time) because of the bad conditions of their nails. Incidentally acrylgel is a good alternative for a nail biter if you were on the lookout for something new.
I'm also unsure what you mean with the false tip becoming weak? It's not like the tip is supposed to add any strength whatsoever, so it should be as thin as possible.
Oh no I was thinking if I filled the tip on the nail to thin it out it would just fall off as there would be hardly anything holding it on that's what I meant by becoming weak,

Thank you I am trained in gels and ASP quick dip but I will be looking at a sculpting course this coming year as I am intrested in that :)

What is the acrylgel that you mentioned??

Relatively new in the industry :)

I was recommended a new client once & she called & booked an appointment just after her annual holiday to the States.
She’d had a type of gel polish put on out there & whatever it was it was completely Acetone resistant!!
It took me ages to get it all off, by filing in the end & I was curling my toes thinking how bad it was for the natural nail underneath

I’ve also heard of a local salon that is run by Thai nail tech’s & they use a type of acrylic that is resistant to Acetone & has to be filed off
Not good for the nail underneath!

They wouldn’t last 2 weeks and could be painful if she caught one and it ripped off.

She’s be best going to another tech to get extensions properly applied until there was enough new growth to have them removed then you could apply gel polish for her

They wouldn’t last 2 weeks and could be painful if she caught one and it ripped off.

She’s be best going to another tech to get extensions properly applied until there was enough new growth to have them removed then you could apply gel polish for her

I am looking into sculpting gel courses reading though the posts on here to see which one would be good for me to go on this year :)

I am looking into sculpting gel courses reading though the posts on here to see which one would be good for me to go on this year :)

That’s great. I’ve been looking into courses too over the past few days.
The Nail Team have an offer on for Jan and Feb with buy 2 get one free so it’s worth shopping around. I just can’t decide [emoji85]

That’s great. I’ve been looking into courses too over the past few days.
The Nail Team have an offer on for Jan and Feb with buy 2 get one free so it’s worth shopping around. I just can’t decide [emoji85]

I’m amazed you even considered starting a gel course ciderella!! I thought you were a die hard acrylics fan!!

I’m amazed you even considered starting a gel course ciderella!! I thought you were a die hard acrylics fan!!

Oh I am, it’s nail art and shaping I’m looking at [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back