Non paying client what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancashirelass

Reaction score
I work from a small studio in my home. I noticed on my mobile at 20:45pm at night that I had four missed calls from a client. As I was just scrolling through my mobile my client rang and I answered, she was really upset and informed me that she had been swimming and her hair extensions had matted and that she could not do anything with them, she had had them fitted 6 weeks previously with no problems whatsoever. She informed me that she had been swimming and that she had come home after swimming and then decided to wash her hair but somehow matting had occured. I advised her what to do but she said that she could not do anything with them and it was hard to describe over the phone to me what she meant by matting. She asked me if I could look at them immediately and I informed her to come down straigh away to my home. She arrived at 21:20pm, I have only ever seen matting once before like this and it was on a wig. There was nothing that could be salvaged apart from taking them out, my clients hair was wet and she had soaked her hair extensions in conditioner but the hair extensions where just like a matted up ball which was on the back of her neck and her own hair was matted in the hair extensions aswell. I did manage to remove all the hair extensions and the client was warned that some of her own hair underneath could end up with shorter lengths as I had to cut through the matted ball.
It took me an hour to get all the hair extensions out and she ended up with ten shorter strands at the back of her hair but underneath and they could not be seen. My client did have residue left from the adhesive but decided that she wanted to remove this herself. She could not thank me enough and at 10:30pm she left my home. I did not think at that appropriate time as she was that upset to ask for payment. So the morning after I did text her and remind her that my charge for the hour needed to be paid and that she could either send me a cheque through the post or drop the money off at my home. She informed me that she would post a cheque to me, two days later I recieved a text asking for my bank details and she would pay it into my bank. Its now three weeks later and I have still not received payment even after texting her about four times. I have tried to ring a few times but have never got any answer.

I now need to know what my next step would be or what you would do in this situation.

Cheers

I work from a small studio in my home. I noticed on my mobile at 20:45pm at night that I had four missed calls from a client. As I was just scrolling through my mobile my client rang and I answered, she was really upset and informed me that she had been swimming and her hair extensions had matted and that she could not do anything with them, she had had them fitted 6 weeks previously with no problems whatsoever. She informed me that she had been swimming and that she had come home after swimming and then decided to wash her hair but somehow matting had occured. I advised her what to do but she said that she could not do anything with them and it was hard to describe over the phone to me what she meant by matting. She asked me if I could look at them immediately and I informed her to come down straigh away to my home. She arrived at 21:20pm, I have only ever seen matting once before like this and it was on a wig. There was nothing that could be salvaged apart from taking them out, my clients hair was wet and she had soaked her hair extensions in conditioner but the hair extensions where just like a matted up ball which was on the back of her neck and her own hair was matted in the hair extensions aswell. I did manage to remove all the hair extensions and the client was warned that some of her own hair underneath could end up with shorter lengths as I had to cut through the matted ball.
It took me an hour to get all the hair extensions out and she ended up with ten shorter strands at the back of her hair but underneath and they could not be seen. My client did have residue left from the adhesive but decided that she wanted to remove this herself. She could not thank me enough and at 10:30pm she left my home. I did not think at that appropriate time as she was that upset to ask for payment. So the morning after I did text her and remind her that my charge for the hour needed to be paid and that she could either send me a cheque through the post or drop the money off at my home. She informed me that she would post a cheque to me, two days later I recieved a text asking for my bank details and she would pay it into my bank. Its now three weeks later and I have still not received payment even after texting her about four times. I have tried to ring a few times but have never got any answer.

I now need to know what my next step would be or what you would do in this situation.

Cheers

Hand deliver to her face a written demand for money she owes, then after a few days if she hasn't paid up ring her and say you will be passing the dept onto "your friend" who runs a dept collection agency 9 times out of 10 the threat of this will make them coff up...

how the heck had they got matted and in such a bad way just from swimming? :eek:

i've had them for a few years and used to go swimming every week, but never had any probs with them.

as for getting the money she owes you, i would do what the poster above suggested.

jue x

Hi, Lancashirelass, what brand of hair was it ?
Because all the hair that you use is only ever top quality stuff
and has never ever had any problems of this kind at all.

It really does sounds like a manufactures problem,
I have seen quite a few heads of hair that went like this
especially one certain brand , that I wont mention :green:

(it actually interlocks ) like a matted fur ball stuck to an animals coat
if you know what I mean just like ones that you have to cut off ,

It definitely sound like she has been unfortunate enough to have had a bad batch of hair put in, and they should be sent back to the manufactures, preferably by the extensionist with a covering letter ,
if they are a reputable company they should help sort things out .

If you only applied this hair for her ?
and she proivided her own hair which had nothing to do with you at all ?

Then She should have way have covered all your costs for your time and services , as the hair matting problem would have had nothing to do with you at all ,
and you should not be out of pocket ,

Do you think she may have put on a rubber swimming cap
or the chlorine has reacted with something ?
perhaps she coloured it and then went swimming who knows what type of reaction chlorine can do to different types of processed coloured hair

it is is a mystery
let us know how you get on ,
the letter sounds agood idea ,

but in future state clearly the biggest full price beforehand that it could possibly be
then you can always reduce the amount due to the amount of work it needed :hug:
especially with people like this , :hug:

She's pulling a fast one.

I've had this myself on one occasion and regardless of texts and calls, she still ignored me. I think sometimes you need to write it off and simply learn from your mistake. It's a crap lesson but unfortunately, short of turning up at her door there isn't a lot that you can do.

As you are talking about an hour of your time, I would suggest that you keep trying her and maybe threaten to take the matter further. If you have no joy from this I think you need to move on. I know, it's appalling!!

For us it was £75. She paid us by cheque and the cheque bounced. She texted saying she would send it and that was the last we ever heard from her. We had no intention of taking things further as it's too much time and effort so now we just take precautions. Just learn from it and ALWAYS ask for payment.

As for the matting, it's my belief that hair extensions can suffer with chlorine. It's not so much the hair itself as the bonding. With natural hair you can comb through it but with extensions it's far trickier. As a result, if left to dry they will become matted. It's her own fault but be sure to mention to clients that swimming can be hazardous if the extensions aren't cared for properly. We actually have this on our aftercare leaflet!

Most people are fine with it but I suspect she tied her hair into a bun which made it knot. You're always safer with a plait when swimming!

I wish you the best of luck. In the words of Catherine Tate's Nana, 'F***** liberties....'
:cry::cry:

Latest posts

Back