Non professionals

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayneBow

Reaction score
I don't want to start a thread that's going to offend people or start an argument, but I have to say I feel like I can't ask questions on here. When any other non hairdressers for example, ask a question, they are immediately asked if they are trained. I fully understand not giving colour advice to someone not trained to do it on a client, but I feel some responses are very sharp and can be quite mean. I'm fully trained to do beauty and nails, NVQ not short courses, but I don't go onto the nail boards and refuse to help because they aren't "properly trained". I trained recently to do hair extensions. At one of those short courses mentioned and bitched about so often. The training is no where near college level, but I'm not stupid, I know about contra indications and skin diseases that also affect the scalp, so I know some of what I'm looking for when deciding to go ahead or not, and I'm fully insured. I feel these companies wouldn't insure me if I was a danger to the public? I thought this was a friendly forum where people could genuinely ask for advice and help. I fear being judged very quickly if I show any doubts in what I do so what's the point? My clients all know that I cannot cut and style their hair, and that they will need to go to their regular stylist to do this. So what is offending some hairdressers so much?

I don't want to start a thread that's going to offend people or start an argument, but I have to say I feel like I can't ask questions on here. When any other non hairdressers for example, ask a question, they are immediately asked if they are trained. I fully understand not giving colour advice to someone not trained to do it on a client, but I feel some responses are very sharp and can be quite mean. I'm fully trained to do beauty and nails, NVQ not short courses, but I don't go onto the nail boards and refuse to help because they aren't "properly trained". I trained recently to do hair extensions. At one of those short courses mentioned and bitched about so often. The training is no where near college level, but I'm not stupid, I know about contra indications and skin diseases that also affect the scalp, so I know some of what I'm looking for when deciding to go ahead or not, and I'm fully insured. I feel these companies wouldn't insure me if I was a danger to the public? I thought this was a friendly forum where people could genuinely ask for advice and help. I fear being judged very quickly if I show any doubts in what I do so what's the point? My clients all know that I cannot cut and style their hair, and that they will need to go to their regular stylist to do this. So what is offending some hairdressers so much?

Generally the thing that offends is that people do one day courses, tick that they are a hair pro, then ask the same questions over and over again.
There are plenty of people on this forum who only apply hair ext, and no other hair services, and are probably really happy to answer any questions you have. Where it becomes an issue is when people stray into territory not covered in a short ext course, such as cutting or colouring, and that does happen a lot.

So you mean, someone only trained to do extensions, asks for colouring advice? Meaning they have no insurance etc? X

So you mean, someone only trained to do extensions, asks for colouring advice? Meaning they have no insurance etc? X

Correct.

Then getting cross cos nobody will tell them what to buy from Sally's usually.

Ok we'll that I guess I understand. I have been reading a few threads, and apparently this is not a new topic. A few people also feel the same way. I agree with not telling someone something who was not qualified and working on a paying client. I wouldn't tell someone what eyelash glue to use for example. The word bully is being thrown around, and I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. Just hoping to get people to not jump to conclusions quickly :) x

I think hairdressers have every right to be offended.

Hair extensions courses teach you very little compared to what you learn on an nvq. Hair extension courses don't make you a hairdresser and you shouldn't offer services that a hair dresser does. Personally, I don't think you should be allowed to offer hair extensions unless you are a fully qualified hair dresser but that's another thread entirely.

I get quite annoyed reading hair threads from non hair pros who ask for colouring and cutting advice. They are not hairdressers so should not be providing services that a hairdresser does. I also think we get quite snippy with non pros as they think its as easy and slapping a colour on and chopping at hair so why shouldn't people who post on here Be questioned as to whether they are a pro or not. After all this forum is for qualified people. Xxx

I am not a hairdresser but hold an NVQ Level 3 in hair extensions. Do you still think i shouldn't be allowed to fit hair extensions? Not trying to argue here, just want to get the point across that not all extensionists have done a one day course and have no understanding of hair.

Yes I think If you aren't a trained hairdresser then you shouldn't be allowed to offer extensions. That's my opinion.

I am not a hairdresser but hold an NVQ Level 3 in hair extensions. Do you still think i shouldn't be allowed to fit hair extensions? Not trying to argue here, just want to get the point across that not all extensionists have done a one day course and have no understanding of hair.

NVQ level 3 award - there's a big difference between an NVQ level 3 and an NVQ Level 3 award.

One is a unit, one is a qualification. I teach them.

As part of the award though you would need to learn cutting, but what about the consultation units, shampooing, conditioning etc? The exam for consultations is pretty indepth.

The NVQ Awards were originally designed for already qualified hairdressers to explore additional areas that they might not have trained in, not people to simply fast-track their way past all of the underlying knowledge usually required. To most of us we wouldn't see you as a pro. Sorry, but I honestly think that's how it probably is.

I've always seen extension as an advanced form of hairdressing,

there is a small percentage of non hair pro expansionists out there who are amazing at what they do but there is a big percentage of people doing extensions that could not give 2 hoots about there clients hair or how it looks and are in it cash,

I have also seen some horrendous extension work for hair pro's too ,

i think as long as you give it 100% all the time and get your skills to a respectable standard before you go onto the paying public and if you can't do this then don't do the service this go's for all hair and beauty, for some its just not meant to be in this industry :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

I don't think you should have hair pro on your profile if you only do and know about extensions!

I don't think you should have hair pro on your profile if you only do and know about extensions!

You talking to me? If you are, I have not stated I'm a hair "pro" I just ticked the hair box when making my profile. I'm pretty sure it just says hair too.

You talking to me? If you are, I have not stated I'm a hair "pro" I just ticked the hair box when making my profile. I'm pretty sure it just says hair too.
Hair, Nail, Beauty, Waxing, Makeup, Brow & Lash professional

[QUOTE=Nails
Agrees fully.
I've had to fix too many people's hair after it has been "blended" by razoring into nothingness, resulting in the main reason for extensions to give length while their own hair grows completely pointless and they are back to square one again.

On the matter of non pro's, the products used are too dangerous for anyone with no clue to use and I would like to see shops banned from selling colours not for my personal gain but for the safety of the shopper. X

I've always seen extension as an advanced form of hairdressing,

there is a small percentage of non hair pro expansionists out there who are amazing at what they do but there is a big percentage of people doing extensions that could not give 2 hoots about there clients hair or how it looks and are in it cash,

I have also seen some horrendous extension work for hair pro's too ,

i think as long as you give it 100% all the time and get your skills to a respectable standard before you go onto the paying public and if you can't do this then don't do the service this go's for all hair and beauty, for some its just not meant to be in this industry :-D

Totally agree well said. Too many people are thinking its just a quick way to make cash, and do not care about aftercare or standards. I am not one of those people. I intend to train to do hairdressing properly when I am in a better financial position as I do feel as a hairdresser you can offer a better service and can advise better too. But if there are others like me with small children, it's not always that easy. I'm having to do things backwards. Make some money doing extensions to pay for the course! I don't care that hairdressers don't think I should be trading. I'm qualified, insured and give a good service. I look after my clients, am thorough with consultation and aftercare. There are non pros out there that have given the rest of us a bad name. I've heard my fair share of horror stories! Do all if the people who think we shouldn't be able to do the extensions agree with the following?
Non doctors should not do Botox
Non dentists should not do teeth whitening
Non midwives should not deliver babies
Non qualifiers should not do support work
.If we stopped everyone from doing these things, people would never learn another trade. It's hard enough getting a normal job these days. Never mind spending £500 on a "one day" course to help you make some cash. Only to be told its not good enough

Just to reiterate , I agree with the colour products only being sold to a qualified professional

Nails Agrees fully. I've had to fix too many people's hair after it has been "blended" by razoring into nothingness said:
When are you getting that petitions on the go I will sign it, how many signatures do you think it would take to make parliament to take notice :-D

Then maybe Salon Geek should add another option?

There should defiantly be a hair extension section :-D

RayneBow said:
Do all if the people who think we shouldn't be able to do the extensions agree with the following?
Non doctors should not do Botox
Non dentists should not do teeth whitening
Non midwives should not deliver babies
Non qualifiers should not do support work
.If we stopped everyone from doing these things, people would never learn another trade.
I completely agree with what I have quoted above, Botox is an invasive procedure in that it breaks the skin, and actually is a prescription only toxin meaning a doctor originally had to sign to allow it to be released. I may be lucky that my doctor can do Botox, but I wouldn't risk my face by having someone other than a doctor or nurse use it in me. When I decide its needed for me, then I will pay the extra for the product to be prescribed by the adminsterer.
There is something going on with whitening at the minute that is about only dentists being allowed to do it. Yes you can have false teeth, but myself I would prefer to keep my own and keep them pain free, not possible by someone who's done a day or 2 course, years is needed for dentistry, and it takes more than 2 days for them to fully learn whitening so how can someone without a clue on the subject learn what's needed in just a day?
With midwifery I don't know a lot, but when you have lost someone who should be a member of your family now because of a person who was meant to look after the mother to be and didn't do their job properly then you would agree that only midwifes should be delivering baby's.
I know a few trained and registered support workers, and how they do their job is beyond me. They are psychologists, therapists, council assistants, friends and anything else the person being supported may need them to be.

Sorry if you feel I shouldn't e agreeing, but I do feel people train in something for the good of that industry and each of the above are spoiled by people who don't take time to learn it all. X

Latest posts

Back