Nothing lasts on hairdresser's nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie28

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if there is anything I can try to help Gel last on one of the hairdressers I work with?

I have done her nails 3 times now and none have lasted past a few days. First was IBD Just Gel overlay, Second was Hard Gel Extensions and the third was painting gel polish over her current acrylics.

I have no problems with anyone else and people last at least 2-3 weeks (some up to 5!) with no lifting, chipping or coming off at all.

She is very busy and has her hands in water, chemicals, hair dye, bleach etc all the time. BUT the bad thing is, that she always used to go to the local NSS Salon and they always stay on her. I have explained how bad they are and even shown her photos of what they can do. Yes they may stay on, but it is at a cause.

What can I do to help the ones I do last like the NSS ones, but without harming her nails?
Thanks in advance :)

im a hairdresser and my l and p nails never come off!! and im terrible for not wearing gloves!! i usually hav gelish or shellac over mine too and never hav a problem!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Im also a hairdresser and do gelish and wraps ,used to have cnd acrylic but would have to get a rebalance every 2 weeks because thay would lift so much ,my nail only stay on well if im in holiday ,i get about 10 -12 days out of gelish or wraps ,i have really thin bendy nail always have had :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I think it doesn't help that her nails are crap now from going to the NSS. Just not sure what else i can do to stop them coming off??

I do hair amongst other treatments and wear shellac, I now have two thin top coats and never chips x

I tried and tried to keep ACG on my hairdresser , no avail , however when we were doing art and it needed another thin layer of topcoat , wa-la they stayed on until I took them off , so tried this whenever I did her regular ACG and they stay on , maybe it's me doing setting but it works ! X

My son's girlfriend is a hairdressing student and I use Shellac on her with two top coats. She usually gets 10-14 days.

Karaxxx

I tried and tried to keep ACG on my hairdresser , no avail , however when we were doing art and it needed another thin layer of topcoat , wa-la they stayed on until I took them off , so tried this whenever I did her regular ACG and they stay on , maybe it's me doing setting but it works ! X

One of my models tonight is a hairdresser.

I've told her to wear gloves, but the two top coats sounds like a good idea I'm gonna try that one. x

One of my models tonight is a hairdresser.

I've told her to wear gloves, but the two top coats sounds like a good idea I'm gonna try that one. x

It works for me :) as long as the 2 coats aren't too thick :) x

Hi, one of my hair dressers nails were very damaged and acrylic kept lifting off! Unfortunatly there is no quick fix solution as you need to let her nails repair from the damage! I've been doing my girls now since April and now they last for weeks! Sometimes with a shellac top coat x

How about the brisa lite under shellac? X

Hair dresser must have their nails done at the end if a couple of days off... This will solve most of your problems

Water absorbs nearly 100 times faster into nail plates. They absorb it and swell. Then when it rapidly evaporates 24-48 hours later they shrink back to normal shape and size.

Any product applied while swollen sets to this shape. When the nail shrinks away the product overlay does not. Hence it doesn't lift... The nail itself retracts.

The reason nss nails don't suffer this?

If you file the top 30-40% off the nail (as they frequently do. You are no longer dealing with the swollen plate. You are adhereing to a shredded and soft inner nail layer that will allow a strong adhesion at the expense of the nails health...

If you search you will find many threads agreeing with the above principals

Hths

I work within a hairdressers and on one shellac lasts 2 weeks and an the other she can get 10-14 days so I have applied brisa lite smoothing and x2 rock royalty so will keep you up dated in the progress!

Hi I'm a hairdresser and use gelish I never have a problem with it, but I do change my colour every 7 to 10 days as I get fed up with it x

I do my nieces nails who too is a hairdresser and she comes every 2 weeks for a new colour as she gets fed up lol but gelish is intact
HTH xx

my hairdresser had shellac on for weeks...

The girls in the hair salon where I rent my table all have gelish or shellac & it lasts 2-3 weeks with no problems x

Hair dresser must have their nails done at the end if a couple of days off... This will solve most of your problems

Water absorbs nearly 100 times faster into nail plates. They absorb it and swell. Then when it rapidly evaporates 24-48 hours later they shrink back to normal shape and size.

Any product applied while swollen sets to this shape. When the nail shrinks away the product overlay does not. Hence it doesn't lift... The nail itself retracts.

The reason nss nails don't suffer this?

If you file the top 30-40% off the nail (as they frequently do. You are no longer dealing with the swollen plate. You are adhereing to a shredded and soft inner nail layer that will allow a strong adhesion at the expense of the nails health...

If you search you will find many threads agreeing with the above principals

Hths

Thank you everyone for your advice. Especially the above! I will have to try it when she has been off a couple of days and see if it helps. I will also try the 2 top coats that a few suggested.
I use IBD and Shellac and at some point I want to get the new Brisa Lite, so will see if that helps too.

Thanks guys :)

I do my sisters nails she's a hairdresser and when not at work she's always do hair somewhere, she has l&p and no problems with them coming off or lifting :) xx

Latest posts

Back