Nowadays everybody is a 'nail artist' but what is the true meaning to you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy_princess

Reaction score
for the past couple of years the increase of people doing nail art is quite impressive, but to me the exclusivity has been taken out of it. i remember browsing through top shop last week where i found nail art brushes, dotting tools, gem wheels, caviar, feathers etc. Has it gone a bit too far? come on, nail art brushes in Topshop? Sounds like another money making scheme to me, whereas you can really tell who the true nail artists are. not to mention business might become more difficult for nail technicians (ive seen people get enhancements at salons but ask for no nail art so they can do it themselves) :L

for the past couple of years the increase of people doing nail art is quite impressive, but to me the exclusivity has been taken out of it. i remember browsing through top shop last week where i found nail art brushes, dotting tools, gem wheels, caviar, feathers etc. Has it gone a bit too far? come on, nail art brushes in Topshop? Sounds like another money making scheme to me, whereas you can really tell who the true nail artists are. not to mention business might become more difficult for nail technicians (ive seen people get enhancements at salons but ask for no nail art so they can do it themselves) :L

Not much is exclusive and this will always happen when there are trends. Best off becoming a professional nail artist by attending courses etc, then the work will look much better than home done stuff and people will pay.
Supermarkets started selling clothes maybe Top Shop aren't happy about that but people are buying from there. No one likes competition but thats business, it will always be tough but you have to keep professional with high quality work. People grumble about salons e filing natural nails etc but many keep going! That's why they are still there.
If everyone boycotted them they would have no business to run.

As much as I love youtube and use it daily, I think sites like that don't help with the exclusivity of it all too. Nothing is left to the imagination anymore, you can just bang it into a search engine..and voila! All the kit and 'how to' is there for you. Im new to nails but I have noticed a lot of shops now selling a lot of nail art stuff. But, does it really last when they do it themselves?
I doubt it.

Funny, our next door neighbour asked to borrow a soldering iron other day. Hubby gave it him, and neighbour was like 'huh, how do I use it'?
My husbands reply....?

YOUTUBE IT!
Hahaha, it did make me giggle.....

To me a true 'nail artist' is someone who can create beautiful natural looking nails, that are balanced perfectly so you can't tell they're not real. Some nail art is truly beautiful and artistic but when created on an ugly nail...what's the point?! We see so many pics on social media that are just horrific despite the 'art' on top.

I enjoy doing nail art but much prefer creating the nail and would prefer to be known for that skill. And as for people doing their own nail art...well it's a form of creativity and people by following a trend have simply found a new canvas on which to express themselves and I have no problem with that, especially if it means they need a tech to provide the perfect nail on which to paint 😊 x

I new and training gel and nail art I started with home kits over a year ago and people liked what I did and I love what I do it hasn't fizzled out I only wanna learn more but I think I'm one of a few I reckon to most that try it probably won't have the patience and will give it up as a bad job :) I can but hope any way lol x

The topshop brushes are rubbish anyway, my friend bought some and the brush handle fell off xx

There will be a difference in professional quality nail art brushes and probably those sold at Top Shop. Better quality brushes will produce better quality work like an artists would have good quality brushes and materials. Also, people who buy from shops would probably not know what brushes work for what type of art.

To me a true 'nail artist' is someone who can create beautiful natural looking nails, that are balanced perfectly so you can't tell they're not real. Some nail art is truly beautiful and artistic but when created on an ugly nail...what's the point?! We see so many pics on social media that are just horrific despite the 'art' on top.

I enjoy doing nail art but much prefer creating the nail and would prefer to be known for that skill. And as for people doing their own nail art...well it's a form of creativity and people by following a trend have simply found a new canvas on which to express themselves and I have no problem with that, especially if it means they need a tech to provide the perfect nail on which to paint 😊 x

Spot on totally agree ,

Art is useless with out the canvas !

A true nail artists knows how to create the perfect canvas / Nail that in its self is an art . And will enhance the art .

Latest posts

Back