NSS Exposed in Australia

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed this! Thanks for the You Tube suggestion & link..... why aren't they policing the nail industry? What does it take? The hygiene practices (or lack) of salons here is amazing.

Hi Lisa
I have been in a few times and missed you. I have spoken to you on the phone. Karen is such a beautiful and warm and friendly person with a huge kind heart, there is not a mean bone in her body. She has so much passion for our indusrty. I had the great pleasure of sitting in on a demo day at college with her - she is amazing, she really knows her stuff. I have seen the letters that she has written abut hygiene, MMA etc. I can not see anyone shutting her up. You are so lucky to work with her. Did yu know she was begged to do a few days as a trainer at the college. I will make sure I do come in and see you. I know you will learn so much from her. Watch the show on you tube she looks gorgeous and as always so professional.
I dont think she could sac you Lisa, she would never get a good night sleep again if she saced any of the lovely staff at GNB.:)
Max

I got to watch this on Tuesday evening and it was bloody great but yes they did cut out loads as TT were here for about three hours (they were really nice). Karen did really well, now all we have to do is see if this MMA stops being used now the public are more aware of the dangers of using it. I really felt sorry for the two ladies with the really badly damaged toe nails, how awful that must be for them. Its good to see that noises are being made and hope that the public become more aware and make better choices when selecting a salon.

I asked Karen about you Maxine and she said "I know Maxine she's lovely" but you usually come in when i'm off (typical). If you come in when i'm here you should recognise me by my pommy lingo, piercings and pink hair LOL. Karen doesn't come on SG but she told me about another Aussie nail forum (will PM you link) which she does go on, I may have a look myself.

Right back to work:lol:

TOXIC NAILS - Misleading information is what i can say, no one believes in Today tonight anymore because most of their stories are misleading. Yes i believe in strict regulations on hygiene and good suppliers, but not ones that point the finger when they have no proof or evidence, but just assumptions. Where do they get there TOXIC FACTS?

The following sites will open up your mind and discussions towards MMA, which i assume will continue on for the next 1000 years.

Then why should MMA not be used? There are four main reasons:
1. MMA nail products do not adhere well to the nail plate. To make these products adhere, nail technicians often shred up (etch) the surface of the nail. This thins the nail plate and makes it weaker.
2. MMA creates the hardest and most rigid nail enhancements, which makes them very difficult to break. When jammed or caught, the overly filed and thinned natural nail plate will often break before the MMA enhancement, leading to serious nail damage.
3. MMA is extremely difficult to remove. Since it will not dissolve in product removers, it is usually pried from the nail plate, creating still more damage.
4. The FDA says don't use it! This is clearly the most important reason.

The FDA bases their prohibition on the large number of consumer complaints resulting from the use of MMA nail enhancements in the late 70's and they continue to maintain this position today.

The following sites are a good read. Sorry for sounding like a prick or an idiot, but it just irritates me when people mislead others. (Blaming all Asian salons for using it, I know a few which are very good and know there product knowledge very well)

I'm at work so just rushing things, Have fun ^_^

The MMA Controversy
Beauty Tech questions.info

As a fellow Educator, yes i too was glued to the tv screen watching today tonight give it to the asian nail market. This has hopefully opened up the eyes of poor unsuspecting aussie women. The point of the matter is that MMA should be a banned substance in the australian beauty industry just like it is in the U.S, N.Z and parts of Europe. It one thing to hold a segment on your tv show but hopefully it doesn't stop there. Why don't we follow in N.Z footsteps and shut them down.

Thanks for the Youtube link! Great veiwing. I will post it on Facebook to let others see.

thanks for posting this and the link, its interesting. I have added it on my facebook for all to see!

As a fellow Educator, yes i too was glued to the tv screen watching today tonight give it to the asian nail market. This has hopefully opened up the eyes of poor unsuspecting aussie women. The point of the matter is that MMA should be a banned substance in the australian beauty industry just like it is in the U.S, N.Z and parts of Europe. It one thing to hold a segment on your tv show but hopefully it doesn't stop there. Why don't we follow in N.Z footsteps and shut them down.

As an educator, I thought you would of known that MMA was banned in Australia and has been since May 2007
Thats what most of the Today Tonight show was about.

How were they shut down in NZ??

Have a great day

TOXIC NAILS - Misleading information is what i can say, no one believes in Today tonight anymore because most of their stories are misleading. Yes i believe in strict regulations on hygiene and good suppliers, but not ones that point the finger when they have no proof or evidence, but just assumptions. Where do they get there TOXIC FACTS?

The following sites will open up your mind and discussions towards MMA, which i assume will continue on for the next 1000 years.

Then why should MMA not be used? There are four main reasons:
1. MMA nail products do not adhere well to the nail plate. To make these products adhere, nail technicians often shred up (etch) the surface of the nail. This thins the nail plate and makes it weaker.
2. MMA creates the hardest and most rigid nail enhancements, which makes them very difficult to break. When jammed or caught, the overly filed and thinned natural nail plate will often break before the MMA enhancement, leading to serious nail damage.
3. MMA is extremely difficult to remove. Since it will not dissolve in product removers, it is usually pried from the nail plate, creating still more damage.
4. The FDA says don't use it! This is clearly the most important reason.

The FDA bases their prohibition on the large number of consumer complaints resulting from the use of MMA nail enhancements in the late 70's and they continue to maintain this position today.

The following sites are a good read. Sorry for sounding like a prick or an idiot, but it just irritates me when people mislead others. (Blaming all Asian salons for using it, I know a few which are very good and know there product knowledge very well)

I'm at work so just rushing things, Have fun ^_^

The MMA Controversy
Beauty Tech questions.info

Hi
There are some Asian bars that are not using MMA, I am sure!
TT never stated Asian, and never stated all nail bars!
Most Asian nail bars do not speak English nor are they trained, so how do they get product knowledge?
Ask them if the have MSDS and most do not know what you are talking about or need to see the boss man.
The bottles are not labelled, files and implements are shared, towels are not changed between clients etc etc.
Its really simple to work out who is using MMA and who is not have a good wiff next time you pass by any salon - MMA has a strong sweet odour, nothing like EMA.

MMA is banned in Australia and therefore its use is illegal.

TT conducted tests on Karens MMA bottle and it was 99% MMA - that banned illegal MMA - that was not an assumption that is a fact, so sorry I can not see where/how the TT show did/said anything that was misleading and not a fact.
i have noticed that many Asian bars have been quiet and some have 1/2 price specials and are still quiet ($15 fullset) - so the public are listening to TT.
This is something that the industry have fought against for years and finally MMA and its dangers are out in the open.

MMA is banned in USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand for a reason!!!
Lets hope that banning continues throughout the rest of the world!!
Then dodgy, dirty salons will be closed and the good nail techs will once again be able to make some decent money!
The public will then ALL have gorgeous nails on their hands free from damage and disease.

Crappy salons using MMA and sharing files etc - be gone!!!!!

Have a great day

Ladies, it may be officially banned in the US, but we still have problems with these sort of cheap "chop shops" here too. They set up quick stores in strip malls with flat screen TVs and fancy massage pedicure stations and nail stations and look like nice operations. BUT, if you look closely enough, you see ratty files, other tools and basins that haven't been disinfected between clients. Many of the employees (mostly non-English-speaking Asians) walk around with masks on, which is telling of MMA use. Uninformed customers keep going back because the prices are cheap. And they wonder why their nails turn green and fall off.

MANY Asian nail bars do no use MMA, some do, these guys ain't stupid and they are changing, and some of them do reasonable nails. WHAT NOW?

Mask wearing is not always indicative of MMA use, just recently at the Nail Competitions, 50% of competitors wore masks (and they definately were not using MMA).

We are gonna have to compete on a level playing field.

The bottle Karen purchased had MMA listed as an ingredient and surprise, surprise, it showed up as an ingredient, the supplier "American Beauty Supplies" (one of 2 within 20 metres of each other)..... (after a letter from the APFA) has now removed it from their shelves (so the supplier has done their bit and Kudos to them).....They actually stock some well known brands also and have a pretty good reputation for their other product lines also.

Yet the other supplier "Diamond Nails" (which was right next door), they didn't bother to visit.

Also, if you listen, the undercovers who spent 2 hours in the salon (who would spend 2 hours in an Asian salon?, they have you in and out in 45mins) wearing their air detectors, the results were UNDER the recommended exposure limit.

I also thought it odd one women says her nails turned white, then within 2 seconds, the other woman says they turned black.

Maxine, we know you love a conspiracy, your thoughts/posts on polish ingredients is well remembered (and debunked), I believe that was also pushing GNB also.:) Fear mongering is an old trick (just be careful, when it may bite the whole industry on the bum)... even the innocent.

Keep in mind NOT EVERY salon client watches Today Tonight .... very few of mine saw it.

As I said before "it's a start".

Last edited:
Its a huge start, nailzoo.
There is no conspiracy, there is no scare mongering MMA is banned in Australia. All every techs wants is a level playing field, this is still many many years away. Non of us wants damage to our beloved industry, these crappy bars are damaging nail after nail and those clients will never have their nails done again by anyone - this is a shame, there are many wonderful techs.
MMA is still being used in these bars reguardless of the banning and I am sure it will contiue to be used as in the states etc.
This is a long hard road, the correctly trained nail techs who use EMA, use clean new files on clients and do brilliant work will be continue to slogg along one day hoping that MMA will truely be gone. When Karen went to Diamnond nails and fresh nails there were no bottles of MMA on the shelf. She was only able to buy MMA from ABS straight off the shelf they did not even ask questions about qualifications etc. Yes, I buy from GNB Salon Supplies and also Salon First in Svenhills so what - you use many products and I amsure you do not buy from just one distributer, who does??

Have a great day

Last edited:
Well at least it is a start.

But $15 bucks for a full set? :eek:

Might as well find another job :cry:

Yeah $15 a fullset and they were still not busy.
The public in general realise cheap is not always better and in the nail industry, it means somtinwong!!!
Hang in there, we will survive!!

When Karen went to Diamnond nails and fresh nails there were no bottles of MMA on the shelf. She was only able to buy MMA from ABS straight off the shelf they did not even ask questions about qualifications etc.

90% of all liquid @ Diamond Nails is MMA, pick a bottle, almost any bottle, check their website. Even some labelled no MMA contains it ..... i've had several run ins with them and they feign not understanding me.

I also gave zero's to a competitor using their product a year ago (I wasn't allowed to disqualify him). Even this year their product was dubious, the sooner we can get MMA testing kits the better.

Apparently OPI can get them, but not in this country yet.

Some suppliers still use a small amount of MMA (1% is allowed apparently)in their products to prevent crystalisation and a faster setup time.

Well guys i am in NZ and we still have an abundance of (excuse the language) crappy nail bars in every mall :irked: - they are cheap and nasty and only care about quantity and not quality i wish we could just banish them all but i have a saying for every woman in the world that complains at paying top dollar for a high quality perfect set of nails" NICE THINGS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP THINGS AREN'T NICE" :lol:

Quality B4 Quantity :)

90% of all liquid @ Diamond Nails is MMA, pick a bottle, almost any bottle, check their website. Even some labelled no MMA contains it ..... i've had several run ins with them and they feign not understanding me.

I also gave zero's to a competitor using their product a year ago (I wasn't allowed to disqualify him). Even this year their product was dubious, the sooner we can get MMA testing kits the better.

Apparently OPI can get them, but not in this country yet.

Some suppliers still use a small amount of MMA (1% is allowed apparently)in their products to prevent crystalisation and a faster setup time.

There were no botles of MMA monomer on the shelf when Karen went out there, it was already underground by that stage.She did ask no amount of MMA allowed in monomer Australia - 1% or less is allowed in polymer as that is a by product of the monomer NON IN MMA is legal.
We need a test kit here in Australia that is cheap enough to upply council rangers and the health department with. That would be fabolous.
Have a great evening

Latest posts

Back