Nursing or Beauty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmogeek

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Hopefully yous can help me with my major dilemma i have just now. st moved area and find myself starting at the bottom of the career ladder again started a new office job hate it!! Seriously considered renting space and just starting up myself doing nails maybe do one day a week at college to get my beauty therapy hnc and add to treatment list. either that or do a nursing course and just do nails at home but ive just seen a thread with nurses whove turned to beauty after nursing cause they hated it.

my question is i love doing nails and would love to open a beauty salon but im worried about finances im worried i wont make much of a wage if im self employed and not got clients booked in all day every day.

please help! :cry:

You have one life and work is a large part of it, id say go with what you love doing and be happy.You will work harder at something you enjoy and hopefully make the money you need.

i agree but i think taking the plunge going self emplyed is a daunting task. wanting to start a family asap too so not sure how it all works if youre self emplyed.

Hi I have had this dilemma but not with nursing. After maternity leave, I knew it would be hard to work hours employers wanted plus childcare is very expensive. ( I had worked in the NHS but had previously been a beauty therapist) I decided to go back to beauty because of the hours I could work around my son however I too have been worried about earnings.

I think for maybe 1-3 years you have to be prepared to go with little income in order to build your business and it always needs attention to be competitive. So far 3 months in I cannot complain but still have a way to go but I am more aware this time around of not having all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

I would suggest getting as much capital behind you as you can before embarking on beauty. Having children is also difficult if you decide to rent and I would have them first before doing so. Everyone is different but if cash means more to you then I would do the nursing.

Hi giz
i'm an ex-nurse and just noticed your thread so thought id reply ..i spent 11 yrs in nursing ..long hours 12 & 1\2 hr shifts on rota days\afternoons\nights a weekend off every 3 or 4 weeks and a day off during the week ...yep the money is good with a nice paypacket every month but only if your prepared to do the call of duty ..meaning the long hours & the hectic,chaotic kneedeep atmosphere of ..well you probably watch holby city & casualty..i also did a stint in the community which was still full time but mon-fri a bit better & enjoyable and less stressful. weekends off ..yep there is a small number of us ex-nurses on the site ...anyways ..as the other girls say one life & you decide whichever path you choose to go along is entirely up to you ..even if it is for a short while...Nursing is 3-4 yrs training depends on what nursing field you choose (child\adult\general\mental health\midwife) but if you haven't got enough grades then an access course is beneficial ... don't know if it has changed but thats what it was like during my time ..if you feel it's a bit much & you don't want to go thru all that up to your eyes in text books...have you considered applying for a nursing\care assistant position..just a thought & you still get hands on experiance.

The advantages in nursing is maternity leave and paid (as you said you want to start a family) for used to be 3 months leave don't know how long now as my little baby is now a young man of 18 ..theres holidays & holiday pay & a few other perks .....i didn't hate nursing i just gave it up 8 yrs ago for my own reasons simply because i became too tired & did it for long enough & it was time for a change...although i must admit i miss the adrenaline and being in the thick of it so to speak & there has been a few occasions i wanted to return..you'll probably find that us ex-nurses choose beauty,nails,hair & holistics because it's a change...but for me i wanted something for me and to be my own boss but still wanting to keep in the line of work i was accustomed to ...i've just recently started building a small clientelle of regulars and the money is "comfortable" for me & i can choose when i want to work but at the same time agreeing with essentia on the money side of it.

as regards wanting to do your nursing course hun ..go for it not only to get that bit of capital behind you aswell as keeping your "head above water" so to speak but for the experiance & achievement & knowledge and just do nails at home on your rest days to keep up with the career without tiring yourself out tho..it's also that little bit extra in the bank towards the main goal & achievement which is your salon you want to open one day ..you've studied & worked really hard to become a nail techician and don't want to let all that training go to waste...keep up the good work & sorry for rambling on but hope it helps & good luck on the career path.

Last edited:
Starting my nursing course in August, done beauty for years..I would like to advance my beauty treatments with my nursing qual and possibly work P/Time nursing.

Only doing my nursing to get out of the UK and move to the States

Good Luck

Jenny

If i were you i would do the nursing and build up the beauty in the backround.

I was a nurse for 10 years and if I'm honest I wasnt happy for most of that time, it took being bullied by a collegue to finally give myself the push to leave. I had lost all confidence in myself to the point where an emergency bell rang one day and I panicked instead of going to the emergency. I never went back to work after that day.

i'm now about to start a pedicure course with the idea of doing more beauty courses in the future.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Latest posts

Back