NVQ...Now i am really confused..??????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koraoke

Reaction score
OK guys, please can you sort this one , before I have to take a vallium!!!

I trained back in '92, and continued working and training up untill 2002, when I got real ill and gave up compleletly.

I am now returing to my vocation, and thought I really would like to have a qualification of the times!!!

I have booked myself a CND conversion, as I have always wanted to be CND qualified, but thought OK I might go get an NVQ aswell.

so I went to the library and got these 3 books ; NVQ level 2 and 3 and sat and browsed and took notes on nail enhancements.

The first thing that furrowed my brow, was Methalated spirit= to dehydrate the nail plate??? never heard of that one/ I have used it to clean stuff on my car during repairs but never for nails!!

then the book told me to clean my very expensive sculpting brush on a TISSUE!!!!! I might be deluded here but I am sure Gigi told me only to ever clean my brush on cotton towling( please correct me Gigi if you read this x)

There was no no reference to the removal of the Pterygium ( hope that is the right word, I am new to using the correct terms, the invisible bit of cuticle that causes lifting if you dont remove it I mean!! Lol)

And then after I had argued with the book a few more times, I was asked to keep the laughter down, or I would be removed from the premises, as I read " You should supply you client with safety goggles to wear, while trimming the tips , as they may fly up and hit your client in the face"

Have things really changed this much or was I having a horrid dream?
Thanks for reading x

hi.
I'm looking to do a nvq. and i know it's going to be vastly different from what we've been taught by our trainers. but i feel i want to get a nvq. so i can cover myself in the future if needs be. But I would also like to do perhaps a cnd conversion course, or possibly a ezflow.
So I think i'm going to get the nvq out the way first, then do the cool stuff after,
It's like hairdressing you have to go to college to obtain your city and guilds, and they don't teach you much. But the hairdressing salon that you work in are the true educators. Same goes for nails i suppose.
thg:confused:

OK guys, please can you sort this one , before I have to take a vallium!!!

I trained back in '92, and continued working and training up untill 2002, when I got real ill and gave up compleletly.

I am now returing to my vocation, and thought I really would like to have a qualification of the times!!!

I have booked myself a CND conversion, as I have always wanted to be CND qualified, but thought OK I might go get an NVQ aswell.

so I went to the library and got these 3 books ; NVQ level 2 and 3 and sat and browsed and took notes on nail enhancements.

The first thing that furrowed my brow, was Methalated spirit= to dehydrate the nail plate??? never heard of that one/ I have used it to clean stuff on my car during repairs but never for nails!! YOU DO NOT USE METHS TO CLEAN THE NAIL PLATE!! YOU USE A PROPER NAIL LATE DEHYDRATOR THAT GOES WITH THE SYSTEM YOU ARE TRAINING WITH.

then the book told me to clean my very expensive sculpting brush on a TISSUE!!!!! I might be deluded here but I am sure Gigi told me only to ever clean my brush on cotton towling( please correct me Gigi if you read this x) THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO CLEAN YOUR BRUSH IS IN YOUR MONOMER LIQUID AND THEN SQUEEZE OUT ANY EXCESS LIQUID WITH A LINT FREE GAUZE PAD.

There was no no reference to the removal of the Pterygium ( hope that is the right word, I am new to using the correct terms, the invisible bit of cuticle that causes lifting if you dont remove it I mean!! Lol)PTERGIUM IS THE WRONG WORD FOR THE INVISIBLE CUTICLE ... THE CORRECT WORD FOR THE INVISIBLE CUTICLE IS ... CUTICLE. :)

And then after I had argued with the book a few more times, I was asked to keep the laughter down, or I would be removed from the premises, as I read " You should supply you client with safety goggles to wear, while trimming the tips , as they may fly up and hit your client in the face" STRICTLY SPEAKING THIS IS A PRECAUTION YOU COULD TAKE. TRAINING PROVIDERS HAVE TO GIVE YOU THE WORST CASE SCENARIO .. NO TECHS I KNOW ACTUALLY DO THIS BUT YOU DO NEED TO BE AWARE OF WHAT COULD HAPPEN AND TAKE OTHER PRECAUTIONS TO SEE THAT IT DOESN'T .. LIKE HOLDING THE END OF THE TIP WHEN YOU TRIM IT SO IT DOESN'T FLY UP IN THE FACE OF THE CLIENT.

Have things really changed this much or was I having a horrid dream?
Thanks for reading x

THE BETTER EDUCATED YOU ARE UNFORTUNATELY, THE MORE THE NVQ INFORMATION STANDS OUT AS BEING OLD FASHIONED AT BEST AND DOWNRIGHT WRONG AT WORST :irked:

I want to become a nail technician and hope to have my own business in the future. I am looking at the selection of courses available and am confused as to which qualification is best to have. I know people that have trained with Creative, however all the job ads I have seen require NVQs. I am also struggling to find a provider of NVQ Level 3 for Nail Services.

Can anyone help me clear the fog please?! :rolleyes:

Tegie

question for gigi if she's reading ! I have an vtct qualification in advanced nail techniques, i did this about 7 years ago. Would you recommend i do the NVQ ?

A book you MUST get is NailCalss by Gigi - a true reference bible!

question for gigi if she's reading ! I have an vtct qualification in advanced nail techniques, i did this about 7 years ago. Would you recommend i do the NVQ ?
VCTC is supposed to be exactly the same qualification under a different name so NO you don't need to do both.

I feel very cross about qualifications nowadays i dont really know whats going on. I think what you have to do is get a recognised qualification to be able to be recognised,insured and get a job especially about health and safety which seems to be the main objective.
BUT to be any good at what you do and provide an exceptional and way above average service to your clients, find someone to train you that is passionate about what they do and is not bound by stupid rules.
I have my daughter booked on an VCTC nail tech course ,but to me thats the legislation bit, the training will come after with a company, which i shall be researching ,unless i am pleasantly surprised
To be honest im so cross with it all it seems to be like everything else nowadays either pay or no one cares.Fortunately as a family we are able to pay and as an experienced therapist and with the help of this site i now know good training from bad.

hi yes i totally agree, but this is totally across the board whatever you learn, you are only as good as the teachers. but your paying for the priviledge. I won't be settled until i do this nvq, vtct, whatever, then i know i've done what is required. I just dread to think what products there be using, probably the edge knowing my luck.:cry:

then the book told me to clean my very expensive sculpting brush on a TISSUE!!!!! I might be deluded here but I am sure Gigi told me only to ever clean my brush on cotton towling( please correct me Gigi if you read this x) THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO CLEAN YOUR BRUSH IS IN YOUR MONOMER LIQUID AND THEN SQUEEZE OUT ANY EXCESS LIQUID WITH A LINT FREE GAUZE PAD.

Now I'm confused. I was informed on a thread on here that the reason tips were yellowing on rebalance for me was because I had let my brush dry with monomer liquid on it and it was contaminated.
I was cleaning it the way you say
Do you use brush cleaner?
Cheers
Karen

Thank you so much for all replies, I was a bit worried bout posting. I have had some horrid experiences on other "professional forums" and took a while before posting here.

Firstly I am real confused with diagram I got from the book, showing the hand and terminology. Can anyone recommend a good one , is there one in Gigis' book?

I think I am not gonna bother with the NVQ I am gonna stick with CND.

I have been cleaning my brush with monomer for yaers and never had a prob.

Now I'm confused. I was informed on a thread on here that the reason tips were yellowing on rebalance for me was because I had let my brush dry with monomer liquid on it and it was contaminated.
I was cleaning it the way you say
Do you use brush cleaner?
Cheers
Karen

Hunny, it's not the way you are cleaning it, it's because you are not using
your brush enough and letting it dry out.
My brush never goes dry ... if it did, I'd have yellowing like anyone else.
A brush that is continually in use everyday by a busy tech, rarely gets contaminated with old dry liquid ... only newbies and part timers have this problem.

Hunny, it's not the way you are cleaning it, it's because you are not using
your brush enough and letting it dry out.
My brush never goes dry ... if it did, I'd have yellowing like anyone else.
A brush that is continually in use everyday by a busy tech, rarely gets contaminated with old dry liquid ... only newbies and part timers have this problem.

Ah now I see. Can you suggest to me please how I should clean my brush in light of the fact that I am not continually using it. I have read completely through the first unit from my course and it doenst mention it. I would have thought this would be one of the first things to teach me
Thanks for that
Cheers
Karen

BRUSHSTORAGEcopy-1.jpg
ok I am not sure if this is correct, but I have used this system for years
<a%20href=

Ah now I see. Can you suggest to me please how I should clean my brush in light of the fact that I am not continually using it. I have read completely through the first unit from my course and it doenst mention it. I would have thought this would be one of the first things to teach me
Thanks for that
Cheers
Karen

Keep your brush in a closed metal container and dip it in monomer, and squeeze out the excess, every few days or so to keep it from drying out completely.

I enquired at a college that does VTCT in enhancements,and for gel,they used a soak off as opposed to a buff off as "it is kinder to the natural nail":eek:

When i questioned this,the educator did not have a response,and i can only conclude that my gut instincts were correct in seeking training with someone who could give me the passion and dedication i require to succeed as a technician,as opposed to old,out of date,and unsubstantiated misguided information:!:

Latest posts

Back