NVQ training in Doncaster?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimummy

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking for some time now :Scared: but thought I'd take the plunge and say hi :green:
I'm looking for somewhere in Doncaster to do my NVQ training but apparently Doncaster college are no longer running the course :irked:
I called T-Centrix and they no longer have funding for the nail services course so I'm at a loss wondering where to look next?!

I know you can do them privately but I can't afford to pay the fees and as I don't have a level 2 qualification I'd be eligible for funding through an appropriate channel-the problem is finding one!

Does anyone know of anywhere? I considered doing a course with Red 10 but as I'm hoping to have an actual employer at some point as opposed to self-employment I'm not sure it would do me any good. From what I've heard employers seems to prefer NVQ's?

Anywho thanks in advance for your help!
:green:

Hi all, I've been lurking for some time now :Scared: but thought I'd take the plunge and say hi :green:
I'm looking for somewhere in Doncaster to do my NVQ training but apparently Doncaster college are no longer running the course :irked:
I called T-Centrix and they no longer have funding for the nail services course so I'm at a loss wondering where to look next?!

I know you can do them privately but I can't afford to pay the fees and as I don't have a level 2 qualification I'd be eligible for funding through an appropriate channel-the problem is finding one!

Does anyone know of anywhere? I considered doing a course with Red 10 but as I'm hoping to have an actual employer at some point as opposed to self-employment I'm not sure it would do me any good. From what I've heard employers seems to prefer NVQ's?

Anywho thanks in advance for your help!
:green:

Hi there, the government are stopping funding for adult learners so you won't be able to do a p/t nvq at any college across the uk. They are only funding for 14-19 year olds. I'm on the last p/t nvq course at doncaster college, there's no where else doing them. Which is ****e!

if i were you, i'd save up a bit of cash an train with a reputable company such as cnd. It may be expensive but it will be worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi there, the government are stopping funding for adult learners so you won't be able to do a p/t nvq at any college across the uk. They are only funding for 14-19 year olds. I'm on the last p/t nvq course at doncaster college, there's no where else doing them. Which is ****e!

if i were you, i'd save up a bit of cash an train with a reputable company such as cnd. It may be expensive but it will be worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

:eek: Why? Are we not in need of financial assistance or something? :lol: That's horrendous!

:eek: Why? Are we not in need of financial assistance or something? :lol: That's horrendous!

It's disgusting. A lot of people are going to miss out, and it stinks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Gemma Lambert of the nail team is in Doncaster could always ask but I don't know if thats something she does.

Well I did ideally want to do an NVQ simply because I'm hoping to be employed as opposed to being on my own-or at least to have that as an option. If an NVQ is looking bleak what else could I do that would be as appealing to employers? :irked:

Yeah go on facebook and type nail team, and speak to Gemma. I am from doncaster too, and she has helped me loads, especially with questions about nail treatments. Its rubbish that they have stopped the nail course at doncaster college :(. Have you looked at other colleges, I know its more travelling but worth a look :D x

NVQs are out of date, red10 provide training for Ezflow and they are reputable as are CND, there doesnt appear to be a many opportunuties for employment in this industry but there are some, and of course you would make more money by being self-employed...being cnd trained particulary im sure would get you employment over being nvq trained as it is the most reputable and recognised brand not only for their products but also their education.

NVQs are out of date, red10 provide training for Ezflow and they are reputable as are CND, there doesnt appear to be a many opportunuties for employment in this industry but there are some, and of course you would make more money by being self-employed...being cnd trained particulary im sure would get you employment over being nvq trained as it is the most reputable and recognised brand not only for their products but also their education.

Thanks for that, seems like the best idea. I get confused with all the different options that each company offers. Can they not just have a beginners course and have done with it? :lol: All these different options baffle me! Would you say the signature 5 foundation course is the best place to start?

Sorry for being a pain! I just don't want to go into the industry with poor training-I think there's enough butchers out there without me adding to it! :eek:

Yeah go on facebook and type nail team, and speak to Gemma. I am from doncaster too, and she has helped me loads, especially with questions about nail treatments. Its rubbish that they have stopped the nail course at doncaster college :(. Have you looked at other colleges, I know its more travelling but worth a look :D x

It's not just doncaster college, it's the idiotic government who have decided it, so no colleges in the uk will be running it. They are only funding under 19's. So even if u r willing to travel, other places won't be doing it ether. So basically the government would rather we were all claiming the dole rather than trying to get an education to better ourselves. I think we should do a petition lol
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not just doncaster college, it's the idiotic government who have decided it, so no colleges in the uk will be running it. They are only funding under 19's. So even if u r willing to travel, other places won't be doing it ether. So basically the government would rather we were all claiming the dole rather than trying to get an education to better ourselves. I think we should do a petition lol
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking of contacting my local MP. I don't know what good it will do but I might at least get an answer as to WHY the hell they find it appropriate to remove funding form adult learners! Plus, if enough people have the same idea they may listen...:rolleyes:

Posted via Mobile Device

OMG I am shocked and actually speechless (which is rare lol). I didnt realise, its awful, and this is going to make people go to under qualified companies who offer cheap and nasty nail courses!!! :irked:

give jo a call at red 10 and ask her to talk through your options ive done my training there and they are fantastic and really helpful.
good luck in what you decide
xxxx

I don't see how they can possibly expected unemployed people, single parents etc on benefits to pay the full amount for a course! That's ridiculous!
I emailed Rosie Winterton so hopefully she'll be able to let us know what the bloomin heck is going on-she's actually really nice and responds quite quickly for an MP.
Still...it sucks :rolleyes:

give jo a call at red 10 and ask her to talk through your options ive done my training there and they are fantastic and really helpful.
good luck in what you decide
xxxx

They do look really good on their website and their courses are easier to understand for a noob like me :green:

I don't see how they can possibly expected unemployed people, single parents etc on benefits to pay the full amount for a course! That's ridiculous!
I emailed Rosie Winterton so hopefully she'll be able to let us know what the bloomin heck is going on-she's actually really nice and responds quite quickly for an MP.

Actually you can get a lot of help financially from the job centre...I know as they have helped me a lot in the past, it might be worth while doing some research before emailing people or they will just laugh at you if you dont have the facts (no offence) x

Actually you can get a lot of help financially from the job centre...I know as they have helped me a lot in the past, it might be worth while doing some research before emailing people or they will just laugh at you if you dont have the facts (no offence) x

None taken :green: I emailed her politely saying I was appalled at the news and wondered if she could shed any light on what sort of financial assistance will be available for adults on a low income. I wasn't rude or anything because she's always been really helpful when I've contacted her in the past so hopefully she'll clear that up.

RE: The jobcentre

They do help sometimes through New deal but you have to be unemployed and claiming jobseekers allowance for six months. However, I have a friend who has been to the jobcentre recently to enquire about another course that has been discontinued at Doncaster college and she was informed that they will not pay for privately run courses...great :rolleyes:
So all the places that offer NVQ's in Nail services such as Carlton institute etc are effectively useless if you can't afford to pay for it outright.

I'm going to pop in and ask them myself what I can do because they run a voluntary scheme called new deal for partners. Hopefully they'll be able to offer me a solution.

I've emailed my local MP, asked if he can tell us whats going on, and whether it is to be a long term situation. I explained that if people are unable to do certain courses it could be detrimental to their career and future plans.

Hopefully I'll get a response next week. You are right it sucks, sucks big time! I'll keep you posted as to what his response is.

Latest posts

Back