Quantcast

NVQ2 & 3 question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

ellasmum

Reaction score
Is there any point in doing the NVQ 2 and not doing the NVQ 3???/ Just would like your opinions please, I am doing 2 now and wondering about doind 3 and why.
Sam

samlamb

Reaction score
Hi,I finished my level 2 in July and we were all told then we should go on and do level 3.However a lot of us are doing our level 3 massage,A&P,bodywraps and exfoliation in september as a shorter more intensive course rather than do another full year as most of us simply can not do another full year.HTH sam:hug:

pure

Reaction score
I have completed my level 2 but due to childcare problems I can't do the level 3 anytime in the near future so I have decided to do the units individually. I will probably start with the Swedish massage early next year as a short private course and then add the Indian Head etc at a later date.

It really depends where you want to go with your career. I am mobile, I do not want to work in a salon (other than at home) and so I have no need for doing electrical facials but I will need the massage.

BABSann

Reaction score
Hi,I finished my level 2 in July and we were all told then we should go on and do level 3.However a lot of us are doing our level 3 massage,A&P,bodywraps and exfoliation in september as a shorter more intensive course rather than do another full year as most of us simply can not do another full year.HTH sam:hug:
Level 3 beauty therapy involves electrical treatments,i.e faradics,galvanics,electrolysis,spa,fitness and health etc. The A&P is much more intense as is the whole course compared to level 2.

In our college we had to have level 2 beauty therapy and level 3 body massage before we were allowed to go on to do our level 3 beauty therapy.It makes sense as well because firstly there is so much to learn with the level 3 qualification in beauty therapy it simply would not be practical doing both massage and level 3 beauty therapy because there is just so much to learn,massage on it's own is a very in depth course.Worth it though:green:

There are an awful lot of salons that accept level 3 as minimum requirement because a lot of salons have a great deal of electrical treatments,it would be of no use to a salon if a therapist had only a level 2(which is fairly basic compared to a level 3) when they needed to have a sound knowledge of electrical treatments.

For me level 3 was the next step,I wanted to have a thorough understanding of all aspects of the beauty industry,not feel in the dark about many treatments,especially when clients asked me what the benefits were/are for many treatments.

It is hard work,I was a mature student with 3 children and a husband in the forces,but it was very important to me,unfortunately level 3 massage,exfoliation:eek:body wraps and A&P dosn't even touch on level 3 beauty therapy,they are merely a step up to starting your level 3.HTH

ellasmum

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,I am also thinking about doing the massage element on its own as I have a salon at home also.
Sam

BABSann

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,I am also thinking about doing the massage element on its own as I have a salon at home also.
Sam
It would certainly help and give you more of an insight to the A&P,it's a fab course and you will be in great demand the minute anyone finds out you can give a massage.:lol:

sparklybits

Reaction score
I find that if you complete level 2 first it give you a good grounding and understanding of the basics in beauty therapy. This in turn will help you to understand the more advanced treatments.

samlamb

Reaction score
Level 3 beauty therapy involves electrical treatments,i.e faradics,galvanics,electrolysis,spa,fitness and health etc. The A&P is much more intense as is the whole course compared to level 2.

In our college we had to have level 2 beauty therapy and level 3 body massage before we were allowed to go on to do our level 3 beauty therapy.It makes sense as well because firstly there is so much to learn with the level 3 qualification in beauty therapy it simply would not be practical doing both massage and level 3 beauty therapy because there is just so much to learn,massage on it's own is a very in depth course.Worth it though:green:

There are an awful lot of salons that accept level 3 as minimum requirement because a lot of salons have a great deal of electrical treatments,it would be of no use to a salon if a therapist had only a level 2(which is fairly basic compared to a level 3) when they needed to have a sound knowledge of electrical treatments.

For me level 3 was the next step,I wanted to have a thorough understanding of all aspects of the beauty industry,not feel in the dark about many treatments,especially when clients asked me what the benefits were/are for many treatments.

It is hard work,I was a mature student with 3 children and a husband in the forces,but it was very important to me,unfortunately level 3 massage,exfoliation:eek:body wraps and A&P dosn't even touch on level 3 beauty therapy,they are merely a step up to starting your level 3.HTH
Re :eek: exfoliation I was surprised at this too,but that is part and parcle of the NVQ level 3 massage &A&P ,that we start in september.I think that if you simply cannot do another year then doing the nvq3 is quite acceptable.It is not a 1 day course!!Some people just can not do another year.

samlamb

Reaction score
Sam

Yes you could do electronics etc on other courses.

BABSann

Reaction score
Re :eek: exfoliation I was surprised at this too,but that is part and parcle of the NVQ level 3 massage &A&P ,that we start in september.I think that if you simply cannot do another year then doing the nvq3 is quite acceptable.It is not a 1 day course!!Some people just can not do another year.
I wasn't knocking you hun,just shocked that they could/would add exfoliation to their level 3 massage qualifiaction.:green:Mmmm why???do we not all know how to do exfoliation???LOL

Anyway,changing the subject..Yes massage level 3 is more than acceptable if you cant do another year although my massage course was a year long so that wouldn't have entered the equasion,what I was saying is there isn't really any comparison between a level 3 massage qualification and level 3 beauty ,they are 2 very different courses,but yes,you are right,massage is a good qualfication and it gives you more of an insight to the A&P than that of beauty level 2 on it's own.HTH:hug: xx

VivaLaDiva

Reaction score
Hi, I have done Beauty Therapy level 2 and 3, when I had only completed level 2 I couldnt get a job, most places want level 3, but then it depends what you want to do.
Im not sure whats on level 3 where you are, because I live on the Isle of Wight, on level 3 here we learn Sweedish body massage, Artificial nails, Epilation, Body and facial electrical.
Since finding work in the industry the only one of these I use is body massage. Not many salons do body and facial electrical.
It might be worth considering doing Level 3 Holistics, because you would learn the sweedish full body, lymph drainage massage, nuromuscular, Aromatherapy and Reflexology. Im doing this in September, but I think it would be more usefull than the electrical treatments especially if your considering a massage course.
Part of me wishes I did Holistics level 3 instead of Beauty level 3, but I love doing Artificial nails

samlamb

Reaction score
Hi, I have done Beauty Therapy level 2 and 3, when I had only completed level 2 I couldnt get a job, most places want level 3, but then it depends what you want to do.
Im not sure whats on level 3 where you are, because I live on the Isle of Wight, on level 3 here we learn Sweedish body massage, Artificial nails, Epilation, Body and facial electrical.
Since finding work in the industry the only one of these I use is body massage. Not many salons do body and facial electrical.
It might be worth considering doing Level 3 Holistics, because you would learn the sweedish full body, lymph drainage massage, nuromuscular, Aromatherapy and Reflexology. Im doing this in September, but I think it would be more usefull than the electrical treatments especially if your considering a massage course.
Part of me wishes I did Holistics level 3 instead of Beauty level 3, but I love doing Artificial nails
hi what kind of enhancements did you learn?

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
i felt i had covered enough on level 2 to get me going and (couldnt be arsed with another 12 months!) however EVENTUALLY i would like to do massage i did actually enjoy the a+p bit of the course!

amb x

VivaLaDiva

Reaction score
On Beauty level 3 we learn gel, acrylic and silk and fibreglass artificial nails

Latest posts