OFF and OF

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arghhhhhh yes!
The I should of done this. Could of done that... Drives me absolutely crackers!!!

How do these people not understand?!
Could HAVE, should HAVE!!!!

Laura xx

Incorrect use of you/yourself and me/myself. They don't mean the same thing! People have suddenly started using "yourself" instead of "you" in an attempt to sound intelligent but its just wrong.

"If you have any questions, please contact myself" - only YOU can contact your SELF!
"I was searching for a plumber and I came across yourself" - only HE can come across himSELF!

Argh!!

The same as 'me and Sarah' NO 'Sarah and I' ...doh!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've had to give up reading this, it's annoying me toooooooooo much! Grrr

Definitely and defiantly lol xx

I said this on a rant page on fb yesterday and got bitched at for spelling thier as their during my moan. I am Welsh, i and e can be a problem when typing in English. Our alphabet is nothing like the English one! I learned both languages together Cut me some slack lol.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Been & Being, ugh this gets on my nerves, I get "professional" emails so often with this mistake :mad:

Bought and brought irritates me the most. I have one friend who uses every single word mentioned in this thread incorrectly. Drives me crazy!

Me too! I don't know how people ever got them confused in the first place.
If you buy something you have paid for it, therefore you have bought it.
If you fetch something from somewhere you have brought it, maybe to your house. Two completely different things!

Yes also the specific/pacific. One is an ocean for gods sake.

My OH family all say things that really irritate me! The borrow/lend subject comes up all the time, non of them can grasp it.
And they don't even pronounce it borrOW, they say borrY. That's not even a real word!
They're from the same town as me, just opposite sides, how can things change so much just 20 minutes away?!

'Can you borry me that pen please'
Erm no. But I can lend it to you.

Laura xx

If you fetch something from somewhere you have brought it, maybe to your house. Two completely different things!

My OH family all say things that really irritate me! The borrow/lend subject comes up all the time, non of them can grasp it.
And they don't even pronounce it borrOW, they say borrY. That's not even a real word!
They're from the same town as me, just opposite sides, how can things change so much just 20 minutes away?!

Erm no. But I can lend it you.

Laura xx

But. .. you don't fetch something from somewhere. .. you take something from somewhere. ..lol!

Actually Laura I think you are right here. I don't think it matters so much in that context.

Last edited:

Erm no. But I can lend it to you.

Laura xx

Laura xx

This is another of my most irritating! 😡😡
The Pacific is a bloody ocean!!

Agree totally. Pacific/Specific. This makes me twitch.

But. .. you don't fetch something from somewhere. .. you take something from somewhere. ..lol!

Actually Laura I think you are right here. I don't think it matters so much in that context.

You certainly can fetch things from places lol. Dogs fetch balls from across the field, and I say 'aww he brought it back' lmao 😳
Take sounds naughty I think haha, and that dog definitely didn't 'bought it back' lol.

Laura xx

I get really irritated by 'work colleagues'. Colleagues are people you work with!

Could of instead of could've or could have is also really irritating!

Vic x

I get really irritated by 'work colleagues'. Colleagues are people you work with!

Vic x

I say work colleagues because I didn't know the true meaning. In german, a colleague is someone you know before you are at the friend stage, like acquaintance I suppose. Not necessarily someone you work with.

It's also one of those words that I always need to check how to spell.. bit of useless info there for you.

I say work colleagues because I didn't know the true meaning. In german, a colleague is someone you know before you are at the friend stage, like acquaintance I suppose. Not necessarily someone you work with.

It's also one of those words that I always need to check how to spell.. bit of useless info there for you.

Your in good company Chela. They used it on radio 5 the other day x

This isn't always the case. From memory, it depends whether the pronoun is the subject or object of a verb.

English is by far the hardest language to learn...!

Your (it belongs to you!!) and you're (you are) - drives me nuts!

I was taught that you use the word you would use if the other person is removed so you would say' Sarah and I love cake' because you would say 'i love cake' but you can say 'it was lovely for Sarah and me' because you would say 'it was lovely for me'
I hope that's right as taught by very highly accredited journalist many years ago lol x

That can be a difficult one, depending on whether there's anything else in the sentence or not.

Sarah and me went for a coffee... no.

Sarah spent the day with I... no.

Brought - bring
Bought - buy

BRought & BRing both have 'r' in :)

What really annoys me though is when I get texts spelt out the way they are spoken in our dialect. It's a very broad dialect and it just looks ridiculous when written down. My aunt is the worst for it!

Could of instead of could've or could have is also really irritating!

Vic x

I have colleagues that are in other countries. We call each other colleagues because we work in the same field, collaborate together, help each other and work together to improve our industry.

Cloths and clothes get my back up . I want to burn my computer when I see people posting on facebook that they have been out and bought some new cloths to wear at the weekend . :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back