Offers on Start Up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam28

Reaction score
I have read a previous thread where alot of you dont really agree too much on offering discounted prices and offers etc. which I totally agree with. I just wanted some advice on what you think about offering discounts etc upon opening. I've been open three weeks now and today finished my opening offer. A couple of people have rung today still wanting the offer and when I said it was an opening offer and has now finished they didnt want to book (this is for spray tans). I was charging ten pound per spray tan and it was obviously massively popular and its gone back upto twenty (which I dont think is expensive in itself) I am thinking along the lines of still sticking to my guns for a few weeks and seeing how it pans out because otherwise I'm going to end up doing a spray tan at the same price forever which obviously would just be ridiculous ! I was thinking of perhaps doing a ten pound spray tan on Friday's, which is what the competition seem to be doing at the moment. What do you all think ??? :hug:

people always want something for nothing they make me so angry, but that'how your get them by offers. why don't you offer 3 spray tans for buy 2 get one free .. or you could do introduce a freind, we 've got a perpetual offer. they love an offer. as ong as your making money, and keeping afloat why not
hth thg:)

We do a different offer every month in our salon and it works very well for us. Fills any little gaps, and brings new clients in - some only want a good deal, others will become good long term clients for all areas of the salon.

hiya :)

I would agree that doing tans for a tenner is pure financial suicide :rolleyes:

However, I also think that doing cheaper tans on a specific day is also not a good idea.

I do think the referral scheme is a good way to go but don't offer a reduction on your service, offer a reduction on a retail product related to a specific service.

Do you offer anything else apart from tanning?

Good luck :hug:

I just finished reading a really great article on marketing.

The one thing that sticks in my head was DO NOT offer a discount but rather a value added service.

Instead of saying "Save 50% off of your first tan"
Try saying "Buy 5 tans and receive a free Mini Manicure (value $18)"

This way, your clients are still getting something 'free' which they love (admit it-we all do) BUT the difference is that you have now introduced them to a new service, and a chance to have them book in again for a second manicure (or whatever the case may be).

You do not want to discount yourself-I've discovered that it does nothing but cause you grief. Instead you want to have clients aware of your pricing and choose you based on your fantastic service, your super-clean salon, the ambiance, not how cheap they can negotiate the cost.

Good luck!

I just finished reading a really great article on marketing.

The one thing that sticks in my head was DO NOT offer a discount but rather a value added service.

Instead of saying "Save 50% off of your first tan"
Try saying "Buy 5 tans and receive a free Mini Manicure (value $18)"

This way, your clients are still getting something 'free' which they love (admit it-we all do) BUT the difference is that you have now introduced them to a new service, and a chance to have them book in again for a second manicure (or whatever the case may be).

You do not want to discount yourself-I've discovered that it does nothing but cause you grief. Instead you want to have clients aware of your pricing and choose you based on your fantastic service, your super-clean salon, the ambiance, not how cheap they can negotiate the cost.

Good luck!

Spot on Saucygirl! I knew there was a better way of putting it :)

xx

Thanks for the info everyone !! We just do nails/toes and spray tanning so its a bit difficult introducing to other services if you see what I mean. We are going to try a glamorous package of full spray tan, nails and gel toes for X price and I think we should just stick to that. I totally agree charging a tenner constantly is financial suicide and am not prepared to do it after all the hard work etc. It was basically to get people in the door (which has worked to be fair). I want people to think they get what they pay for rather than am going there cos its a tenner. I know it sounds snobby but the nice ones dont question the price its the (oh god going to get a roasting !!) chavvy types that are moaning and yes I know they are all my customers and obviously I treat them all the same ! Shall I just stick to my guns - dont think I have much choice ! xxxx

Not Saying Chavvy Types Aren't Nice (panic Panic !!)

Hiya All

Oh SaucyGirl has got it just spot on. :) Discounting your services DOES NOT build your business it kills your business. Why? Becuase all those people who are paying £10 for their tan percieve that the price of the tan is £10. So they're all very unlikely to come back and pay full price.

Also, if you offer tans for £10 on Friday guess what'll happen? You'll be bombed out on Friday and like a ghost town the rest of the week.:rolleyes:

No. Offering your services at a lower price is not the way to go. You need to build the offer by including other treatments/retail. So, you mention you do nails. So why not include a mini manicure with a spray tan?

But you also need to put a value on the mini manicure. So how much is that worth to the client? £5, £10?

That way the offer gives the client an extra treatment valued at £5 FREE. And the really great thing is that if they really like the extra treatment they'll (a) tell all their friends about it (b) next time they book they'll want it AND be ready to pay for it!

Win win!

:hug:

Instead of having a regular/weekly one day cheapie, you could always text your clients the day or so before a quiet one & do them an offer. I find that works in getting your column filled on an otherwise poor day.

The offer is on YOUR terms then.

Hi I agree with Saucy Girl - when I have offered discounts it does not look good. I have done this with threading and it does not come across well - clients have usually given me a bit extra anyway! I feel if you offer a good service etc you should feel confident in your pricing. I understand the need to get clients in but I feel you should not compromise yourself.

The only thing i want to comment on is do not do things on a friday this should be a busy day anyway, try to create these offers on days or time you know will be quiet ie 9am-11am monday mornings....we used to do things like that on for hairdressing but on quite days, or we used to rebook our other clients for offers when we were quiet as the busy days will always be filled by others walking past.
hope that makes sense :eek:
clair
x

Reet ... problems !! Since removing the offers and replacing with a package I have had not ONE single call !! Total dilemma ! New customers are rebooking and not bothered about paying full price, but how am I going to get some more new customers in ??? Having a promotional evening next week, handed millions of flyers out etc. Still slightly cheaper than the competition. Any advice ????

Perhaps do a referral scheme with the customers you do have, for them to send their friends in.

Plenty of ideas on other current threads.

I know exactly were you are coming from. The thing is beauty at the min seems to be way down the line on list of requirements for people to have done. I am a new business like your self and offer allot more services, but the compertition is fierce to the point people are shutting down. Every one is trying to undercut everyone just to make a crust so to speak and cover over heads.
Its kinder stick to your guns with pricing or fight for what custom we can get. You look on the high street near us and there is salon after salon after salon on every corner. How do u compete. Being the best of the best is a good sart, but then the price comes into play.
Were we are the going rate for a spray tan is 15 pound. an eye brow shap is between 3.50 and 5.50. A polish is between 5 and six pound whether u use jessica or lidles own brand.
I have broke even in two weeks i have been open and monday this week am really busy but friday just gone i had one client. I have sat there all day, handing fliers out with no one coming in, i am offering discounts the works and putting my heart and sole into everyone i do, but some times that just is not good enough. Probably nine out of ten ladies have rea booked with me for the following week or month but to make a good living it needs to be regular and at the min i think in the beauty industry there is no such thing as regular. I do not know the answers, i wish i did because we would all be doing them.
jenny

The problem with this industry is the fact that so many people are trying to undercut the competition to get the business. This will NOT work! Would you sooner do 10 people for £25.00 per spray tan or 20 people at £10.00 per spray tan? Think about it - you work twice as hard for less money! And use twice as much product!

The people doing these ridiculously low offers will not be able to stay in business as they will not make money. Anything they earn will probably go straight back into buying more product and they will have no profit.

Work smarter - not harder!

I definetley would not do the offer on fridays as you will most likely find everyone wants there tan on a friday (who wouldn't at half price)

What I would probably do is create a loyalty scheme for your regular clients something like buy 5 tans get the 6th free or something like that and then to entice new customers offer them £5 off their first tan.

If there are five salons all equally nice and charging £20 for a spray tan and one has an offer of £5 off first tan then I would choose to go there and then be tempted by the loyalty scheme for regular client.

Maybe try advertising in local paper, hand out flyers, website etc.

you are so right jules, but how do us new business do that when evryone else is so cheap and then because of that the business is not coming through the door. For example me new salon, two beauty therapist in walking distance they both charge 15 pound a tan. One uses tantrick the other fake bake . Then there is me i charge twenty same tan as around the corner but they are five pound cheaper. How do we compete. Wait for them to go bust. but by then we are bust also as have had no trade for months as can not compete with competitor. Do u see were i am coming fromxxxx

I want to charge the gowing rate like everyone and earn a good honest wage and i do beleive there should be enough business for everyone. But every one every were is undercutting everyone offering the same service and bosh we are ought of work.

i think the best way forward is meeting half way, offer a loyalty scheme, compete with other salons on somethings but not on all and hope they preffer you to jo blogs down the road who charges nothing

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread im planing on going mobile once ive qualified and i think offers are good but i can see what you are saying you offer something cheap people always want it at that price sort of thing!!! Its a tough world:eek:

You're right Michelle - it is a tough world!

New businesses do not get established overnight. It takes time time to build up a reputation and get a decent client base.

Get that reputation for giving a good service with quality products - don't get it by being cheap. Cheap clients will only move on to the next cheap offer when your prices rise!

I have recently put my prices up yet my business has increased! Better to have less clients paying more than being run ragged and going bust!

Latest posts

Back