Oh so confused!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katysnails83

Reaction score
Hi all, need some impartial geek advice, my friend who has been a nail tech since 12 years old she is now 20 has her own salon (room) with her mum at their house and does really well, she is brilliant so I asked her if she would recommend whether i do gel or stick too acrylic, she says she doesn't like gel and if she was me she'd spend money on becoming excellent at acrylic and nail art rather than gel...

What do you guys think??

Thanks xxkxx:hug:

a nail tech at 12 thats quite a scary thought!

well i can only offer you an opinion from a novice point of view but I think it would be good to have a bit of experience of each system so you can offer your clients a choice. Im sure everyone has their own personal preference and I will have too when I get a bit further down the line. I will probably master the preferred system 1st as whichever you find easiest to work with is bound to produce your best nails but I would never limit myself to just sticking to one thing all the time. Maybe I am wrong but thats what I think personally chick x x x

i think she is right in one sense, stick at acrylic till you feel confident at it, then there is absolutly no reason why you shouldnt take a course in gel and fibreglass, its good to be able to offer as many choices as possible.

jac extreme said:
i think she is right in one sense, stick at acrylic till you feel confident at it, then there is absolutly no reason why you shouldnt take a course in gel and fibreglass, its good to be able to offer as many choices as possible.

thats kinda what I was trying to say but jac put it so much better than me lol!

thanks girls next question do I stick training with creative or expand my horizons??:lick:

Yes I would get really good with L&P then branch off to Ge, Fibre glass, silk after.

This is what I am doing now although my first course I had a little in put to all systems I am now just sticking to L&P until I can get this right!

Caz xxx

I use L&P, brisa gel and bio sculpture gel.
L&P brilliant for problem nails, sculpting, custom blending, soaking off.
Brisa/NSI/ other "hard" gels for French on toes brill for encapsulating and sculpting with doesnt yellow or lift. pretty rubbish to soak off so not on problem nails.
Bio great for overlay on natural nails, doesn't lift chip or peel. easy to apply and remove. does yellow especially if you use any of the french pinks. I use a uv blocking top coat to combat this (Star nails is a good one).
If a client shows an allergy to any of your systems there is always an alternative.
But it all depends on your clients lifestyle so do as many courses as you can but master the system you already use.

if being the best at only one system was the way to go then Grand Master wouldn't exist :wink2:
if you are competent in all 3 systems then you can provide nail services to more people, what suits one client might not suit another.
if you like the products you use then why change?
one thing that is bothering me slightly is who trained a 12 year old in nails???

There's no reason why you can't be competent in all three systems. i'd lose half my clients if i didn't do gel as well as L&P.

I only do acrylic at the moment. I did calgel before but it's hard to master, then I sold some of my products. I'm going to do the course in bio sculptured next year in May, can't wait to do it. She is right in the first place. It's your own personal preference.

katysnails83 said:
thanks girls next question do I stick training with creative or expand my horizons??:lick:

It is great to be excellent on one system, but it is even better from a professional stand point, to be excellent at all systems - and as far as nail art goes - only do it if your clients wear it... the majority do not!! As for your above comment, I always write funny comments like 'well you know what I would say;) ' - but on a serious note... we can partner with you to learn all systems to the best of your ability - L&P, fibreglass, gel, natural nail manicures and pedicures. If you need more advice, talk to an Academy Adviser on 0113 275 0433. HTH's :hug:

i frist trained in l&p and after 3 years have just done gel , but my 1st love is l&p i just find it nicer to work with but i suppose its what i am used to :D but i love gel on toes think it looks fab, i love other techs gel nails coz they are really good at it but i dont feel overly confident yet sure i will get there in the end though !! (hopefully )
what i am trying to say is i am glad i offer both even if i do mainly use l & p, so i think its a good choice really , x

I became a nail tech at almost 14. IMO you should do what you feel with weither yo do both or one. I dont know what to suggest gel wise thought cause im only getting into gek myself.

It's really not about what you like to do but what your clients want you to do!!

Many clients are quite explicit about what they want and many haven't a clue.

Ultimate goal for every technician should be to be equally competent at all 3 main enhancement systems so everyone can be satisfied. It is never a good thing to turn business away from your door. Do it all.

If Creative have looked after you and you trust the products and the training then stick with the best. They have the best of it all.

Hi there.
IMO its helps at times to at least sample products[sample sizes if available] from other companies & trial different application techniques.
If the opportunity arises for you to work for or with someone that doesnt use what your used to,you may struggle a little until you've mastered it...though I wouldnt stress toooo much over it at the moment.

HtH
XX J XX

I personally like acrlylic...that's only because I've never used gel...My point is, you become the best at what you do, I've always been a person that likes to know a little bit about everything...

...and yes, I do intend on getting into gel...It's something to add to your experience and that will never hurt you or anyone else!!

Latest posts

Back