Oil-free moisturisers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
I have done a quick search but not really found the answer I'm looking for.

I know that post tan we recommend our clients use an oil free moisturiser. Now, am I being a bit thick here or does that just generally mean moisturisers without mineral oil/liquid paraffin etc. (along the lines of baby oil)

The whole point of a moisturiser is to hydrate, nourish & well, moisturise the skin & the key ingredients of these products is some form of oil. Usually along the lines of almond oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil or butters like shea or cocoa.

So, are we being uneducated here about 'oil-free'? Do we really understand what we're advising our clients?

Also, if you could retail a suitable moisturiser, what would you class as 'reasonably priced/affordable'. Not necessarily what you would pay, but what your clients would?

Anyone???? Surely I'm not the only one to wonder about oil-free moisturisers....

From my basic knowledge and anyone correct me if I'm wrong oil strips the tan (which is why many people use baby oil to remove any remaining tan before a respray). An affordable one which I have been told is relatively oil free is 'simple', but not sure if you would use this as retail. Fake bake do a really nice one but obviously not as affordable. Hope this helps x

After doing a little bit of research, it's as I suspected.

Sienna X for instance has this to say about their moisturising balm "A perfectly balanced moisturiser combining luxurious natural ingredients – shea butter, coconut oil, sweet almond oil and anti-oxidant vitamin E"

So, when we advise clients to use an oil free moisturiser, should we not just be telling them to not use baby oil, which is a synthetic oil, manufactured from mineral oil?

Please feel free to correct me anybody if I'm mis informed...

I really struggle with the "oil free thing" because I think you are right about the synthetic thing but as ingredients have so many different names I have no idea if some moisturisers not labelled as oil free would actually be suitable for tans, and a lot cheaper!
Just now I'm using flawless tan step 4 its £4.40 for 125ml last me about 2 weeks, had the fake bake 925ml think that was about £30 but dont like the smell. Most customers wont pay £12 for oil free moisturiser (fake bake) so have just been recommending the one from superdrug which does not say oil free but does not break the tan down! lol xx

I advise my clients to use "non-oily" moisturisers, ie avoid those with Oil or Butter in the title. As mentioned above, there are so many products on the market that apart from Fake Bake's range it's impossible to know the ingredients of all of them. Unfortunately Fake Bake's fab products are out of a lot of my clients' price range.

One of my clients swears by using lashings of Palmer's Coco Butter after her spray tans.

I often use E45 lotion post-tan and other clients of mine use Johnson's Baby Lotion.

xx

I tried palmers coco butter and e45 both broke my tan down how weird! different strokes for different folks eh! lol xx

I advise my clients to use "non-oily" moisturisers, ie avoid those with Oil or Butter in the title. As mentioned above, there are so many products on the market that apart from Fake Bake's range it's impossible to know the ingredients of all of them. Unfortunately Fake Bake's fab products are out of a lot of my clients' price range.

One of my clients swears by using lashings of Palmer's Coco Butter after her spray tans.

I often use E45 lotion post-tan and other clients of mine use Johnson's Baby Lotion.

xx

I tried palmers coco butter and e45 both broke my tan down how weird! different strokes for different folks eh! lol xx

I'm getting in to reading labels & understanding them atm & both of these 2 products have mineral oil them. There's actually more mineral oil in palmers cocoa butter than there is cocoa butter!

Mineral oil is also known as liquid paraffin, and variants of that

I'm having a spray tan tonight. Can't remember which one it is but apparently the different types smell of cherry, chocolate or coconut? Any advice on post-tan moisturisers would be very appreciated! I have Sienna X's moisturiser but I couldn't find it anywhere the other day and think I might have left it in a hotel or something.

Anyway I'm trying out different ones before I decide what system to buy in. I've learned so much on here even though I can't actually spray tan yet! But am a bit apprehensive about this one - when I booked she said nothing about prep etc and when I asked she just said "exfoliate" but no details about not wearing deodorant etc. So it'll be interesting to hear the aftercare and what she recommends for moisturiser.

That would probably be Suntana lotion then, as thats their smells for % ages! Might be interesting where she did her training if that's all the prep advice she gave you!:irked: My clients get an advice slip sent to them if appropriate, and a reminder call about the 'no deodorant/make-up/waxing'etc and a run through of no-no's afterwards with a printed slip to take home with them. Ive tried Suntana and although I liked it a lot, I found Nouvatan was a more natural colour on my guinea pigs, but its horses for courses...different bodies react in different ways to the same solution. Nouvatan are doing a free training offer when you buy their start-up kit at the moment..try checking out their website.. As for moisturisers..I bought a huge bottle of Fake Bake for me 'cos I love the smell, but I would think that anything thats not too oily or 'buttery' would be ok, most of my clients say they already have their own, so what they actually use I couldnt say!( We can advise, but can't control what they actually put on!!)Hope this helps, keep us informed..:)

Blue Rose
Ah ha so thats why they broke my tan down! :green: lol thought it may just be my skin. There probably are moisturisers out there that are suitable for use with tans but unless it says oil free or is for use with a tan then I wont touch it as moisturisers I would normally use break my tan down! lol xx

M00min
Its suntana, I just got the 10% cherry & 12% chocolate to try, got the chocolate on just now, and the flawless tan step 4 from superdrug is a chepaer alternative for a tan suitable moisturiser from superdrug, smells brilliant like a sun bed tropical cream yum! lol xx

Last edited:
Blue Rose
Ah ha so thats why they broke my tan down! :green: lol thought it may just be my skin. There probably are moisturisers out there that are suitable for use with tans but unless it says oil free or is for use with a tan then I wont touch it as moisturisers I would normally use break my tan down! lol xx

xx

See, that's the thing, most moisturisers won't be 'oil free' per se as they need the oil/butter to moisturise & nourish the skin.

My understanding of it is that synthetic oils/mineral oils break down the tan but natural oils like almond oil etc don't.

Sally's sell one but It's not that moisturising! I love the feel of Nivea but it's not suitbale either... it's a real struggle to find one that doesn't break down but actually moisturises :(

My understanding of it is that synthetic oils/mineral oils break down the tan but natural oils like almond oil etc don't.

Sally's sell one but It's not that moisturising! I love the feel of Nivea but it's not suitbale either... it's a real struggle to find one that doesn't break down but actually moisturises :(

That's my understanding as well.
Hmmm, so, the holy grail would be a good natural oil that moisturises (which they all do) without breaking down a tan.

Thinking cap needs to go on, me thinks....

That's my understanding as well.
Hmmm, so, the holy grail would be a good natural oil that moisturises (which they all do) without breaking down a tan.

Thinking cap needs to go on, me thinks....

SG should have a "like button" lol xx

This is a very important part of tan regime and a great post. Admittedly I'm not very educated in this area or have never really considered the advice I have given about 'oil free' so carefully. The recommendation I previously gave relating to using 'simple moisturiser' was actually prompted from my training with fake bake. As their moisturiser I feel is lovely, I do appreciate it's expensive. I just asked what was the best to use if I wasn't retailing, response was 'simple'. Just wanted you to know that a high profile company recommend this, not just lil' old me ...

This is a very important part of tan regime and a great post. Admittedly I'm not very educated in this area or have never really considered the advice I have given about 'oil free' so carefully. The recommendation I previously gave relating to using 'simple moisturiser' was actually prompted from my training with fake bake. As their moisturiser I feel is lovely, I do appreciate it's expensive. I just asked what was the best to use if I wasn't retailing, response was 'simple'. Just wanted you to know that a high profile company recommend this, not just lil' old me ...

Hehe, just goes to show that the higher profile companies don't know it all either.

I know it's sounds like I'm being really pernickity (sp?) here but simple Kind To Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser & Kind To Skin Replenishing Rich Moisturiser both contain mineral oil!

Jergens Naturals Ultra Hydrating Body Moisturiser contains lots of natutral plant/seed oils & butters but NO mineral oil.

Hehe, just goes to show that the higher profile companies don't know it all either.

I know it's sounds like I'm being really pernickity (sp?) here but simple Kind To Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser & Kind To Skin Replenishing Rich Moisturiser both contain mineral oil!

Jergens Naturals Ultra Hydrating Body Moisturiser contains lots of natutral plant/seed oils & butters but NO mineral oil.

Whooops! Me thinks I'd better considering changing my advice, and my advice slips come to think of it :irked:. Thanks for your help :)

Its strange because one of my clients uses the simple not a problem and her tan lasted 2 weeks! but I use simple on my face and had run out of oil free and tried it it broke my tan down! lol baffeled! xx

Latest posts

Back