Olaplex question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalonWingman

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help? Ive used Olaplex on a client in three bleach successions (over a period of 3 weeks) which helped achieve the correct colour and the hair felt great. Now 12 weeks have passed since the client has been in and the hair is now very dry and damaged and so I recommended Olaplex again.

So my question is why does the hair feel damaged after this period of time? Do you have to keep re-applying the Olaplex to maintain a good quality of hair even if they aren't having it coloured\bleached again?

Aftercare is the issue, I had a client get horrific snappage after 8 or 9 weeks, she'd been using John frieda sheer blonde shampoo :mad:

Also keep in mind Olaplex is permanent but it is still processed hair so it will wear down with incorrect/no hair care. She will need another Olaplex treatment and also deep conditioning, gentle detangling when wet, omitting heat and so on.

So my question is why does the hair feel damaged after this period of time? Do you have to keep re-applying the Olaplex to maintain a good quality of hair even if they aren't having it coloured\bleached again?

Olaplex repairs hair from the inside so it won't necessarily alter the way the hair feels on the outside. If the cuticle layer is damaged for instance, Olaplex can't fix it.

You still need to use moisturising conditioners, heat protectors, protein treatments and the correct shampoo etc.

You have to remember that Olaplex also isn't a protien or hydrator so your client should be using her Olaplex no.3 at least 2 times a week to maintain the Olaplex but when coming to shampoo and conditioning also needs to have protien and hydration shampoo and conditioner to balance all of these out to make her hair healthy again. I've had training with Olaplex reps and been the get together and the reps cannot stress enough at how you still need to be usuing hydration and protien and not just relying on the Olaplex. Olaplex builds the chemically broken down bonds in the hair not add protien and hydration. Hope this helps x

Personally I think , how the hell did we manage before all these so called miraculous plex products

It's essential when using Olaplex in services to have the client take home the no 3 if they don't they aren't truly maintaining the bonds that you're repairing in the hair. Also you must take care of moisture and protein needs separately

my understanding is that they will need to continue with the no3 at home religiously to keep it up and also good quality protein/moisture shampoo/conditioning as the olaplex works on the bonds and not on moisturising etc. so, the stuff they got from chemist aint going to cut it, especially if they are paying a fair chunk for their hair services. personally if they arent willing to invest in quality aftercare id be reluctant to do it, purely as then they are walking around with crap looking hair that wasnt when you did it. then they would also be telling everyone that it doesnt work and not worth the money...

I agree with everyone's comments, she needs to keep using the #3 at home as her homework once a week, and then for the outer part of the hair, I like the use Redken Extreme Mask, it has 3 things that help with the "feel" of the hair, protein (this type is plant & grain based so it can't build up) it has moisture and then Ceramides which are the inner-cellular cement that helps to keep the bundles of hair tightly together.
I tell my clients to wet their hair in the kitchen sink, towel dry apply the #3 Olaplex, wait 20 minutes, rinse, shampoo and then apply the Redken Extreme Mask, this way she is doing everything she can to keep her hair in top shape.

Latest posts

Back